News   Jul 15, 2024
 787     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 929     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 640     0 

TTC: Bloor Danforth Line 2 West Extension(s)

... isnt there a ton of stuff, including a condo tower that is in the way of an above ground alignment ?

It can stay on the long term study list for a lifetime. There won't be money to build it.

- Paul

... isnt there a ton of stuff, including a condo tower that is in the way of an above ground alignment ?
No.

There is room at-grade for a single track so the two tracks would be stacked (one slightly submerged, one slightly elevated). After the condo, there is room for two tracks. This would add a few tens of millions to construction cost - so not a deal breaker. I did have a diagram there, that I will have to look up.

I did see a twitter doodle of the line actually going south to Obico yard and the west along North Queen. Stations at N.Queen/East Mall and Sherway. I don't know if this was pure conjecture, or real. If TTC does get the Obico yards for storage, it may make sense to only go under CPR once.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, this kills the Cloverdale terminal idea? (The idea that did make a lot of sense, given the through ridership from Mississauga?)

- Paul

Absolute 0 percent chance this gets built in any of our lifetimes. Just look at how long the DRL has been on the books for.

City council sure loves wasting time these days.

I wouldn't say never.

We might be surprised at how much development takes place along Dundas West in Etobicoke by 2031/2041. I can see rational for stops at Shorncliffe, Cloverdale (East Mall) and Sherway.

Anyone know if there are accessible docs/reports on past proposals for extending B/D west? Or are these only to be found in the 2nd floor of the Reference Library?

Anyone know if there are accessible docs/reports on past proposals for extending B/D west? Or are these only to be found in the 2nd floor of the Reference Library?
https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...07/Feb_27_2007/Other/Cost_of_Updating_Blo.jsp

It mentions that an Environmental Assessment was done in 1993, and also :

"The cost of preparing the full EA, which includes alternative alignments, is estimated to be $3M. The order of magnitude capital cost estimate is $1B ($2007) for a subway extension to Queensway/West Mall and $1.5B for an extension to Dixie, assuming an underground alignment.

The EA is estimated to take up to 24 months from time of funding approval. This period includes approval of the EA Terms of Reference and submission of the report to the Minister of the Environment. The Provincial review period is mandated to be 6 months after submission."

I'm not sure if that EA was ever approved in 2007, if it was, couldn't it simply just be updated, instead of doing a completely new one?

Maybe now that Scarborough and North York have gained the lead on upcoming subway planning, it's good to have this thread as a discussion about "what does Etobicoke actually need most?".

I would put a Humber Bay solution ahead of a Line 2 extension. And a 512 extension. It's time to ask about north-south connectivity.

- Paul

This is bananas. I'm for extending Bloor-Danforth to the 427 (aka close to the Toronto west border) but why Sherway Gardens? These stupid fantasies of building subways in random directions to random destinations is the result of hodge-podge pet project pushing, not planning a transit network.

IMO, West Mall/Dundas is a much more strategic spot. That way, you can make it the terminus of the future Dundas and 427 south BRTs, and the mobility hub that Kipling was supposed to be. That's a network approach, even if it costs more, it would likely have more justifiable ridership.

Back