News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 998     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Last time I was in San Francisco I happened to ride a PCC painted in Toronto livery. It's not actually an ex-Toronto vehicle, but it's there to honour Toronto's having had the largest PCC collection and has a history of the system on a plaque.

Should I bother asking?

Anyone know where 4408 is?

I have a feeling we won't be seeing this one for a long time.

Last edited:
i guess we should also ask about the other side of the coin....with 00 and 03-06 on the roster, have any ALRV's been formally retired? Are there any sitting idle that would be obvious candidates for 'first to go'?

- Paul

Should I bother asking?

Anyone know where 4408 is?

I have a feeling we won't be seeing this one for a long time.
What's the basis for that? It was reported on April 18 that 4408 was already on the test track up in Thunder Bay, and 4409 was close behind it. I'm surprised that 4408 hasn't shipped already to tell the truth.

What's the basis for that?

Purely emotional, not rational. With all the bad news about Bombardier this week it's hard to feel optimistic that we will be getting these streetcars delivered as scheduled.

It was reported on April 18 that 4408 was already on the test track up in Thunder Bayand 4409 was close behind it.

Do you have a link for this report?

It was reported on April 18 that 4408 was already on the test track up in Thunder Bay

Thunder Bay has a test track? And one at Toronto's special broad streetcar gauge, to boot? I was just looking at Google Maps/Satellite View a few days ago actually to see if they had a test track, and I couldn't find one at all. Where is the test track?

These are the four greatest transportation disasters of the 20th and 21st centuries according to Theo Moudakis:
rDqVcip.jpg

Thunder Bay has a test track? And one at Toronto's special broad streetcar gauge, to boot? I was just looking at Google Maps/Satellite View a few days ago actually to see if they had a test track, and I couldn't find one at all. Where is the test track?
Presumably at the plant. Not sure how long it is, or outdoors or not. They might just run them backwards and forwards for all I know ... I don't think it's anything like the test track at Millhaven.

In Streetview you can see on some dates TR and T1 subway cars quite far from the plant on tracks, from nearby roads.

Here's the link to an earthview of the Thunder Bay plant.

There's no test track. The TR'a are sitting on an un-electrified siding and were presumably pushed there by a Diesel shunted.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no test track. The TR'a are sitting on an un-electrified siding and were presumably pushed there by a Diesel shunted.
Bombardier's website notes that there's a 700-metre electrified test track at Thunder Bay, along with a 300-metre electrified linear induction motor test track for ART in a 2012 document. A Thunder Bay website article in 2012 notes that Bombardier "is putting together ... the test track that is required to test the (light reail vehicle) because they always test each vehicle".

A recent job advertisement for Bombardier Thunder Bay to a technician that "will be required to operate trains on our test track".

Seems to be a test track in Thunder Bay. The default imagery in Google Maps is dated July 18, 2011.

Back