News   Jul 11, 2024
 358     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 505     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 683     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I can't imagine EU competition regulators being thrilled with Siemens and Bombardier merging. Maybe the merger will be partial, with Siemens gaining North American and Australian businesses while minimizing European acquisitions.

If Siemens did take out Bombardier, they gain the Plattsburgh NY plant and a whole bunch of designs like Superliner and the bilevel/multilevel family. While in the main you could expect Siemens light rail offerings to be offered in new build, Plattsburgh could make Flexity Outlook TTC models for SEPTA if Philly ever scraped together the cash to buy some.

... the file photo of the second it looks like the man tried to jaywalk since the streetcar is in the middle of the intersection.
Perhaps - it's not like streetcars haven't ignored red lights before, particularly as they just turn. Though it's just after the platform - not sure how the streetcar could go from a dead stop to not being able to stop in time, in such a short distance. Maybe there's another factor.

Perhaps - it's not like streetcars haven't ignored red lights before, particularly as they just turn. Though it's just after the platform - not sure how the streetcar could go from a dead stop to not being able to stop in time, in such a short distance. Maybe there's another factor.
Lots of people cross the right of way all the time on spadina and not at cross walks or lights they thing it's just a big pedestrian island for them to use, and they probably think that the streetcar will just stop for them if one is coming.

Lots of people cross the right of way all the time on spadina and not at cross walks or lights they thing it's just a big pedestrian island for them to use, and they probably think that the streetcar will just stop for them if one is coming.
Sure - but this was at a proper crossing. So that in itself is not the issue. Perhaps they were jay walking - but as I said, then I'm surprised the streetcar could have accelerated that fast after stopping on the platform (which I suppose it might not have had to - but I've rarely if ever seen it miss that one, at that time of day!)

The pedestrian had just stepped off of a car coming the other way, and walked around the back - against the red - without looking in both directions. Apparently the driver didn't even see him until it was too late.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The pedestrian had just stepped off of a car coming the other way, and walked around the back - against the red - without looking in both directions. Apparently the driver didn't even see him until it was too late.
Yikes - neither of them must have seen the other coming. I'm surprised that southbound one would have been going that fast at that point - but perhaps they hadn't needed to stop.

At 6pm, Transsee had all Flexities except 4409 ...
For obvious reason ...

Yikes - neither of them must have seen the other coming. I'm surprised that southbound one would have been going that fast at that point - but perhaps they hadn't needed to stop.

There's been some discussion about that elsewhere. And the consensus has distilled it to that either the driver didn't put the car into emergency until after impact, or that the driver panicked and suppressed the emergency brake application.

Either way - it's a bad situation for all involved.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Anyone who look closely at people using the ROW will tell you including me, TTC drivers save a lot of people from being hit or kill than what happens.

The area between College and Queen, but more around the Dundas area is the worse area where people pay no attention to the cars on line and expect them to stop for them even when drivers lay on the horn.

It is common to see riders get off streetcars and walk in front of them not looking after getting off, as well the rear regardless of any lights at the stops. You see it also when riders trying to get to the car to get on. I also see this on buses as well.

People who get hit or kill have only themselves to blame for what happen to them to be very blunt saying so. Even though TTC drivers try to be prepared for the unexpected on Spadina, doesn't work all the time.

Like CBC point out, riders cause more problem for TTC and this is another case showing riders at fault.

Today during the Parade in the beaches I overheard someone with some wrong information they were talking about the TTC canceling the streetcar order with bombardier as if i was a known fact. I informed them that it was actually the metrolinx order.

Back