News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Thanks - Google needs to update their imagery! I want to see the loop. :) I've visited many testing facilities so I'm curious what they have up there. Had no idea they had an ICTS/ALRT setup too. It's likely the same loop (LIM plates, third & fourth rail, plus OCS. The top surface of the LIM reaction rail for ICTS/ALRT is flush with the rail top and so is pavement for streetcars so there's no interference problems there.

Thanks - Google needs to update their imagery! I want to see the loop. :) I've visited many testing facilities so I'm curious what they have up there. Had no idea they had an ICTS/ALRT setup too. It's likely the same loop (LIM plates, third & fourth rail, plus OCS. The top surface of the LIM reaction rail for ICTS/ALRT is flush with the rail top and so is pavement for streetcars so there's no interference problems there.

Except for the track gauge being different. And that the power rails intrude into the clearance envelope of a streetcar.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

These are the four greatest transportation disasters of the 20th and 21st centuries according to Theo Moudakis:
rDqVcip.jpg

Why would the LFLRVs be called a lemon? They've been performing fantastically so far.

Except for the track gauge being different. And that the power rails intrude into the clearance envelope of a streetcar.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Was referring to FLEXITY Freedom not Outlook but yes the gauge difference.

Pdf says they're two separate tracks so it's moot.

Four days later, The Star runs a story we discussed back on the 15th. See link.

A streetcar named Toronto … in Frankfurt, Germany

Streetcar in Frankfurt, Germany is named Toronto to honour sister city link established in 1989.

frankfurt-toronto-streetcar2.jpg

This Frankfurt streetcar was christened Toronto in 2009 to mark a partnership that begin shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall and continues to this day.

By: David Bateman Staff Reporter, Published on Tue May 19 2015
In the heart of a bustling financial centre in continental Europe, there’s a streetcar named Toronto.

Mystified members of the public have pondered the existence of the Toronto-branded streetcar in Frankfurt, Germany on social news site Reddit for several days after user ‘1slinkydink1’ posted an image from his friend Afjal Hashim.

The answer to the puzzle is a 26 year (and counting) partnership that began under Toronto Mayor Art Eggleton after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

In 2009, Frankfurt marked the anniversary of their twin partnership with Toronto by naming six LRT trains after sister cities – Budapest, Leipzig, Lyon, Milan, Tel Aviv and Toronto – at the suggestion of city council chief Karlheinz Bührmann.

Frankfurt transit managing director Michael Budig said he was pleased to “visually document†the connection between Frankfurt and its partner cities.

“The City of Toronto responded to this honour by placing six advertisement banners on the named ‘Toronto’ train to acknowledge Toronto’s 20 year partnership with Frankfurt and to thank the City of Frankfurt for the honour of naming the train after Toronto,†said Shane Gerard, a spokesman for the City of Toronto.

The six ads cost Toronto approximately $1,120.

Frankfurt is home to the European Central Bank, German Central Bank and Frankfurt Stock Exchange. The city’s Europaturm is a 337.5-metre tall structure that bears a resemblance to the CN Tower.

In addition to Frankfurt, Toronto holds links with many other cities across the globe. The connections fall into two broad categories: ‘partner’ and ‘friendship’ cities.

Friendship cities are community-driven with official endorsement usually delivered through a council representative. The title is largely ceremonial, involving flag-raising events and official letters of greeting. Toronto’s friendship cities include Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, Kyiv, Ukraine, Quito, Ecuador, Sagamihara, Japan and Warsaw, Poland.

The aim of partner cities is a closer economic, cultural and trade relationship with other major urban centres across the world. Toronto’s partner cities are Chicago, U.S.A.; Chongqing, China; Milan, Italy and Frankfurt, Germany.

Attachments

• frankfurt-toronto-streetcar2.jpg
    frankfurt-toronto-streetcar2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 805
Should I bother asking?

Anyone know where 4408 is?

I have a feeling we won't be seeing this one for a long time.

Bombardier has not ramped up as promised, and honestly, I hope they miss their 2019 deadline.

I am hoping we get those 60 extra streetcars we have as an option at a heavily discounted price as a penalty for breaking the contract.

We need them. And in 2019 will need them even more.

Bombardier has not ramped up as promised, and honestly, I hope they miss their 2019 deadline.

I am hoping we get those 60 extra streetcars we have as an option at a heavily discounted price as a penalty for breaking the contract.

We need them. And in 2019 will need them even more.
Doesn't work like that. TTC has to commit to the 60 extra cars before Bombardier delivers car number 60, or they risk price going way up.

Penalties for the first 204 aren't assessed until they miss the delivery date in 2019 or so.

Bombardier may not have ramped up as quickly as promised, but they are still slowly ramping up.

If they do ever ramp up to the promised 4 a month, they have a lot of time still to delivery all 204 cars by end of 2019.

I said this same thing to you on Twitter nfitz but I thought this would be relevant to this group.

4407 was shipped a month ago today, April 21.
There is no sign of 4408 being shipped.

How is this "ramping up"?

Last edited:
I said this same thing to you on Twitter nfitz but I thought this would be relevant to this group.

4407 was shipped a month ago today, April 21.
There is no sign of 4408 being shipped.

How is this "ramping up"?
Deliveries are generally accelerating. How is it that not ramping up? The shortest gap between car deliveries so far is 35 days.

Perhaps testing of 4408 (which we know was on the test track in Thunder Bay over a month ago) found a problem? They don't just test them for their entertainment.

Perhaps testing of 4408 (which we know was on the test track in Thunder Bay over a month ago) found a problem? They don't just test them for their entertainment.

Wow, good for them! Who cares why its late, if its late its late. An issue is their fault, it doesnt exempt them from tardiness.

I agree with pstogios on this one, I see no evidence of ramping up.

So, your desire for punishing Bombardier is greater than your desire for Toronto getting the new streetcars?

Personally, I hope that the streetcars are delivered by the deadline, and accept that if they are not, then Bombardier will be fined appropriately, according to the contract that is agreed to.

I agree with pstogios on this one, I see no evidence of ramping up.
Since the strike, the period of time between the arrival of each new streetcar has gotten progressively shorter. While not as good as one would want, I don't see how it is no evidence of ramping up. It's all evidence of ramping up ... we can argue about the slope of the line not being as steep as desired. But that doesn't mean that there isn't progress.

I can't imagine why you'd hope they'd miss their 2019 deadline ... not sure what your are fishing for there.

Back