News   Jul 11, 2024
 223     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 519     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 636     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

It seems unlikely that the streetcar network will undergo any expansion, beyond minor expansions similar in scope to Cherry St (though I even doubt that much), within the foreseeable future.

I don't know why you'd say that. In the relatively recent past (at least in the world of transit infrastructure), we've had the 509 Harboufront, 510 Spadina, 514 Cherry and a complete rebuilt of the 512 St Clair. And in the near future (if all goes according the plan), we'll have both the Waterfront East and Waterfront West LRTs (which will surely be using legacy streetcars). The latter two being the largest addition to our streetcar network in a generation

It seems unlikely that the streetcar network will undergo any expansion, beyond minor expansions similar in scope to Cherry St (though I even doubt that much), within the foreseeable future. As for LRT lines, I haven't heard of any of the potential lines having a problem with bridge clearance since those are on more major roads--if it can fit a truck, it can fit an LRV or streetcar+wire. Look at King near Atlantic, that's a pretty low bridge and it works fine.
Right now, the Cherry St underpass is a problem today and could cost $50 million to fix it for everyone. Got to build new bridges for the Portland area as well Dufferin St to support Streetcars. May need a new bridge over the Humber River if the Western Waterfront Line stays on the Lake Shore. A possibility of a tunnel at Bathurst/Fleet/Lake Shore/Queens Quay. Then you got the Union Station mess.

As for King, how slow do the streetcar travel under that bridge?

If I look at 2035 for expansion, you got CNE loop to Dufferin by 2021, You got Dufferin to Park Lawn by 2 different routes; you got Cherry St extension along with the Commissioner line. Then the Queens Way E Union to Parliament and then to Cherry St. There talk about putting Parliament back in service from Queens Quay to Castle Frank. The Broadview extension to Commissioner under the GO Corridor. Eglinton east and west extension. These aren't small expansion. You could see a line on the Queensway out to Sherway Mall and the Kipling line that been in TTC rear view mirror. The next 10-20 years could see more if ones allow it to happen aka Sheppard.

Going to repost something I put in TTC catch all since it should had been here in the first place and not by me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Perhaps the most pertinent question is the Costs (CAPAX and Operational and Maintenance) associated with Wire-Free. In Sydney the new light rail extension (CBD and South East Light Rail – CSELR) now under construction has committed to 2kms of APS in the centre of the city with the remainder of the system, some 12 kms being supplied by overhead.

Attempting to establish the additional costs associated with the APS system is difficult as the proponents of APS both here and elsewhere maintain a virtual iron curtain around this information. Nevertheless local sources are suggesting that the 2 km APS section will add an extra $200 million to the overall project cost. The proponents have neither confirmed nor denied this $200 million figure.

Observations of the Dubai and Bordeaux systems reveal a constant and ongoing need to replace mechanical components both on the tram and within the contact zone area of the ground level power contacts. Here again the costs associated with this maintenance are tightly held by the APS proponents. How can an informed buyer for the tramway system establish that the tramway system is getting value for money?

A further question is the increase in the capital cost per tram and the weight penalty added to each tram resulting in increased power consumption over the life of the vehicle.

Operational criteria applying in system operations cannot be overlooked, this involves frequency of service, load of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning systems on the power supply system of the LRV, the operational speeds of tramway operation and the system gradients and dwell time at stops and the number of stops all of which can increase power demand. The marketers of wire-less system always showcase systems that have significant recovery times at termini and/or very leisurely system operating speeds.

It is noteworthy that there are 18 UNESCO World Heritage listed cities with tramways in Europe, the ultimate in terms of the need for historic and aesthetic sensitivity. These are Riga, Tallinn, Graz, Vienna, Bern, Edinburgh, Strasbourg, Florence, Naples, Porto, Lyon, Le Havre, Budapest, Kracow, St Petersburg, Yaroslavl, Prague and Warsaw.

In every one of these without exception, the trams are powered by overhead wire, even in the French cities of Nice (the site of an early trial of wireless power) and Le Havre. UNESCO has pretty onerous requirements about management of the heritage of these cities with which member states are treaty-bound to comply. In all the reports I've seen, never have tram wires been raised as an issue.

Several of the cities, including Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Warsaw, have among the busiest tram systems in the world, demanding infrastructure and trams to be as cost-effective and as fail-safe as possible. Many of the cities are not terribly wealthy, with few exceptions like Vienna which even lately has admitted it has financial difficulties that prevent it undertaking, for example, intensive maintenance work like Melbourne does.

What seems to come out of this is that jurisdictions entertaining wireless power are characterised by a combination of one or all of the following factors: pretension, a surfeit of money and/or a not very onerous operation.

