News   Jul 16, 2024
 9     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 449     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 555     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Last car arrival was February 10. This is starting to look very grim indeed.

It's only the 4th of March. If we haven't seen one by the ides of march then it's time to worry. I think the only hiccup in getting them quickly at this point will be CP picking up the flat cars either at Bombardier or the yard in Toronto.

I thought we were going to see shorter intervals between deliveries, maybe with Bombardier having more than one ready to go at any one time?

I happened to go for a walk around Hillcrest the other night to see if there were any signs they were preparing for a delivery, but the spur was covered with undisturbed snow and the gate at the end of it was locked.

I have two questions: is CP able to deliver more than one streetcar at a time, and does a flat car get its own trainset?

I thought we were going to see shorter intervals between deliveries, maybe with Bombardier having more than one ready to go at any one time?

I happened to go for a walk around Hillcrest the other night to see if there were any signs they were preparing for a delivery, but the spur was covered with undisturbed snow and the gate at the end of it was locked.

I have two questions: is CP able to deliver more than one streetcar at a time, and does a flat car get its own trainset?

Depending on CP, the flats can be the only car on the local switcher or part of a local train. Coming from Thunder Bay, part of the main train.

CP can delivery as many cars that needed to be to TTC. There will be an idle flat between each car as well the locomotive. CP will spot the cut of cars on the north track service track and place one new car at Hillcrest at a time. Once the new car is off loaded, CP will pull the empty flat back out to the north track to pickup the next car if there is one and place it at Hillcrest. If there are more than one car to be off loaded, CP could cut the last east idle off on the north track and then move the last flat with the new cars as well the others and spot the last car at Hillcrest and wait until it off loaded. It would the place that empty flat as well the idle between it and the next flat back out onto the north track and then spot the new car.

No idea how long it takes TTC to off load the new car. Depending on the time frame, the local switcher could only do one move and move on to its next stop and then pickup the flat from TTC on its way back to the yard. Since there has been only one car being delivery at a time these days, we have to wait to see if more than one car shows up starting this month to see what CP may do for delivery.

Its now 24 days since the last car show up and keeping with 30 days between delivery, one should/could show up on March 11.

Last edited:
Red light on this metric!

Considering how quiet the TTC has been about the latest lull, I suspect that something very legal is going on behind the scenes.

i'm very suspicious that this is about some sub-contracted vendor in the supply chain who got sick of being asked to supply one or two 'just in time' units a month, and gave their production schedule to a customer who needed an entire production run, now.

- Paul

This has been bugging me for a bit now especially since it's still winter: When will motormen stop opening all the doors on the Flexities and make passengers do it? I mean it's appropriate at the station but when it's a on- street stop they should really keep the warmth in and have passengers open the door if they need to enter or exit (think of -20C and having the all the doors open at every stop on Spadina).

The TTC had better get some free streetcars on top of the 204 to be delivered.
There are penalty clauses in the contract. Considering how much money Bombardier is bleeding from Aerospace, don't expect anything more than the contract specifies without a fight.

This has been bugging me for a bit now especially since it's still winter: When will motormen stop opening all the doors on the Flexities and make passengers do it? I mean it's appropriate at the station but when it's a on- street stop they should really keep the warmth in and have passengers open the door if they need to enter or exit (think of -20C and having the all the doors open at every stop on Spadina).

Sounds like a valid question for Brad Ross on Twitter.

I have a technical question...

While riding last weekend, when stopping, there is occasionally an electric motor whine coming from somewhere in the wall or floor that lasts a second or two. I was thinking it might have something to do with the brakes (just because it was occurring around the same time as the full stop), but it was inconsistent as to when it was happening.

To clarify the noise: It's definitely a separate noise from the traction motors or traction motor electronics - it almost sounds like a hydraulic pump or a gear motor. Actually, in typing that out - now I'm wondering if it's a hydraulic pump motor that keeps "toping up" an accumulator for the hydraulic wheel brakes every now and then. My Prius does this same thing, too - uses regeneration from the car's momentum to do most of the braking, but then the last few km/h are scrubbed off by hydraulically-operated disc brakes which are powered by an electric pump which charges up a hydraulic accumulator. Could that be it?

I have a technical question...

While riding last weekend, when stopping, there is occasionally an electric motor whine coming from somewhere in the wall or floor that lasts a second or two. I was thinking it might have something to do with the brakes (just because it was occurring around the same time as the full stop), but it was inconsistent as to when it was happening.

To clarify the noise: It's definitely a separate noise from the traction motors or traction motor electronics - it almost sounds like a hydraulic pump or a gear motor. Actually, in typing that out - now I'm wondering if it's a hydraulic pump motor that keeps "toping up" an accumulator for the hydraulic wheel brakes every now and then. My Prius does this same thing, too - uses regeneration from the car's momentum to do most of the braking, but then the last few km/h are scrubbed off by hydraulically-operated disc brakes which are powered by an electric pump which charges up a hydraulic accumulator. Could that be it?

Sounds like it could be the sand dispensers.

There seems to be some drivers that do keep the doors closed and have the public have to push the buttons but there also is a lot of poel who don't know about them. Especially in certain sections of Spadain where English may not be their first language.

Sounds like a valid question for Brad Ross on Twitter.

I e-mailed Andy Byford several months ago - my complaint was in the summer when the doors are open all of the nice cold AC air gets out and that the cars get very, very hot with the large windows+no ability to open windows for airflow vs C/ALRVs. He replied that it would be addressed in the short term, and that absolutely 100% this would not happen in the winter in the cold weather as he indicated he considered that to be the more important case.

Evidently either he/management elected not to bother doing something positive for their customers, or operators just (as usual--see POP/all door boarding) decided they don't feel like it.

Agreed that it is irritating and uncomfortable in very hot or cold weather. Sadly looks like there is absolutely zero effort being put forth, despite claims to the contrary, to actually fix it, so I guess we have to get used to it...

Sounds like it could be the sand dispensers.

Hmm, yes - but last weekend it was ~15 C and clear skies. :) I wouldn't have imagined they use sand in fair weather - or do they? (I honestly don't know) @smallspy ? Do you know what the noise I described could be?

Re: doors - maybe the drivers just get annoyed that people are too stupid to figure out how to open the buttons and are tired of having them run up to the front and bang on the door screaming at them to let them off, so they just say F-it and open all of them all the time.

I watched somebody press the door open button while in motion and it signalled a request stop - nice. That's excellent UI/UX design right there.

Back