News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Anyone who look closely at people using the ROW will tell you including me, TTC drivers save a lot of people from being hit or kill than what happens.

The area between College and Queen, but more around the Dundas area is the worse area where people pay no attention to the cars on line and expect them to stop for them even when drivers lay on the horn.

It is common to see riders get off streetcars and walk in front of them not looking after getting off, as well the rear regardless of any lights at the stops. You see it also when riders trying to get to the car to get on. I also see this on buses as well.

People who get hit or kill have only themselves to blame for what happen to them to be very blunt saying so. Even though TTC drivers try to be prepared for the unexpected on Spadina, doesn't work all the time.

Like CBC point out, riders cause more problem for TTC and this is another case showing riders at fault.
Riders are always at fault that cause most of the problem. Unfortunately they have this "customers are always right" mentality. Except once they get off the streetcar and cross in front of traffic, they aren't a customer anymore but instead they are a Highway Traffic Act violator. They are breaking the law and therefore they are at fault. Purposeful violators should be ticketed and fined if they survived.

Same with all the subway delays. Jamming the door and destructive behaviours doesn't make them a customer anymore. It makes them an unwanted rider that is causing damage to the TTC (technically a trespasser). The TTC should really convince the city to return a percentage of fines issued by the TTC to hire more transit officers to actually ticket those to disregard TTC bylaws that can potentially cause delays to the system.

Lots of people cross the right of way all the time on spadina and not at cross walks or lights they thing it's just a big pedestrian island for them to use, and they probably think that the streetcar will just stop for them if one is coming.

Lots of pedestrians watch their feet as they walk. This also happens to be a cultural phenomenon. There are also people on the sidewalks who are bound to be killed between watching their feet and the modern fetish for either watching a screen while walking or soundproofing the walk from distracting and annoying modern noises like car horns, streetcar chimes, screeching brakes or - heavens - shouts with earbuds in both ears.

Kindergarten was simpler when I went. We weren't reading. But we sure as hell knew a little song called "Stop, look, and listen BEFORE you cross the street"

I frequent Spadina. There is nowhere else in the city where people jump onto tracks with such unbelievable stupidity. It's like they think the curbs between the car lanes and tracks are there to create a pedestrian safety zone in the middle of the street.

You will find me cross the ROW mid block or standing in it taking photos, but do so when there are no cars within a block or 2 of me. I use the rule something will be next to me in seconds that requires me to check the ROW before taking the next shot and have a eye on what is coming at me to get out of the way.

People looking at their feet or hands regardless where they are walking are only asking for trouble. Have ran into people more times than enough because they looking at their phone, texting and not looking where they are to the point they have almost walk into traffic on a red to be pull back by someone.

I have seen a few people holding the door on the new streetcars so a late rider can get on.

You will find me cross the ROW mid block or standing in it taking photos, but do so when there are no cars within a block or 2 of me.
There's nothing wrong with crossing mid-block when there are no cars around.

No one has ever been hit by a car, when there are no cars around. Many have been hit by cars, crossing on the correct walk signal though at a legal crossing.

Personally, I prefer crossing mid-block when there are no cars around, than crossing on the lights on road with traffic approaching - or even sitting. The only time I've ever been hit by a car was walking on the pedestrian signal, when the car I was right in front of, decided to start moving forward and turn right on red. A few times I've been narrowly missed by cars trying to race to do a turn, being clearly too senile to see anything, or just blowing through the light, inches away from me.

I'll stress this. No one has ever been hit by a car, when there are no cars around.

There's nothing wrong with crossing mid-block when there are no cars around.

No one has ever been hit by a car, when there are no cars around. Many have been hit by cars, crossing on the correct walk signal though at a legal crossing.

Personally, I prefer crossing mid-block when there are no cars around, than crossing on the lights on road with traffic approaching - or even sitting. The only time I've ever been hit by a car was walking on the pedestrian signal, when the car I was right in front of, decided to start moving forward and turn right on red. A few times I've been narrowly missed by cars trying to race to do a turn, being clearly too senile to see anything, or just blowing through the light, inches away from me.

I'll stress this. No one has ever been hit by a car, when there are no cars around.
I agree with crossing mid block when no cars are around, but you still need to be aware as to what going on at the time. That maybe us, buts its the fools we need to worry about.

