News   Jun 28, 2024
 3K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 613     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Still no word when we will see pans. Someone did say it was to be fall of 2018 with testing being done on St Clair. I would say 2017 since this line has been ready since 2010 for it and some upgrading took place the last 2 years. Then why St Clair when 510 was done for 2014 to the point we have 509, 510 and 511 ready, unless I miss a section on 511.

Conversion of Overhead Contact Systems Poles to Pantographs

Fascinating article, thanks for posting it. More detail on streetcar overhead than one needs but ....

thats for the pantographs. most of the network is still the old style of wire. You can see in some places though where they have both of them with the new wire in short sections.

They replaced the contact wire on virtually the whole system starting about 8 or 9 years ago, well before the Flexities came into service. This is that heavier-gauge wire that I'm talking about.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They replaced the contact wire on virtually the whole system starting about 8 or 9 years ago, well before the Flexities came into service. This is that heavier-gauge wire that I'm talking about.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Ah ok my bad I didn't know that they had used the same wire system wide because it's still hung in the older fashion still.

It's likely they are still having problems with a mixed system. Sounds to me it's either poles or pans, not both at the same time. Spadina is used for detouring for the 511 as well as the 506, 505, 501 and 504 at times.
I suppose they could test all pans on the 512 but that requires the operator to put the pole back up when heading back to Leslie.

If the TTC is going to have poles on all 204 new streetcars and all rebuild ALRVs will have pans, I wouldn't be surprised if they will do a big bang switch one day.

Switching to pans does bring the TTC to world standards and all bidirectional cars to operate one day. Almost all modern systems have moved on, TTC is really late to the party.

I wonder if it will be a decision they make once the entire streetcar network is ready to get rid of poles?
I wish Toronto would get rid of transit and utility poles entirely.

This US firm makes streetcars that do not need overhead wires, http://www.brookvillecorp.com/streetcar-modern.asp

As does Alstrom.

tn_fr-bordeaux-tram-alstom.jpg

At the same time let's put hydro and other utility conduits under ground, same as we do for water, gas and sewage.

This US firm makes streetcars that do not need overhead wires, http://www.brookvillecorp.com/streetcar-modern.asp

As does Alstrom.

At the same time let's put hydro and other utility conduits under ground, same as we do for water, gas and sewage.

Detroit QLine cars are only 66' that are 70% lowfloor and only seat 34 built by Brookville. It not ready for prime time running 80% off wire. The car needs 5 minute charging time on line at various stations and close to 10 at the ends. I rode them on day on to the point there was so much problems with them that no fare will be charge to ride the system until Sept instead of May 14. Current free ridership is 6,500. 30 cars have been tag for parking on the rails along with another 7 cars been tow.

This company can only product small order and couldn't handle TTC requirement. Not sure what the length of the Dallas cars are, but they have more overhead than Detroit.

Rode Alstom battery power car in Nice and only good for short distance up to a mile. This also applies to other systems that have these cars. They are very nice cars that will meed TTC needs.

I fully agree that all utilities should be underground and be done when developers are doing their thing as part of section 37.

As does Alstrom.

Umm, Bombardier makes this, in the model of flexity we bought. Why the need to look to other companies as examples?

http://primove.bombardier.com/applications/tram.html

It was an option that the TTC opted to not spend the money on.

Umm, Bombardier makes this, in the model of flexity we bought. Why the need to look to other companies as examples?

http://primove.bombardier.com/applications/tram.html

It was an option that the TTC opted to not spend the money on.
Have they been tested for our type of weather and where??

A number of manufactures have this system as well.

I can see the reason why TTC didn't go this way now, but it and other method will be looked at for the next fleet due in 2040's.

Has 4441 show up at Hillcrest yet and one car short for this month delivery schedule? If it hasn't, 2 car short for July with the possibility of see 4 cars in Aug to bring the schedule back on track. Otherwise, a snow ball effect for the rest of the year.

Um, maybe because Bombardier can't deliver LR vehicles on time, on budget or with quality build/assembly? Do we really want to be Bombardier's test case for this system? Have you not been following this thread or issue at all?

I'd like to see Toronto buy anything on rails just once NOT from Bombardier, just to see what's possible from the market. Metrolinx did it with the UPE and now with the Alstrom buy on the Eglinton CT.

Um, maybe because Bombardier can't deliver LR vehicles on time, on budget or with quality build/assembly? Do we really want to be Bombardier's test case for this system? Have you not been following this thread or issue at all?
What does that have to do with the TTC ordering their Primove system? When they ordered the streetcars, the TTC was pretty content with Bombardier. No one predicted late delivery and quality control issues. These issues could just as easily have happened to any another manufacturer, and has.

I'd like to see Toronto buy anything on rails just once NOT from Bombardier, just to see what's possible from the market. Metrolinx did it with the UPE.
Yeah, that hasn't exactly been trouble free.

vendor lock in. That said, it would be nice to have a wire free option to allow trams to get under low bridges/structures that would otherwise prevent network expansion.

It seems unlikely that the streetcar network will undergo any expansion, beyond minor expansions similar in scope to Cherry St (though I even doubt that much), within the foreseeable future. As for LRT lines, I haven't heard of any of the potential lines having a problem with bridge clearance since those are on more major roads--if it can fit a truck, it can fit an LRV or streetcar+wire. Look at King near Atlantic, that's a pretty low bridge and it works fine.

vendor lock in. That said, it would be nice to have a wire free option to allow trams to get under low bridges/structures that would otherwise prevent network expansion.

Have there been cases of low bridges preventing network expansion? If there was a low bridge, could we not simply modify or remove the bridge structure? This feels like a solution in search of a problem.

Back