365     0 
News   Aug 10, 2020
 1.2K     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

north-of-anything

Member Bio
Reaction score
queen and lakeshore streetcars.png

I decided to merge one of my previous ideas (Parliament streetcar) with a couple other proposals to come up with this.

The 501 Queen route now ends at the 2150 Lake Shore development, here labeled as Humber Bay, in the streetcar loop that connects to the proposed GO station. It continues eastwards through its present-day route to the Scarborough border. A new route, potentially replacing the 509, now covers the stops west of Park Lawn, allowing for a quicker ride to the South Core. It then continues through the underground segment below Bay and Yonge, maybe or maybe not stopping at Queens Quay or Union, before continuing onto the East Bayfront route and up Parliament to Castle Frank Station.

Also marked along the route are all of the streetcar stops, both major and minor, however I did make some changes:

West of Royal York: Stops at 28th, 15th, and 5th Streets were removed. 28th and 15th Streets do not have traffic lights anyways.
Royal York to Humber Bay: Stops at Norris/Hillside, Superior, and Louisa were removed.
Humber Bay to Kingsway: The stop north of Silver Moon and the stop at Jean Augustine Park are served by the 509 branch only, while the current Humber Loop is served by the 501 only. Kingsway is served by both lines.
Kingsway to Dufferin Street: Windermere is served by the 501 and Ellis by the 509 to reduce stopping frequency in Swansea without compromising service. The 509 splits at Colborne Lodge and stops only at Budapest Park and Jameson Avenue before Dufferin. Stops at Triller and Dunn were removed.
Queen from Dufferin to Parliament: Sudbury is not shown here but IDK how much of an obstacle the rail bridge is to the Dufferin stop. Stops at Abell, Shaw, Peter/Soho, St. Patrick, York, Victoria, and Ontario were removed.
Harbourfront from Dufferin to Queen: Follows the existing 509 route, minus stops at Fort York and Billy Bishop. East of Bay, the streetcar stops at Freeland, Lower Jarvis, Lower Sherbourne, and Small before turning onto Parliament. On Parliament, there are stops at Mill and King.
Queen east of Parliament: Stops at Carroll, Saulter, Logan, Pape, Alton, and Elmer were removed. The stops on the Downtowner/Kingston branch were inaccurate from the get-go, I think, so just ignore them. I'm not sure if any of these stops have already been removed or not.

Most stops have a larger buffer between them, but in some areas I kept trios of closely spaced stops because the middle one serves a point of interest (e.g. Niagara and the St. Nicholas church, Sackville and Trefann Court/Regent Park). I do look forward to the day where the streetcar stops in Toronto aren't so close together that it's a pain to draw them all for a single line, let alone the whole system.

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
It seems to me like a Long Branch car running along the lake would be one of the worst choices for through running across Bay on Queens Quay... This is a car specifically offering a direct ride downtown, and one I would expect to see real demand for subway transfers on...

I definitely like the concept of a Parliament car, but it really seems better routed as an independent services terminating at Exhibition or attached to Bathurst. The tempting thing to draw for me would be for Parliament to operate on a new ROW south of the Exhibition grounds via Ontario Place.

north-of-anything

Member Bio
Reaction score
It seems to me like a Long Branch car running along the lake would be one of the worst choices for through running across Bay on Queens Quay... This is a car specifically offering a direct ride downtown, and one I would expect to see real demand for subway transfers on...

I definitely like the concept of a Parliament car, but it really seems better routed as an independent services terminating at Exhibition or attached to Bathurst. The tempting thing to draw for me would be for Parliament to operate on a new ROW south of the Exhibition grounds via Ontario Place.
Parliament being attached to Bathurst admittedly makes a lot more sense. The problem I have with through running across Bay is that it doesn't make sense for any lines to be doing it. It would be much better if there was a stop right at Bay parallel to Queen's Quay that allowed people to walk to the Ferry Docks station and the PATH network. Is there a lot of ridership on the Bathurst line that takes the long approach to Union? (As someone not familiar with the streetcar network, this is difficult enough without factoring in what will run along the eventual Lower Don Lands tracks...)

