1.5K     5 
News   Jan 20, 2020
 1K     2 

TTC: Electric and alternative fuel buses

ADRM

Member Bio
Reaction score
*Video I made on the NFI Electric Buses*

Battery Electric buses are definitely the future and we wish they got more press coverage. We took a ride on the TTCs Electric bus from New Flyer and we talk all about it in our latest video! If you enjoy consider subscribing!
I rented two of these for my wedding a couple months back, and they were the (secondary?) stars of the show. Guests loved them.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
And dare i say that the A/C systems on the e-buses (at least with the XDE40s) actually function better cooling wise compared to the joke of a system used on our diesel and hybrid-electric Novas.

APTA-2048

Member Bio
Reaction score
What do you know or foresee the challenge with BYD to be?
BYD has had a few high-profile negative stories regarding its buses.

Los Angeles returned their five trial buses after only a couple of years.

Albuquerque returned their buses and canceled their order.

Indianapolis' buses were not achieving their promised range. The buses and infrastructure were upgraded at BYD's expense.

In addition, the TTC's order with BYD wasn't off to a good start. Due to repeated delays, the TTC eventually advised BYD that it would not be exercising options for additional buses. New Flyer and Proterra would each supply another five buses. The first bus from BYD has only just arrived at Eglinton Div.

It should be noted, however, that BYD has over 30 customers in North America. And some of them, like St. Albert in Alberta, have been satisfied enough with their buses that they purchased more. Other agencies have given them another chanced and purchased more as well.

I should also say, I don't know what BYD has since changed with their buses to rectify the issues other agencies had. We'll have to see how the TTC's buses fair when they enter service.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think they would be fine for the TTC. Toronto sit on a rather flat terrain with other electric buses working well. TTC also doesn't place these buses on excessive long runs meaning at least 30% of the fleet could be converted to electric and used for rush hour or shorter weekend trips purposes only. The base service buses going from 6am to 1am the next day would still need to be fulfilled with diesel or hybrid buses. These buses not making their range is like how car manufactures lie to us with optimized fuel economy. We all know we're not getting what is said on paper with non-optimized weather and driving conditions plus bad habits. I would say BYD failed more on writing their contract trying to convince customers but we'll see once they enter service.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I know for Indianapolis the solution was adding additional chargers because the buses COULD not reach the range specified.
Indianapolis' buses were also 60 foot long versions, not the 40 foot ones that seem to be fairing much better everywhere else.

Dan