News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Knowing where all the vehicles are and communicating with and from them - a replacement for the older CIS system. Some info at: https://stevemunro.ca/comparing-vehicle-tracking-data-from-cis-vision-and-nextbus-transee/

And yet, it does more than that as well.

VISION allows for supervising of the surface transit routes along with communication - both by text/map, and/or by voice. It also allows supervisors to notify just the vehicles on a specific route or within a specific geographical area, which was not something that CIS was capable of. It also ties in the internal and external displays and announcement systems, so that the operator only has one location where they have to manage all of those previously separate systems.

Dan

And yet, it does more than that as well.

VISION allows for supervising of the surface transit routes along with communication - both by text/map, and/or by voice. It also allows supervisors to notify just the vehicles on a specific route or within a specific geographical area, which was not something that CIS was capable of. It also ties in the internal and external displays and announcement systems, so that the operator only has one location where they have to manage all of those previously separate systems.

Dan
Thanks, as usual, for the details and it all sounds good in theory but from Steve Munro's recent analyses of the 70 bus (all buses now have VISION, I think) there is still no adequate (or any?) actual route supervision.

Thanks, as usual, for the details and it all sounds good in theory but from Steve Munro's recent analyses of the 70 bus (all buses now have VISION, I think) there is still no adequate (or any?) actual route supervision.

It's not just adequate - in the case of the 70, it sounds like like there has been an astounding lack of supervision on not just O'Connor, but many other routes as well. VISION is supposed to - in theory, of course - allow for better supervision of the vehicles as it allows for roadside supervisors the same abilities and overviews via a tablet as the guys at the desks have. But alas, it seems that they've yet to make use of it.

For the record, the bus network is entirely on VISION. Streetcars are not as yet, as they've had issues with the system communicating with the hardware on the Flexities. 4486 is actually the second car to have VISION installed - I think that 4470 was the first one, and they removed it as it was giving them all sorts of headaches.

Dan

20191224_143339.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry folks. Meant to mention this last night. Was on Leslie St at Lakeshore last evening about 10:00. 4556 was returning to the Barns from a run on 509 and it was using the pantograph. Can’t say I’ve seen panto on Leslie before. 4489 was right behind it coming off 504B but it was using the trolley pole.

Sorry folks. Meant to mention this last night. Was on Leslie St at Lakeshore last evening about 10:00. 4556 was returning to the Barns from a run on 509 and it was using the pantograph. Can’t say I’ve seen panto on Leslie before. 4489 was right behind it coming off 504B but it was using the trolley pole.
Broadview Ave and Parliament St north of Queen St have signs up saying no Pans north of this locations. Maybe a driver forgot to lower the pans or King is now 100% ready up to Spadina.

Broadview Ave and Parliament St north of Queen St have signs up saying no Pans north of this locations. Maybe a driver forgot to lower the pans or King is now 100% ready up to Spadina.

King Street has been 100% pantograph ready Bathurst for a while. Often see 512 cars with pans up on the stretch between Bathust and Spadina while going to / from Leslie. I believe King Street was supposed to be pan ready to Bathurst starting in early September, but did not see cars with pans up until the October / November time frame.

I have seen pantos up on Leslie for many months, not on all cars but on a high %.

Back