On the other hand, I do think that the Harbourfront route should be extended northwest, and have a line end at Park Lawn instead of making a single route do short turns.

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
The problem I have with through running across Bay is that it doesn't make sense for any lines to be doing it.
In principle I agree, and this is a big part of why I very much do want a Bay streetcar through run from the south as a fairly high priority following the relief line (I kind of picture it as the next project after what's officially under way, the 407 busway and something parallel to the 427). It's less a local route to me, though it certainly has demand, than a distributor for services that would otherwise end up having to be squeezed into the Union loop.

That said, I don't think a combined Bathurst/Parliament car would be that bad, especially considering that neither of these routes have direct connectivity now. There definitely is SOME call for a through service on QQ, and Parliament seems the least problematic way of serving this assuming we had all the streetcar lines that have been discussed in place.

PS: Having written that I looked at a map and realized my TRUE dream world would keep Bathurst as an independent service, while having Parliament and Dufferin cars operate opposing one way loops around the Exhibition via Ontario Place.

Last edited:

jcam

Member Bio
Reaction score
A Line 2 extension to reach the Hurontario LRT would parallel the Milton GO Train. They are already rebuilding the COOKSVILLE GO Station, which would be a transfer point for the Hurontario LRT. From link. (Can you say "discount transfer fares"?)

To reply to comment from the Yonge North thread re: Milton line, if we ever get a Jane LRT (the bus lanes will likely help prove its usefulness), I think it would make sense to have a 'Lambton' stop added after Kipling to make an interchange...Jane LRT, extended St. Clair streetcar, and GO Milton.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
I spent a decent amount of time on this, no real context to it
View attachment 261921
Interesting that you used the DRL Route instead of the OL route. Aside from that, I think I personally think having the DRL extend west to Dundas West if not Keele to better serve the neighbourhoods of Parkdale and Roncesvales. I like your choice of having Line 2 go all the way to Sherway however, I think that's an extension that's long overdue, and I don't think it would be that expensive or difficult to build since it would mostly follow a preexisting ROW.

Ritachi

Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting that you used the DRL Route instead of the OL route. Aside from that, I think I personally think having the DRL extend west to Dundas West if not Keele to better serve the neighbourhoods of Parkdale and Roncesvales. I like your choice of having Line 2 go all the way to Sherway however, I think that's an extension that's long overdue, and I don't think it would be that expensive or difficult to build since it would mostly follow a preexisting ROW.
I would have normally routed the DRL throughParkdale however my choice to use Dufferin was largely due to the overcrowding onthe 29 Dufferin bus. Dufferin doesn't have any room for dedicated bus lanes or a dedicated ROW streetcar (like St. Clair). I don't really like the alignment for the Ontario Line, I think it too obstructive for the conventional rail lines. VIA and GO Transit need all the space they can get.

north-of-anything

Member Bio
Reaction score
Effective January 2031, oh if only.

I love the two-stop west extension of Line 2 - a straight shot to Sherway doesn't make much sense to me. Some of the stops don't make a lot of sense, though - why is there a Royal Orchard stop? Why did Bay/Main Street get renamed? Why are there so few on Finch east of the Spadina branch, and so many on Sheppard east of Fairview?

Speaking of which, Fairview, Newtonbrook, and The Annex are fantastic stop names.

Ritachi

Member Bio
Reaction score
Effective January 2031, oh if only.

I love the two-stop west extension of Line 2 - a straight shot to Sherway doesn't make much sense to me. Some of the stops don't make a lot of sense, though - why is there a Royal Orchard stop? Why did Bay/Main Street get renamed? Why are there so few on Finch east of the Spadina branch, and so many on Sheppard east of Fairview?

Speaking of which, Fairview, Newtonbrook, and The Annex are fantastic stop names.
I try to keep the stations at least 800m apart in most cases, travel time significantly slows with more stations. I also struggled a bit with station spacing, normally I would have not put as many stations along Sheppard East. Again there isn't much context to the map other than it sbsolutely will not come to pass.