Although it is becoming somewhat vintage the following Systra Report gives a good background to the wire-free debate. The report was commissioned by the historic city of Dublin and resulted in Dublin’s decision to continue to use overhead wiring and not incorporate wire-free.

<https://1f19be030965d7aa9cd5-0ea8ebfb2bc7a6161d6ab1bbbbe2306e.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/NA0004SystraReport.pdf>

A further consideration is the ability/willingness of the grid supply authority to provide for a highly ‘peaked’ power demand required by fast charge on board storage systems. Ideally a supply authority seeks to achieve a constant demand for its electricity as this enables the supply authority to minimise its supply infrastructure, cabling sizes and system fluctuations costs. To supply a fast charge load the supply authority will usually demand a capital contribution and significant ‘peak demand surcharge penalty' on the tramway request for power.

Tony P wrote:
Yes I think this is what will happen Tony. The French have brought in their own standards that are not entirely compatible with the 1990s local standards under which IWLR was built and TfNSW is too weak/uninformed to challenge that. The problem is that the French standards will likely preclude any future competitor taking over from them. That's they way they operate. French industries help each other, hence the commercial success (with often mediocre products).

Further feedback from Europe (where I often learn more about what's happening in Australia than I hear from Australia, because here it's "commercial in confidence" whereas there it's openly known) is a claim (which I can't substantiate at this stage) that Systra was involved in design of GCLR and designed it for Citadis trams. It then, according to this information, had to be redone when the consortium with Bombardier won. Digging back through documentation that I have, I find that Systra did the depot design but I can't put my finger on anything else yet. Perhaps somebody else knows.

This is not a surprise to me in any case. This is a typical aggressive national strategy for market dominance and good luck for the French, not so good luck for others who find themselves dealing with all that mass-concrete track built for Citadis in 30 years when it wears out.

Personally, I would welcome it if they could use the Citadis trams on IWLR because that four-door CAF design is a disaster for the demand that they didn't predict. How lucky too that the line is almost all side-platforms so that they can extend them without disrupting the service. I agree that double-length trams would be a good idea at least at peaks. They need to duplicate the Dulwich Hill terminus though.

I don't know why you'd say that. In the relatively recent past (at least in the world of transit infrastructure), we've had the 509 Harboufront, 510 Spadina, 514 Cherry and a complete rebuilt of the 512 St Clair. And in the near future (if all goes according the plan), we'll have both the Waterfront East and Waterfront West LRTs (which will surely be using legacy streetcars). The latter two being the largest addition to our streetcar network in a generation

509 and 510 happened in a very different political/public opinion climate, and other transit projects weren't nearly as crucial at the time because density hadn't suddenly exploded in almost every corner of the GTHA simultaneously, and the maintenance to-do/unfunded list wasn't so long before, among other things, Ford's administration. I find it amusing that you mention the 512 rebuild as evidence that streetcar expansion is possible in the near future considering how much public and political distaste there was, and largely still is, for that project.

The first half of my comment specifically referred to the streetcar network. The only potential expansion there that I've heard of is a slight westward extension of the 512 and possibly bringing it south to BD, but I believe the extension is unlikely and the BD connection sheer fantasy. I'm not aware of any other plans to expand the streetcar network. Right now, we have enough subway and LRT expansion, and a huge maintenance backlog, that I don't see where the money to expand the SC network would come from, or in what century that would become a priority after all the current critical work is done. Not to mention that so many suburban councillors hate streetcars downtown so much because it interferes with their driving that it's fortunate streetcars haven't been scrapped altogether any one of a dozen times in the last half a century, let alone expanding the network.

And I'm not sure why you quoted the first half of my post and omitted the second which stated "As for LRT lines, I haven't heard of any of the potential lines having a problem with bridge clearance since those are on more major roads--if it can fit a truck, it can fit an LRV or streetcar+wire." WW would likely run mostly on Lakeshore and WE on Queen's Quay E/Cherry/Commissioners. Sheppard E, Jane, Eglinton W, Eglinton E, I don't think any of those would be too likely to suffer from bridges too low to fit overhead for LRVs, since they mostly run on major roads with ample clearance. And as you said in your other comment, if that happens in one or two places it's undoubtedly easier to fix the bridge height rather than bury a power system (not yet proven in Canadian winters, I think) and buy vehicles with the capability to use it.

The first half of my comment specifically referred to the streetcar network. The only potential expansion there that I've heard of is a slight westward extension of the 512 and possibly bringing it south to BD, but I believe the extension is unlikely and the BD connection sheer fantasy.

Again, you're ignoring the Waterfront East/East Bayfront and Waterfront West LRTs, which will be the largest expansion of our legacy streetcar network in a generation.

