News   Apr 17, 2024
 900     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Well considering that the province put out a plan called MoveOntario that focused only on the GTA-Hamilton, I think you might be exaggerating a bit. Not to mention the fact that while the province is helping to bail out large auto companies located mostly in the GTA, factories in other sectors elsewhere in Ontario are shutting down without any action being taken - factories which are arguably more important for the economic viability of their communities. Until I moved out of the GTA I might have agreed with you, but now I'm much more sympathetic to the argument that the province largely ignores most of Ontario outside of the Golden Horseshoe until election time comes around again.
MoveOntario included every serious rapid transit proposal in the province. Ottawa had funding before MoveOntario despite their first plan being cancelled. Other than Ottawa, there's not a single city outside the Golden Horseshoe with a rapid transit plan, so I'm not sure what funding you were expecting other areas to get.

Re: auto plants, they're not just in the GTA. They're in Ingersoll, Windsor, St. Thomas, Cambridge, etc. Light rail and subway construction benefits Thunder Bay.

I'd have a hard time seeing any company accepting a core competitor building part of their product design.

I am pretty sure that ICE trainsets in Germany are built as a Siemens-Alstom-Bombardier JV. Deutsche Bahn probably didn't want to risk offending anybody.

Anyone know when we will get the announcement today?

Is the announcement due today or 27th? I thought it was on the 27th somehow.

The handout rendering looks very similar the the new vehicles in Brussels...which, incidentally, has the most CLRV-like older trams I have seen in Europe.

Last edited:
MoveOntario included every serious rapid transit proposal in the province. Ottawa had funding before MoveOntario despite their first plan being cancelled. Other than Ottawa, there's not a single city outside the Golden Horseshoe with a rapid transit plan, so I'm not sure what funding you were expecting other areas to get.

Re: auto plants, they're not just in the GTA. They're in Ingersoll, Windsor, St. Thomas, Cambridge, etc. Light rail and subway construction benefits Thunder Bay.

Maybe I should clear up what I said. I support MoveOntario and I realize why it focuses only on the GTA, but I just think they shouldn't have used the name they did. It's not about moving Ontario, it's about moving people around in one part of Ontario. It doesn't affect a good chunk of the province's population directly at all and the name should have reflected that. I wasn't expecting funding for projects outside of the GTA, I'm just saying that it speaks against jks idea that the province doesn't realize how many people live there or that they give too much away to places outside the GTA.

As for the auto bailouts, I realize now that was kind of a ridiculous point. It was wrong on my part to tie auto-bailouts to the GTA the way I did. The point I was trying to make is that the auto companies are "too big to fail" so billions of dollars goes to bail them out. But in a community of 1000, a factory that employs even only 50 people is too big to fail, but they have been failing even since before this recession and very little is done about it.

What a shame Bombardier won yet another contract. For once, I would have thought TTC would use it's brain and award the contract to another company. Alas, Bombardier owns us.

Personally, I would have liked to see Siemens open a plant in the GTA, rather than continuing to prop up Thunder Bay. They already got our subway order. The Siemens design looked nicer IMHO.

Oh well. In any case, it's a bout time to see some fresh rolling stock for trams in Toronto. The CLRV's and ALRV's are really old.

Question though, with only 204 trams ordered to replace 248, will we essentially see a reduction in frequencies on the tram routes due to this? Or will the TTC keep some of the ALRV's around since they are slightly newer and can be around for a say another 5 years or so.

Back