News   Mar 28, 2024
 200     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 210     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 269     0 

TTC: Electric and alternative fuel buses

What do you know or foresee the challenge with BYD to be?
BYD has had a few high-profile negative stories regarding its buses.

Los Angeles returned their five trial buses after only a couple of years.

Albuquerque returned their buses and canceled their order.

Indianapolis' buses were not achieving their promised range. The buses and infrastructure were upgraded at BYD's expense.

In addition, the TTC's order with BYD wasn't off to a good start. Due to repeated delays, the TTC eventually advised BYD that it would not be exercising options for additional buses. New Flyer and Proterra would each supply another five buses. The first bus from BYD has only just arrived at Eglinton Div.

It should be noted, however, that BYD has over 30 customers in North America. And some of them, like St. Albert in Alberta, have been satisfied enough with their buses that they purchased more. Other agencies have given them another chanced and purchased more as well.

I should also say, I don't know what BYD has since changed with their buses to rectify the issues other agencies had. We'll have to see how the TTC's buses fair when they enter service.

I think they would be fine for the TTC. Toronto sit on a rather flat terrain with other electric buses working well. TTC also doesn't place these buses on excessive long runs meaning at least 30% of the fleet could be converted to electric and used for rush hour or shorter weekend trips purposes only. The base service buses going from 6am to 1am the next day would still need to be fulfilled with diesel or hybrid buses. These buses not making their range is like how car manufactures lie to us with optimized fuel economy. We all know we're not getting what is said on paper with non-optimized weather and driving conditions plus bad habits. I would say BYD failed more on writing their contract trying to convince customers but we'll see once they enter service.

I know for Indianapolis the solution was adding additional chargers because the buses COULD not reach the range specified.

Indianapolis' buses were also 60 foot long versions, not the 40 foot ones that seem to be fairing much better everywhere else.

Dan

Meanwhile...

Metro (Seattle) picks New Flyer for big electric bus purchase

From link.

With the debate about full electrification timetables out of the way, Metro is moving ahead with its plans for ordering 120 battery buses this year:

In 2017, Constantine and Metro General Manager Rob Gannon called on the industry to invest more in battery-electric options, including the creation of coaches that could travel farther and handle the varying terrain requirements of the region.​
New Flyer, based in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada with four manufacturing plants in the U.S., stepped up to the challenge, producing both a 40-foot and 60-foot battery-electric bus that met Metro’s specifications and timeline needs. These long-range battery-electric buses can travel approximately 140 miles on a single charge. The 11 existing short-range battery-electric buses in Metro’s fleet are 40 feet long and can travel 23 miles before requiring a 10-minute charge​

Metro announced the vision of buying 120 electric buses back in 2017. At the time, Proterra seemed to be in the lead (Metro operates a few Proterra buses on the Eastside) but New Flyer – which provides 60′ articulated coaches for LA Metro – seems to have won the bake off.

Buses will be run out of a temporary base while Metro brings online a permanent electric base.

This is all good news, of course, but it still saddens me that we seem to have stalled out on running new trolley wire in this city. Trolleys have their quirks, for sure, but they don’t require heavy batteries strapped to them and can climb hills quite well.

Finally got to ride on a brand new E-bus on the 505. I was impressed - the interior seems roomier than the normal buses, it has nice hum to it rather than the irritating noise of a diesel engine, and I was really happy to see the return of a rear window! Also, they look cute with their curvy rear ends, haha.

Finally got to ride on a brand new E-bus on the 505. I was impressed - the interior seems roomier than the normal buses, it has nice hum to it rather than the irritating noise of a diesel engine, and I was really happy to see the return of a rear window! Also, they look cute with their curvy rear ends, haha.
What did you think of the seating arrangement on the Proterra? Most people I know don’t like it. Overheard a few passengers complain about it too.

What did you think of the seating arrangement on the Proterra? Most people I know don’t like it. Overheard a few passengers complain about it too.

Are the E-buses called Proterra? I didn’t notice anything about the seating...

When you don't know where you're going, you might want to look out the window. Perimeter seating absolutely is the worst for that. Perfect for awkwardly staring at the person across from you.

Do you remember the bus #? That will tell us which manufacturer's bus you were on. Proterra New Flyer or BYD

Are the E-buses called Proterra? I didn’t notice anything about the seating...
The ones that run downtown are manufactured by Proterra. Most of the seats face the aisle on those buses. At the rear, because of the size of the wheel housing, having aisle facing seats makes for a pretty narrow aisle.

Back