Again, you're ignoring the Waterfront East/East Bayfront and Waterfront West LRTs, which will be the largest expansion of our legacy streetcar network in a generation.

I'm not sure how many times I should post the exact same thing.

My first post's second half which you selectively omitted: "As for LRT lines, I haven't heard of any of the potential lines having a problem with bridge clearance since those are on more major roads--if it can fit a truck, it can fit an LRV or streetcar+wire."

My second post: "And I'm not sure why you quoted the first half of my post and omitted the second which stated "As for LRT lines, I haven't heard of any of the potential lines having a problem with bridge clearance since those are on more major roads--if it can fit a truck, it can fit an LRV or streetcar+wire." WW would likely run mostly on Lakeshore and WE on Queen's Quay E/Cherry/Commissioners[...]"

And streetcar is not the same thing as LRT! My main point in noting the difference is that, as I repeatedly said, LRT lines generally run along more major roads with truck traffic where clearances are already likely sufficient for overhead; some tighter spaces might exist on more minor routes that would correspond to legacy streetcar service, but my point was that there is no planned expansion of the legacy network and I don't think it's likely.

Please be kind enough to read my posts before saying I'm ignoring something...

Much as I would like to see the WWE and WWW lines being built I am not really optimistic that they will actually happen in the next decade. One POSSIBLE bright spot is that because Metrolinx are going to add tracks to the eastern Union Station Rail Corridor it is POSSIBLE that they will totally rebuild the Cherry Street bridge and it will be (could be) wide enough (high enough) to allow the Cherry Street line to go through and link to a QQE line. That would make that line much more viable as it could provide service to Union and the waterfront from Broadview subway.

That said, it would be nice to have a wire free option to allow trams to get under low bridges/structures that would otherwise prevent network expansion.

I'm not sure that there has ever been that concern in Toronto - and we've had some pretty low underpasses.

Right now, the Cherry St underpass is a problem today and could cost $50 million to fix it for everyone.

But that's not a height problem, that's a lane count problem.

Got to build new bridges for the Portland area as well Dufferin St to support Streetcars.

Again, that's not a height problem.

As for King, how slow do the streetcar travel under that bridge?

The speed limit is a recent thing. They certainly had no issues with the TRC cars, Witts and PCCs zipping along under there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Much as I would like to see the WWE and WWW lines being built I am not really optimistic that they will actually happen in the next decade. One POSSIBLE bright spot is that because Metrolinx are going to add tracks to the eastern Union Station Rail Corridor it is POSSIBLE that they will totally rebuild the Cherry Street bridge and it will be (could be) wide enough (high enough) to allow the Cherry Street line to go through and link to a QQE line. That would make that line much more viable as it could provide service to Union and the waterfront from Broadview subway.

IIRC, with the federal funding that was announced a few months ago, we should have enough funding to pay for Relief Line Short, Eglinton East LRT and the Waterfront LRT lines. Of course this assumes that the province will match the federal funding, which is a requirement for the funding to be made available.

I'm not sure how many times I should post the exact same thing.

My first post's second half which you selectively omitted: "As for LRT lines, I haven't heard of any of the potential lines having a problem with bridge clearance since those are on more major roads--if it can fit a truck, it can fit an LRV or streetcar+wire."

My second post: "And I'm not sure why you quoted the first half of my post and omitted the second which stated "As for LRT lines, I haven't heard of any of the potential lines having a problem with bridge clearance since those are on more major roads--if it can fit a truck, it can fit an LRV or streetcar+wire." WW would likely run mostly on Lakeshore and WE on Queen's Quay E/Cherry/Commissioners[...]"

And streetcar is not the same thing as LRT! My main point in noting the difference is that, as I repeatedly said, LRT lines generally run along more major roads with truck traffic where clearances are already likely sufficient for overhead; some tighter spaces might exist on more minor routes that would correspond to legacy streetcar service, but my point was that there is no planned expansion of the legacy network and I don't think it's likely.

Please be kind enough to read my posts before saying I'm ignoring something...

I think our point of contention is that we have different ideas of what the "legacy network" is. I'm saying WWLRT and East Bayfront are part of the legacy network because they interface with the existing streetcar network and will use the normal TTC streetcars.

You're making a distinction between the legacy network and LRT based on how the vehicles are operated (grade separations and whatnot).

What's wrong with the UPE vehicles? Were they delivered late, poorly assembled or overbudget?

I believe they were on time, but they were extremely unreliable in the beginning--I seem to recall several incidents of fires starting due to engine issues. Service delays due to train problems were a somewhat regular occurrence for a while. I believe this was a large part of the reason they were, and still are, largely running packed-with-standees 2-car trainsets instead of the full 3-car sets exclusively, they can't trust enough of their units to run safely and need spares.

Back