News   Jul 16, 2024
 302     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 614     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The more I think about it, the more I wonder. There's definitely some system in place to get the trains to the next station other than gravity. But what I took for granted 35 years ago, now I wonder about. Perhaps backup generators is the answer - which would explain why it goes completely dark before it kicks in - the same way it happens in hospitals when there's a power failure (seen those in Montreal too - as I said, they were commonplace in the 1980s).

What happens in Toronto - heck what happened in Toronto on Monday night? The streetcars randomly littering downtown yesterday morning makes it pretty clear what happened to them!

Really? I lived there for 30+ years and never saw this myself.
What happened when you were in the metro when the power went out? Did you have to walk out?

I found a newspaper article relating to one of the rush hour outages I remember - https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=n6UFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2715,4262509&hl=en

It talks about evacuating passengers from stations. No mention about evacuating passengers from tunnels.

Last edited:
I don't think many (if any) subways have backup generators for traction power. Emergency lighting, sure. The energy required to move trains would require some pretty serious generators.

interesting shape....maybe if Alstom ever wins a contract for TTC they can build their vehicles in Ottawa?
Unlikely.
The Ottawa vehicles are only being assembled in Ottawa, and the assembly plant is going to become the Maintenance and Storage facility. Once 2018 hits, there will be nowhere in Ottawa to assemble anything.

Unlikely.
The Ottawa vehicles are only being assembled in Ottawa, and the assembly plant is going to become the Maintenance and Storage facility. Once 2018 hits, there will be nowhere in Ottawa to assemble anything.

It is likely that more vehicles will be built in Ottawa, most likely at the MSF, as part of Stage 2 expansion.

For the Ottawa Confederation Line trains, the parts are being built at Alstom's plant in Upstate New York, then the parts are assembled in Ottawa.

Last car arrival was February 10. This is starting to look very grim indeed.

It's only the 4th of March. If we haven't seen one by the ides of march then it's time to worry. I think the only hiccup in getting them quickly at this point will be CP picking up the flat cars either at Bombardier or the yard in Toronto.

Back