News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I was "trapped" on a westbound 501 today, when it arrived at Humber Loop ahead of schedule, to find four Flexities lined up in the loop waiting their time to come east. Our car stopped east of the paved platform, so our operator would not open the doors. When people complained that he was making them late, he replied "You can't be late, we're ahead of schedule". For him, maybe.
In my case, I watched as the connecting 66 bus came down the Queensway into the loop. The streetcars pulled ahead just in time that I could finally disembark and run for the bus. At Boxing Day headways, I would have been pretty annoyed had I missed that bus while I was waiting to arrive at the platform.

- Paul
I ended up speaking to the driver on my 501 car that was crawling on Christmas Day. I asked him if there was something wrong with the streetcar that was causing us to move so slowly. I pointed out that there were 2 streetcars and a long line-up of cars behind us, but nobody in front. The driver acted as though I was crazy, and told me that he was "plus-8". I didn't bother to ask any further questions, but it's clear that streetcar passengers need to stage an uprising. The 501 service these past few days. The 504 drivers who stop before every intersection for no reason, as there is a green light and no switch in the intersection. The morning commute streetcar drivers who stop the car to educate passengers/"make a point". The 510 drivers who swap out of their shift one stop after departing late from Spadina station during the morning rush. It's not fair, and it's not right. I get that this is also the TTC at issue. Any streetcar drivers on these forums want to chime in?

I ended up speaking to the driver on my 501 car that was crawling on Christmas Day. I asked him if there was something wrong with the streetcar that was causing us to move so slowly. I pointed out that there were 2 streetcars and a long line-up of cars behind us, but nobody in front. The driver acted as though I was crazy, and told me that he was "plus-8". I didn't bother to ask any further questions, but it's clear that streetcar passengers need to stage an uprising. The 501 service these past few days. The 504 drivers who stop before every intersection for no reason, as there is a green light and no switch in the intersection. The morning commute streetcar drivers who stop the car to educate passengers/"make a point". The 510 drivers who swap out of their shift one stop after departing late from Spadina station during the morning rush. It's not fair, and it's not right. I get that this is also the TTC at issue. Any streetcar drivers on these forums want to chime in?

I would make a complaint to the TTC complaint website at http://www.ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Compliments_Complaints_Suggestions/index.jsp AND to your Councillor at https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/council/members-of-council/, as well as the Mayor at mayor_tory@toronto.ca. All three, just in case the complaint "gets lost in the mail".

The schedule is so ridiculously written that presumes the cars will stop at every stop for 30 seconds. If the car manage to skip half the stops, it'll be way ahead of schedule. The driver is either forced to drive slowly or open the doors for an excessively long time for nobody while blocking traffic. They are making it so that an empty streetcar would take as much time as fully packed streetcar to complete the same distance. Maybe it's a good reason to get rid of half the stops and have a standard of 300-400m.

By the way, +8 means 8 minutes ahead of schedule for anyone wondering.

4595 has enter service on 504B after arriving Dec 13

4597 has enter service on 512 after arriving Dec 12

To be honest I think the speed restriction at intersections has extended beyond just the intersections on the Queensway ROW. I've been noticing over the past couple of months, many operators have been slowing down at all signalized intersections before accelerating again once the vehicle has cleared the intersection. I dont know if this is official protocol, but I wouldnt be surprised at all since the TTC has some kind of obsession with crippling streetcar operations by finding anyway possible to slow down service in the name of "safety". I know management claims that streetcars should reduce their speed at intersections on the ROW to reduce the chances of streetcars getting into collisions with left turning vehicles, and to be honest, it's one of the most laughable policies they have.

There are other "standard" speed restrictions elsewhere on the system - 10km/h over all "specialwork" (switches, crossings, etc.), and there is one at all signalized intersections of I believe 25km/h. Those don't have signs, whereas the 7km/h one on the Queensway at least did at one time.

If its any consolation, many of the operators on the system are pretty disappointed with the new rules as well, with some of them going far enough to suggest that the TTC is trying to purposely hinder or even sabotage the operation of the system.

As for the additional running time given to the schedules during the holidays, it leads me to the question of what in the hell kind of planning management is doing? Do they really think people are going to be cramming the streets on Christmas Day to the point vehicles will be running behind schedule?

The problem is this - in years past, the Commission would draw up specific schedules for special days, such as Christmas and New Years. As much as trying to match the service on the street with what was needed, it was also a way to try and keep as many operators home with their families.

But several things have happened in the past 40 or so years. For one, ridership doesn't like a special schedule, especially one that doesn't necessarily resemble the schedules that they already have the information for. So in the 1980s, they changed all the schedules to be "standardized". Holiday schedules are the same as Sunday schedules. And while this worked for a long time, in the past 10 years or so the ridership of non-peak times has exploded while peak time ridership has increased at a far smaller level, meaning that the Sunday schedules on many routes now look almost the same as weekday schedules. And the problem is that the Sunday level or ridership is not necessarily the same as how many people ride on holidays, so there is this extra service that is operated seemingly needlessly.

And while I can hear a lot of you yelling "well, we have apps and websites that allow us to see when a bus is coming!", unfortunately they aren't a panacea either. It's hasn't really made things any easier for the planners - for instance, they still need to get the data out to the providers as much as 2 weeks in advance to the change, and when there are problems with it the feed can fail (which has happened several times when the TTC has instituted major schedule changes) - which then means that people can't rely on those apps that they need to rely on.

