News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 429     0 

TTC Cartography, Signage, and Wayfinding

For line one, I wish it wasn’t a straight line. It can be confusing because you never really know if you’re going northbound or southbound it you’re a tourist. It is, however, great for determining if you’re on the right platform if you know your destination station.

Yes, Line 1 is unique in that sense compared to other lines. I agree that it should be a simple U, even if very elongated and narrow. It does help solve the platform issue though.

I'm not quite following how a straight line map helps with the platform issue compared to a simple U.

I mean just having that map there in general. Yes, either a straight line or a U would work, but the U would be more geographically accurate.

Some of new 900-series express routes feature a new format of route map on the TTC website:

- 902 Markham Rd
- 913 Progress
- 984 Sheppard West
- 985 Sheppard East

These maps are much more stylish and simple than the older format, but they also eliminated the most important piece of information for an express bus: which stops it stops at. Instead, they only list stops with connecting routes.

See for example the 937 Islington, which operates express from Islington Station to Rexdale, then makes all stops to Steeles. The map now omits the single Express stop without connecting routes (at Monogram Place), and makes no distinction between the portion where the bus serves all stops and the portion where the bus serves only express stops.
937map-notes.jpg

I emailed the TTC asking why they decided to eliminate the most useful thing on the Express route maps, and they responded:
“The new Express Network maps have been redesigned and simplified to make them easier to use and more accessible for all of our customers. All stop locations and rescheduled stop times are posted on route web pages in the same area as maps, at http://www.ttc.ca/Routes/Buses.jsp
In other words, in order to make the maps "easier to use", they decided to show some stops and not others, and no longer confuse readers by indicating the stopping pattern. If you want to find out where the express bus actually stops, you should not use the route map at all (lest you be misled by the incomplete subset of stops shown on it) and instead go look up the route's stop listing.

For comparison, see the map for the 939 Finch Express, which still uses the old style. Note that the stop at Torresdale is shown even though it has no connecting routes. The map also differentiates that service east of McCowan makes all stops while service west of McCowan stops only where indicated (maybe not the clearest way of doing so, but it makes the effort). You don't need to go digging through the stop listings to figure out which stops you can access using the express service.

939map.gif

Attachments

• 937map-notes.jpg
    937map-notes.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,213
I also don’t like how all express buses are now shown with the solid green “lozenge” marker and solid lines. There’s a big difference between the 192 or 927 (formerly 191) buses that run 21 hours a day, every 10 minutes or better, and the rush-hours-only 937 or the downtown premium express routes.

I also don’t like how all express buses are now shown with the solid green “lozenge” marker and solid lines. There’s a big difference between the 192 or 927 (formerly 191) buses that run 21 hours a day, every 10 minutes or better, and the rush-hours-only 937 or the downtown premium express routes.

I totally agree. Either show the service level on all lozenges or none of them. Honestly I don't care which they do, but they need to be consistent.

Similarly, I was a bit bothered by the lack of service level information on the Express Network Map that they've been promoting recently. So I decided to make my own Express Network maps based on daytime service periods (5am to 1am):

Express Network routes which operate all day every day:
900 Airport Express
927 Highway 27 Express
985A Sheppard East Express

I think all 3 of these routes should be on the subway map, not just the Airport Express. Just last week I struggled to give directions to someone on the subway from North York Centre to Scarborough Centre since the 985 wasn't on the map.
TTCExpress-SSEve.png

Express Network routes which operate all day every day, except evenings (some end at 19:00, others end at 22:00)
above routes, plus:
905 Eglinton East Express
925 Don Mills Express
935 Jane Express
939A Finch Express
985A Sheppard West Express
TTCExpress-SSAft.png

Express Network routes which operate weekdays except evenings (most end at 19:00)
above routes, plus:
902 Markham Road Express
929 Dufferin Express
939B Finch West Express
944 Kipling South Express
986 Wilson Express

TTCExpress-MFMidday.png

Express Network routes which operate during peak periods.
I omitted the 140-series premium express routes because they don't interface much with the rest of the TTC network.
TTCExpress-MFPeak.png

On all these maps there's a notable gap along Eglinton and along Finch West, which makes sense given that express bus service wouldn't be very fast with all the LRT construction going on. So here's the Express Network including the two LRT lines currently under construction and a couple of new/expanded express routes I added to support them.
TTCExpress-Fanatasy.png

Attachments

• TTCExpress-Fanatasy.png
    TTCExpress-Fanatasy.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 1,346
  • TTCExpress-MFMidday.png
    TTCExpress-MFMidday.png
    195.3 KB · Views: 1,380
  • TTCExpress-MFPeak.png
    TTCExpress-MFPeak.png
    218.2 KB · Views: 1,337
  • TTCExpress-SSAft.png
    TTCExpress-SSAft.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,380
  • TTCExpress-SSEve.png
    TTCExpress-SSEve.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,445
Last edited:
I totally agree. Either show the service level on all lozenges or none of them. Honestly I don't care which they do, but they need to be consistent.

