News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 773     0 

TTC: Dufferin Station Modernization (TTC, U/C)

I think the TDSB is closing the elementary school on the southwest corner due to low enrollment. Given its prominent location, redevelopment could accelerate an underground connection.

The decision has been made to close Kent school within the next two years. Bloor Collegiate, on the same block, is a good possibility for closure as well, although I don't think that decision has been formally made. Considering the age of the buildings, and the location on a major corner, IMO it would be a good idea to close both of them, demolish them, and sell the land for a very significant amount. Certainly an entrance from that corner to the subway would make sense and should be integrated into any new structure.

I think with Kent School, at the very least, a potential heritage issue has popped up...

When I said it's a stretch.... it really is a stretch. They'd have no almost double the length of the mall for it to reach Bloor. I'm also concerned about Kent. It's a nice building and because it doesn't meet the street, I don't see how Dufferin Mall would be interested in preserving it.

Dufferin Mall has been trying to shed its ghetto mall reputation so they've gone a little more upscale. An entirely new wing would be consistent with this desire. It would be their opportunity to build a more light filled, higher ceiling building that could be their new face.

They could add a large movie theatre at the street too, and perhaps a couple of 50 storey condos especially if there's open space left. And throw in a Mandarin restaurant too.

^ Ha ha, I assume this is tongue in cheek. It's more than a full block up Dufferin Street from the mall to Bloor. There is a street in the way (unlikely to be closed by the city), not to mention a church.

I'm not sure that Kent school could be saved, if the School Board decides to close it and sell it. It's an old property (1920s?). While I don't know this for sure, such buildings are often energy-inefficient, and may contain lead pipes, asbestos, etc. But the overriding consideration here is the value of the site for other uses. It would be a darn good location for a mixed use high-rise.

I'm not sure that Kent school could be saved, if the School Board decides to close it and sell it. It's an old property (1920s?). While I don't know this for sure, such buildings are often energy-inefficient, and may contain lead pipes, asbestos, etc.

Okay, then, Artscape is wasting its time salvaging old Givins/Shaw

2010shawB01.jpg

...and by extension, you might as well not bother saving *any* old schools, or any old *anything*...

Read. This. Please.

Oh that's great, I just logged on to come to the defence of the Kent school and had forgotten about the Artscape conversion, but it's a perfect example.

I'm all for the dead space between the existing mall and Bloor to be utilized -filled in with more retail/services/residential towers/subway entrance/etc but including Kent really has to be part of that vision. Demolition would be very disappointing, heck if Bloor Collegiate was opened up a bit to Bloor street it would also be very nice. Great entranceway to BC, love the deco styling.

I didn't know this school but I'm looking at it on streets view now and if this is the place you're talking about (on Osler street) then that's a real shame because it was a very good looking building, and appeared to be in decent shape. Just terrific colouring and entranceway! Is it all demo'd or was some of it retained?

Back