Bottom line: there really isn't an easy fix to this. As it is, the TTC already runs a level of service well above-and-beyond what the ridership calls for (late night service on the subway system, for instance, and the 10-minute network as another) on an annual basis, so doing so on couple of singular days isn't going to hurt the bottom line. And while supervision of the routes is already atrocious, I'm not sure that increasing it - and then forcing vehicles to stop and sit every kilometer or two to get back onto time - is going to do any good here.

Dan

^4599 was on the move across the north this morning - guess that's Santa's ride for this Christmas Eve.

- Paul

Update on 4599. Billy Johnston posted these in the WEIRD TORONTO Facebook group: "Not weird, but kind of cool. I never seen that before." I've copied Billy's pictures below because it's a closed group (you have to request to join) so the link won't show the pictures.

1577464490870.png

1577464509448.png

1577464545142.png

1577464562446.png

Update on 4599. Billy Johnston posted these in the WEIRD TORONTO Facebook group: "Not weird, but kind of cool. I never seen that before." I've copied Billy's pictures below because it's a closed group (you have to request to join) so the link won't show the pictures.

View attachment 222594

Each and every one come with a trolley? Why? If the CLRV are "disappearing" from revenue service?

There are other "standard" speed restrictions elsewhere on the system - 10km/h over all "specialwork" (switches, crossings, etc.), and there is one at all signalized intersections of I believe 25km/h. Those don't have signs, whereas the 7km/h one on the Queensway at least did at one time.

If its any consolation, many of the operators on the system are pretty disappointed with the new rules as well, with some of them going far enough to suggest that the TTC is trying to purposely hinder or even sabotage the operation of the system.

The problem is this - in years past, the Commission would draw up specific schedules for special days, such as Christmas and New Years. As much as trying to match the service on the street with what was needed, it was also a way to try and keep as many operators home with their families.

But several things have happened in the past 40 or so years. For one, ridership doesn't like a special schedule, especially one that doesn't necessarily resemble the schedules that they already have the information for. So in the 1980s, they changed all the schedules to be "standardized". Holiday schedules are the same as Sunday schedules. And while this worked for a long time, in the past 10 years or so the ridership of non-peak times has exploded while peak time ridership has increased at a far smaller level, meaning that the Sunday schedules on many routes now look almost the same as weekday schedules. And the problem is that the Sunday level or ridership is not necessarily the same as how many people ride on holidays, so there is this extra service that is operated seemingly needlessly.

And while I can hear a lot of you yelling "well, we have apps and websites that allow us to see when a bus is coming!", unfortunately they aren't a panacea either. It's hasn't really made things any easier for the planners - for instance, they still need to get the data out to the providers as much as 2 weeks in advance to the change, and when there are problems with it the feed can fail (which has happened several times when the TTC has instituted major schedule changes) - which then means that people can't rely on those apps that they need to rely on.

Bottom line: there really isn't an easy fix to this. As it is, the TTC already runs a level of service well above-and-beyond what the ridership calls for (late night service on the subway system, for instance, and the 10-minute network as another) on an annual basis, so doing so on couple of singular days isn't going to hurt the bottom line. And while supervision of the routes is already atrocious, I'm not sure that increasing it - and then forcing vehicles to stop and sit every kilometer or two to get back onto time - is going to do any good here.

Dan

Are the schedules fixed with a timestamp? Shouldn't they be 2± minutes, 5± minutes, 10± minutes behind the vehicle in front of them?

Each and every one come with a trolley? Why? If the CLRV are "disappearing" from revenue service?
Because not "ALL" of the overhead has been converted to Pans Yet. Contract calls for "ALL 204 CARS" to come with both "NOW", compare to car 60 in the original contract because of delays for the overhead system. A number of intersections still not done, and will not be done until 2021. King 504A and Queen 501 will remain pole until late 2021.

Lack of funds main reason for the delay or Peter pay Paul to have work done.

+ behind a car in front of car is only good if you have good line management which TTC doesn't have. Then riders themselves can cause longer delays as well traffic. Most schedules are based on a time unseen by riders these days for various route. A route having 10 minute service has a schedule and drivers have then or should have it, but what good is it when drivers are - time to a point they are a bus or 2 down due to many issues on the route??

The TTC has been screwing with streetcar operations for years now, and honestly I think it's only going to get worse.

I cant wait to see what new tricks they have in-store for the city for the next decade to come, especially under the leadership of this new laughing stalk of a CEO.

The TTC has been screwing with streetcar operations for years now, and honestly I think it's only going to get worse.

I cant wait to see what new tricks they have in-store for the city for the next decade to come, especially under the leadership of this new laughing stalk of a CEO.

A lot of that comes from the underfunding of the TTC and its operations. When the suburban Councillors order cut after cut after cut (under the guise of "efficiencies"), track and switch maintenance get cut to cover the cost of potholes in those Councillors' ward first. They rather reduce the streetcar budget because they don't use public transit in the first place.

They were doing track work on Queen E on Sat as we headed downtown from Russell and not sure were it was. Track work look like it was being done on the eastbound track, but could be wrong.

There are many location where concrete for the rails needs replacing and most of the problems for the concrete failure is from traffic and trucks, not streetcars. These locations are where on street parking take place.

Under the current CEO, TTC is going backward at faster pace than the slow moving forward pace under Andy.

Back