News   Jan 15, 2021
 747     0 
News   Jan 15, 2021
 972     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
How come noone ever puts an lrt/street car down Kingston Rd?

Not a criticism, just curious

There was an EA done by the city about 10 or 15 years ago which was then quietly left on a shelf somewhere to collect dust...

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
How come noone ever puts an lrt/street car down Kingston Rd?

Not a criticism, just curious
A BRT is currently planned for the corridor which is probably more appropriate than LRT/streetcar operations, but who knows with the way transit planning and funding in this city goes.

andrewmaps

Member Bio
Reaction score
....dreaming of a better day for VIA
VIA Rail Map NEW.jpg

Last edited:

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Typo on Minneapolis, but aside from that, I've long thought the routing VIA briefly tried that takes the Super Contintental through Regina AND Saskatoon makes a lot more sense, albeit considerably less important with restoring The Canadian.

Also, why no Vermonter extension to Montreal? I'd also at least consider extending whatever the service south from Winnipeg is into Chicago, especially if the corridor cross-border route does that. Ideally I'd lean toward a sleeper operating Toronto - Chicago - Winnipeg and extending Windsor Corridor Trains to Detroit Michigan Central.

Last edited:

andrewmaps

Member Bio
Reaction score
Typo on Minneapolis, but aside from that, I've long through the routing VIA briefly tried that takes the Super Contintental through Regina AND Saskatoon makes a lot more sense, albeit considerably less important with restoring The Canadian.

Also, why no Vermonter extension to Montreal? I'd also at least consider extending whatever the service south from Winnipeg is into Chicago, especially if the corridor cross-border route does that. Ideally I'd lean toward a sleeper operating Toronto - Chicago - Winnipeg and extending Windsor Corridor Trains to Detroit Michigan Central.
These are all great ideas... thought I was getting carried away taking the Ocean to London, but hey, yeah, why not Chicago/Winnipeg? - with maps like these, we can do whatever we want. cheers

JSF-1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Back in the 70's the Province was developing a plan called GO Urban which I assume was the the first iteration of what would become GO ALRT. Anyways the Urban plan called for railways throughout Toronto, however the plan also proposed lines in Hamilton and Ottawa. All I could find where basic outline maps for the lines with no stations, so I made my own with possible stations that may have been built.

The first is the proposed GO Urban lines in Hamilton
HamiltonGOUbran.png

The second are the GO Urban lines proposed for Ottawa
OttawaGOUrban.png

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's somewhat later than GO Urban proper, but that eventually became (in Hamilton) a proposal for an ICTS line looping downtown, tunneling up the mountain in line with James St and terminating at Mohawk:
ICTS2.jpg
ICTS1.jpg

The alignment was a bit odd in missing Mohawk college, but I still think the concept of a Mountain transit tunnel has a lot of validity, and that this line would probably have done a much better job marketing ICTS than the SRT ever did.

H4F33Z

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum, have been reading for while. I was just wondering, what software/website do you make these maps on?
Thanks.
It's usually Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop for people who have experience using those programs, that'll get you the nicest and professional-looking maps, however, there are many other free websites and programs that you can use. Brand New Subway uses Google Maps API so you can easily make stations and lines on a map overlay. Metro Map Creator is a one that I used, it's a bit finicky, and it does look a bit generic, but you can make some good stuff with it. Just search on Google, and see what's best for what you're trying to do.

JSF-1

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's somewhat later than GO Urban proper, but that eventually became (in Hamilton) a proposal for an ICTS line looping downtown, tunneling up the mountain in line with James St and terminating at Mohawk:View attachment 282121View attachment 282122
The alignment was a bit odd in missing Mohawk college, but I still think the concept of a Mountain transit tunnel has a lot of validity, and that this line would probably have done a much better job marketing ICTS than the SRT ever did.
I've felt that Hamilton is probably the one place in Cananda (and possibly North America) where a Monorail could legitimately work like what's seen in Japan and China. To me it checks off all the boxes, from having the perfect capacity, being grade separate for rapid transit, and most importantly being able to climb steeper grades then steel-wheeled metro making getting up the mountain easy and cheap since you wouldn't need to tunnel. Now if the plan doesn't include the mountain like what Hamiltons transit plans currently are, then a Monorail is absolutely useless and LRT is the best solution. However if you want to go up the mountain without sacrificing capacity and rapidness then Monorail to me actually becomes a viable solution.

north-of-anything

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've felt that Hamilton is probably the one place in Cananda (and possibly North America) where a Monorail could legitimately work like what's seen in Japan and China. To me it checks off all the boxes, from having the perfect capacity, being grade separate for rapid transit, and most importantly being able to climb steeper grades then steel-wheeled metro making getting up the mountain easy and cheap since you wouldn't need to tunnel. Now if the plan doesn't include the mountain like what Hamiltons transit plans currently are, then a Monorail is absolutely useless and LRT is the best solution. However if you want to go up the mountain without sacrificing capacity and rapidness then Monorail to me actually becomes a viable solution.
That would be cool, but the most likely corridor for transit that gets up the mountain (James Street) would likely need to continue to John C. Munro Airport. Would a monorail be the best solution for transit between two points south of the escarpment?

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
The thing on my mind for a few years has been that new mountain seems like one of the few places that a guided busway actually makes a lot of sense.