News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

For a moment I thought that was real! That looks pretty smart.
I always thought the PCCs in the CLRV scheme looked smart.
streetcar-4512-03.jpg

Why do you say that? There's no indication that it would delay the project. In fact the article notes that deliveries don't need to start for some time anyway, and that much of this is in the past.

Waterloo only need 14 cars for 2017. If they start churning out one a month sometime in 2016, they'll be fine, and then they can ramp that up for the Eglinton line which likely won't open until 2022.

Attachments

• streetcar-4512-03.jpg
    streetcar-4512-03.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,087
On a related note, I saw CLRV #4000 (i.e., the very first one) yesterday and it looked very much the worse for wear - rusty, battered and faded.
I seem to catch that one more often than I should. I haven't noticed anything unusual. Aren't many of the CLRVs/ALRVs looking that way these days? Was there something in particular?

One CLRV caught my eye the other day, because the paint looked so new, bright, and clean. Which implies it doesn't happen that often.

I seem to catch that one more often than I should. I haven't noticed anything unusual. Aren't many of the CLRVs/ALRVs looking that way these days? Was there something in particular?

One CLRV caught my eye the other day, because the paint looked so new, bright, and clean. Which implies it doesn't happen that often.

The cream paint on 4400 looked really yellowed to me, the red was faded (more than on other CLRVs) and there were a lot of (rust) holes along the bottom edge of the body. I last rode it during the winter and it was holding up really well (mechanically and in terms of heating!) during one of the major cold snaps though.

The cream paint on 4400 looked really yellowed to me, the red was faded (more than on other CLRVs) and there were a lot of (rust) holes along the bottom edge of the body. I last rode it during the winter and it was holding up really well (mechanically and in terms of heating!) during one of the major cold snaps though.

Between 2012 and last year, just under half of the CLRVs got a body rehab and fresh paint, so quite a few of them look really good, and of the ones not done, quite a few look really bad and are probably on the short list for retirement when enough Flexity cars are finally in service. Some of them haven't been to the paint shop in about 15 years so it's no wonder they look so rough.

Last edited:
In the recent articles, the Bombardier spokesperson states that the problems are "in the past" and fixed already.

If that's the case, then why haven't we started receiving them more often?

In the recent articles, the Bombardier spokesperson states that the problems are "in the past" and fixed already.

If that's the case, then why haven't we started receiving them more often?
They have.

For the first 6 production vehicles, the deilvery dates are:
May 31, 2014 (4403)
July 4, 2014 (4400 - originally delivered as prototype September 29, 2012)
(strike)
November 11, 2014 (4404)
February 9, 2015 (4405)
March 18, 2015 (4406)
April 22, 2015 (4407)

So since the strike, the gaps have been about 90 days, 37 days, 35 days.

They are only 22 days since the last delivery.

They might not be ramping up as fast as hoped, but they are getting more frequent.

Last edited:

Back