I have been knockdown by cars 5 time legal crossing the street with 2 from behind, 2 crossing on the green at intersections and able to walkway unhurt. I given up on the number of times I have been almost hit in the crosswalk as drivers either hitting the breaks at the last second or blow throw. Even crossing on the lights have far too many misses as drivers fail to stop on the red.

Common sense has gone into the trash bins as how to exit or enter streetcars, let alone buses, with streetcars getting the biggest complaint when someone gets hit or kill.

Oh yes, I'm ignoring the ones, on the pedestrian-activated crossings where you are already standing in the street, and the cars keep zooming by with no signs of stopping ... never really any danger there, as you know they aren't going to stop.

Two rules of crossing on white on pedestrian crossings.

Always know where every car is in every direction.
Make sure that if you know the car has seen you, to make it look like you haven't seen them, so as not to give them any ideas that you might stop

The caveat is, that if you have to walk in front of an already stopped car, to not take your eyes off the driver, so as if they do start to do something stupid, you've got a bit of warning before the vehicle moves.

(though one occasion doing the latter, the driver started yelling at me after I'd walked past, and then proceeded to drive down the road yelling abuse at him for watching me ... it was rather surreal - probably related to the methadone clinic adjacent to where he was parking ...

I have been knockdown by cars 5 time legal crossing the street with 2 from behind, 2 crossing on the green at intersections and able to walkway unhurt. I given up on the number of times I have been almost hit in the crosswalk as drivers either hitting the breaks at the last second or blow throw. Even crossing on the lights have far too many misses as drivers fail to stop on the red.
If you've been hit by five cars, either you're doing something to participate in the occurrence, or damn unlucky.

If you've been hit by five cars, either you're doing something to participate in the occurrence, or damn unlucky.
It does seem a bit high - I've only had contact made once, and it wasn't enough to knock me down - though a bit scary given it was their front bumper and my knees ... I was about to try and hurl myself on their hood when they stopped, but I was probably already too late.

Though if I were to include the swings I've taken at cars that weren't going to stop at crossings ... but as I said, I knew that was going to happen, so I wasn't going to get hit.

Yes I have been lucky

Getting hit from behind caused by drivers not allowing someone to clear the road is beyond my control or others with a need for eyes on the back of your head. Crossing on the green and getting the bumper touch in the #1 lane is a driver been quick on the peddle or opps!!

I hope someone is looking at Crosstown at grade stations with this mentality in mind. There need to be walkways at both ends of the platforms, as people won't take the long way around.

I have a theory that the wider the street, the greater the temptation to jaywalk. It just seems too much farther to walk all the way to a crossing. And the width creates a false sense of security....cars don't look that close. Spadina is bad because the median is so walkable....grass or gravel not so much.

Personally, I think people should be left alone to make their own decisions and live (or not) with the results..... but .... there are limits. Crossing the 401 on foot should never happen.

- Paul

Yes I have been lucky

Getting hit from behind caused by drivers not allowing someone to clear the road is beyond my control or others with a need for eyes on the back of your head. Crossing on the green and getting the bumper touch in the #1 lane is a driver been quick on the peddle or opps!!
I always treat the road space like I would rail tracks, if the vehicles are not stopped or if a vehicle is coming, I am not entering the road space.

Personally, I think people should be left alone to make their own decisions and live (or not) with the results..... but .... there are limits. Crossing the 401 on foot should never happen.
Yep, you can be right and still be dead.

When I lived in Fredericton, NB, there was a fast moving road, akin to Allen Road or Lakeshore near the CNE that had a tall, wire fence up the middle to stop people trying to cross. However the local university students used to cut a hole in the fence and run across the busy road. Of course Darwin soon took his toll, and a few students were run down.

I always treat the road space like I would rail tracks, if the vehicles are not stopped or if a vehicle is coming, I am not entering the road space.
And if the cars know that, that's why some don't stop.

You have to look like you are going to enter anyway ... but ready to stop dead in the gutter, or even jump back if necessary, or else they just take advantage.

I hope someone is looking at Crosstown at grade stations with this mentality in mind. There need to be walkways at both ends of the platforms, as people won't take the long way around.

- Paul

In a situation where the two platforms are at one side of the road and in line with each other, I would agree.

But it seems that the majority of the platforms are going to be offset to the respective far-side of the intersection, and thus walkways at both ends are just not feasible.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back