News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 853     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Interesting that some of those "first use" "fully equipped" periods overlap, so for instance 505 gets one or more before 511 fully equipped, 501 gets one before 505 fully equipped. Wonder if that is gradually ramp up service so effects on loops etc can be moderated as well as balancing west-end yard/east-end yard deployment.
They probably want to provide accessibility to another line instead of fully converting one line first. This new schedule is disappointing to 501 and 505 riders.

nfitz is correct. The new cars are being introduced one-for-one to the legacy cars to meet the off-peak requirements of the route; any cars above this would be put onto the next route in the order. This maximizes the use of the cars all day, rather than just being used for peak periods. When there are a sufficient number of new cars to fully cover the route, the schedule would be revised to reflect the capacity of the new vehicles (primarily at peak, as off-peak headways are generally being maintained).

View attachment 106102

I find that on Spadina you have more crazy people who will happily dart right in front of moving cars/streetcars either with or without looking, but completely deliberately. On Queen's Quay it's a different class of moron--people with zero spatial/situational awareness who mostly don't even know (as much as they ought to) that they're standing right in a roadway/streetcar track, and will stare at an oncoming streetcar hitting the emergency brakes and blaring its horn+bells not understanding what's happening.
Since the ROW is only dangerous for pedestrians when they're crossing in front of a streetcar, why not have barriers when the streetcar cometh.

I find that on Spadina you have more crazy people who will happily dart right in front of moving cars/streetcars either with or without looking, but completely deliberately. On Queen's Quay it's a different class of moron--people with zero spatial/situational awareness who mostly don't even know (as much as they ought to) that they're standing right in a roadway/streetcar track, and will stare at an oncoming streetcar hitting the emergency brakes and blaring its horn+bells not understanding what's happening.
And it's the same on the cycle paths on the Waterfront. What really doesn't help is not what is or is not *planned* to happen, but what isn't. The planners in many cases completely overlooked the human factors.

I avoid cycling through there, either on the road (lesser of the evils as a cyclist) or the paths, which are marked and indicated ambiguously. There's a myriad of "what not to dos" in what's been built as per safety. I hate to say it, as I severely dislike the use of fences, but some situations need to be fenced to prevent the mindless (conscious or otherwise) just carte-blanche walking across cycle-ways, road lanes, or streetcar tracks.

I've seen crowds at the Exhibition back in the hey-days with a better sense of direction and purpose.

Since the ROW is only dangerous for pedestrians when they're crossing in front of a streetcar, why not have barriers when the streetcar cometh.

Even something as permanent bollards is enough to alert pedestrians "hey, something is important here, because of these posts in the ground, maybe I should look around and be more aware"

Maybe they could have lights on the top that flash red when a streetcar approaches.

removable-bollard-cta.jpg

Also audio of the same guy for visually impaired that says "walk sign is on for all crossings" at Dundas/Yonge could say something like "warning streetcar approaching"

I know this seems like a lot, but that is a very touristy area, no amount of "informational" awareness campaign will work because so many people coming into the city who've never been here.

Even something as permanent bollards is enough to alert pedestrians "hey, something is important here, because of these posts in the ground, maybe I should look around and be more aware"

Maybe they could have lights on the top that flash red when a streetcar approaches.

removable-bollard-cta.jpg

Also audio of the same guy for visually impaired that says "walk sign is on for all crossings" at Dundas/Yonge could say something like "warning streetcar approaching"

I know this seems like a lot, but that is a very touristy area, no amount of "informational" awareness campaign will work because so many people coming into the city who've never been here.
Fencing along the crossing, funnelling people into one crossing spot might be beneficial.

pleasant-street-tramway-stop-north-shore-blackpool-lancashire-uk-e7chm5.jpg

1200px-Flexity_2_%28Blackpool%29_tram_at_Tower_tram_stop.jpg

Blackpool-Tram-at-North-Euston-Ferry-stop-Fleetwood.jpg

Can I respectfully request that we stick to the topic of the thread which is Flexity Streetcars? And not streetcar ROW safety issues, perhaps that is better suited in the TTC (Other Items) thread.

I should have further clarified - this thread is supposed to be about discussing Flexity Delivery and Testing. ;)

Well, one of them unfortunately delivered itself into a person's body, and we're discussing other places in which such deliveries are likely to occur and potential ways to stop those deliveries.

Back