News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Dufferin Station Modernization (TTC, U/C)

That's the one, Osler St. Not sure what the final appearance will be.

The 1913 part of the structure will probably be retained and the newer parts would get demolished.

Okay, then, Artscape is wasting its time salvaging old Givins/Shaw

... by extension, you might as well not bother saving *any* old schools, or any old *anything*...
I'm pleased that Shaw School is being saved and repurposed. Many of these old institutional buildings would lend themselves to something similar, assuming they are in basically decent shape and without the need for asbestos remediation. We should be saving many of our older buildings, AKA our history. But not all of them need to be saved; it depends on their physical condition, the specific location, and alternative uses which present themselves.

Most school properties are in residential locations. They don't lend themselves to commercial uses. Repurposing existing buildings as loft residences or "live-work" are obvious possibilities. But this particular property is on the corner of two arterial streets. Commercial or high density mixed-use commercial - residential would be the best use here. The public interest is best served by redeveloping a good chunk of this entire block, including hopefully the Bloor Collegiate site. The city's policy of intensification along the "avenues" would be served, and the school board could earn tens of millions of badly needed dollars to recycle into the system.

Okay, then, Artscape is wasting its time salvaging old Givins/Shaw

2010shawB01.jpg

...and by extension, you might as well not bother saving *any* old schools, or any old *anything*...

Read. This. Please.

Great article — except for the U.S. spelling of enrolment (enrollment).

There's also the option of preserving a facade within the interior of a new building, or move it to the sidewalk area if need be. I can imagine what would happen when the Central Tech grounds comes up for invasion.

That's the one, Osler St. Not sure what the final appearance will be.

The 1913 part of the structure will probably be retained and the newer parts would get demolished.

They kept the most prominent part of the 1913 school facing Davenport, which was a neighbourhood landmark. The part that's preserved isn't huge but is the most substantial part and is well positioned to make an impact for generations to come. It will dominate the police station in terms of scale. However, I think they should have preserved the entire Osler Street facade instead of just part of it. Also, I'm guessing the interior was stripped. I think more attention needs to be paid to architectural heritage in terms of interiors, because it's a source of design wealth and inspiration that may be ignored and neglected going forward.

Interestingly, they demolished the Modernist addition and are replacing it with a New Modernist addition. The Modernist addition was quite bland, though great skill was displayed in choosing the colour of the bricks, which matched the old building perfectly for a seamless transition. It's something I have noticed in a lot of school expansion projects from the Modernist era, at least in my area: the expansions tended to be well-integrated into the old buildings, moreso than private sector projects.

Great article — except for the U.S. spelling of enrolment (enrollment).

Personally I can't stand the "enrolment" spelling. Looks ridiculous to me. Same with ones like "analyse" or "licence".

Looks like a great building though :)

Oh okay, I was looking at the wrong building on streets view! I don't know these buildings in person and google only seems to label the 195?'s Carleton Village Jr and Senior Public school a little further north on Osler. (which looks really fab with it's great colour detailing) and this Carleton Village has it's sigh obscured by a tree. oops!

Anyway, glad to hear the 1913 facade is being saved at least. How could they not use it? The place already looks like a location stand-in for some gritty NYPD film shoot.

Set it to Canadian English. Seeing that you are in Canada and such...

Word doesn't change the spelling of licence, unless you change the language to something foreign.

Microsoft Word is always defaulted to US English, so that's what I leave it on. I don't recall there ever being a Canadian English option when I was growing up, only US or UK, and US is closer so that's what I used.

Microsoft Word is always defaulted to US English, so that's what I leave it on. I don't recall there ever being a Canadian English option when I was growing up, only US or UK, and US is closer so that's what I used.
Do you use the default font and type size to? You simply highlight the text and go Tools, Language, Set Language to whatever ... or change the default template in a similar manner in the same way one would so it defaults to the font and spacings you prefer.

Might not have been there when you were growing up but it has been for a decade or so ... when I was growing up it was either a manual typewriter or an electronic typewriter; neither came with any default dictionaries.

Do you use the default font and type size to? You simply highlight the text and go Tools, Language, Set Language to whatever ... or change the default template in a similar manner in the same way one would so it defaults to the font and spacings you prefer.

Might not have been there when you were growing up but it has been for a decade or so ... when I was growing up it was either a manual typewriter or an electronic typewriter; neither came with any default dictionaries.

Actually I do like using default fonts and sizes.

Back