Similarly, I was a bit bothered by the lack of service level information on the Express Network Map that they've been promoting recently. So I decided to make my own Express Network maps based on daytime service periods (5am to 1am):

Express Network routes which operate all day every day:
900 Airport Express
927 Highway 27 Express
985A Sheppard East Express

I think all 3 of these routes should be on the subway map, not just the Airport Express. Just last week I struggled to give directions to someone on the subway from North York Centre to Scarborough Centre since the 985 wasn't on the map.
View attachment 159423

Express Network routes which operate all day every day, except evenings (some end at 19:00, others end at 22:00)
above routes, plus:
905 Eglinton East Express
925 Don Mills Express
935 Jane Express
939A Finch Express
985A Sheppard West Express
View attachment 159422

Express Network routes which operate weekdays except evenings (most end at 19:00)
above routes, plus:
902 Markham Road Express
929 Dufferin Express
939B Finch West Express
944 Kipling South Express
986 Wilson Express

View attachment 159420

Express Network routes which operate during peak periods.
I omitted the 140-series premium express routes because they don't interface much with the rest of the TTC network.
View attachment 159421

On all these maps there's a notable gap along Eglinton and along Finch West, which makes sense given that express bus service wouldn't be very fast with all the LRT construction going on. So here's the Express Network including the two LRT lines currently under construction and a couple of new/expanded express routes I added to support them.
View attachment 159419
I like how HWY 407 and VMC aren't even on the map.

Was debating whether to post this here or on the Metrolinx catch all thread. Link

An easier way to navigate transit.

Transit Wayfinding tools are the signage, maps, and other visual information that tells you where you need to go by answering basic questions like “Am I at the right bus stop?”, “Where do I pay for my fare?” or “Where do I get the train?”. Wayfinding tools can also help you understand how different transit services and systems connect to one another, making for an easier and more relaxed commute.

Today, each of the 10 transit operators in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) uses their own unique wayfinding systems, which can be confusing for customers, especially when trying out new routes and services. One of the priority actions in The Regional Transportation Plan includes “consistent wayfinding across all modes” (Priority Action 3.3). To deliver on this, Metrolinx and our transit partners are working together through the Regional Transit Wayfinding Harmonization project. The goal of the initiative is to improve the consistency of wayfinding across the region to make your commute better and easier.

wayfinding-750.jpg

Wayfinding Pilot
New wayfinding design standards are ready for testing. Beginning in fall, 2018 you will start to see new signs and maps at Pickering GO, Hamilton GO, Finch GO Bus Terminal, and UP Express Stations. Customer feedback is key to our success. Tell us what you think at wayfinding@metrolinx.com.

I don’t necessarily hijack this thread but can someone recommend a part time or continuing education program. I already have a geographic degree with a cartography post graduate certificate and would like to improve my (graphic) design skills.

Was debating whether to post this here or on the Metrolinx catch all thread. Link

Transit Wayfinding tools are the signage, maps, and other visual information that tells you where you need to go by answering basic questions like “Am I at the right bus stop?”, “Where do I pay for my fare?” or “Where do I get the train?”. Wayfinding tools can also help you understand how different transit services and systems connect to one another, making for an easier and more relaxed commute.

Today, each of the 10 transit operators in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) uses their own unique wayfinding systems, which can be confusing for customers, especially when trying out new routes and services. One of the priority actions in The Regional Transportation Plan includes “consistent wayfinding across all modes” (Priority Action 3.3). To deliver on this, Metrolinx and our transit partners are working together through the Regional Transit Wayfinding Harmonization project. The goal of the initiative is to improve the consistency of wayfinding across the region to make your commute better and easier.

wayfinding-750.jpg

Wayfinding Pilot
New wayfinding design standards are ready for testing. Beginning in fall, 2018 you will start to see new signs and maps at Pickering GO, Hamilton GO, Finch GO Bus Terminal, and UP Express Stations. Customer feedback is key to our success. Tell us what you think at wayfinding@metrolinx.com.

Do they have any documentation on their standard? I'm curious how likely all the other agencies are to buy into this, especially since some like the TTC have just spent a lot of effort redesigning their wayfinding already. I suppose with the plan to upload most of the infrastructure to Metrolinx anyway it doesn't matter what the agencies think.

Thanks for the link, but I actually meant the Metrolinx one, it looks TTCish in their little sample pictures, but not quite the same. .

The closest on wayfinding on the Metrolinx website is at this link:

Wayfinding Harmonization

Wayfinding Pilot

Back