News   Mar 28, 2024
 471     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 390     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 740     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Come to think of it, a lot of the new buildings on Dupont are being built in a way that they're the minimum distance from the tracks they can be. That would render placing tracks between those buildings and the existing tracks pretty difficult.

relief.png

Presented without much comment. Dark blue is underground, light blue is "not necessarily underground". Serves as a relief line east of Line 1, and as a replacement for the Dufferin bus west of Line 1.

I had the exact same reaction as 44 North regarding the extension north of Eglington... However, this is a fantasy thread so why not think like Asia and build a white elephant CBD 2 or Science City in the Caledonia and Lawrence area ;). The entire area is mixed industrial/ commercial employment lands so it's a rare location that could be plausibly levelled from scratch and is basically the geographical centre of the GTA

I had the exact same reaction as 44 North regarding the extension north of Eglington... However, this is a fantasy thread so why not think like Asia and build a white elephant CBD 2 or Science City in the Caledonia and Lawrence area ;). The entire area is mixed industrial/ commercial employment lands so it's a rare location that could be plausibly levelled from scratch and is basically the geographical centre of the GTA

Yeah, as far as pure fantasy goes, Dufferin as the western leg is pretty nice, even if I am personally partial to a version that hits King/Queen/Roncesvalles but loops back west to hit the rail corridor at Dundas West.

View attachment 266200

A new and improved 512 streetcar, complete with consolidated stops and an extension to Jane Street!

Filled in circles denote current stops that I chose to remove. Stops are closest together in the area around and between the rail corridors, and furthest apart on either side of Hillcrest (Christie/Humewood). Using the St Clair West subway station should be encouraged over use of the streetcar to the Yonge branch, which is the reason behind the removal of the Bathurst stop. Russell Hill was preserved instead of Spadina because it was halfway between St Clair West Station and Avenue Road. Considering this line's lack of connection to the other streetcar lines, it may be more beneficial to group the 512 in with the Crosstown and Finch West lines as the "LRTs outside of downtown". Ideally removing these stops will also remove a few of the traffic lights along the route that slow everyone down.

I'd put back a stop between Bathurst and Vaughan (unless St. Clair West Station is rebuilt with a much better entrypoint towards Bathurst), and maybe move Russel Hill towards Spadina, but otherwise I like it.

I was already thinking of five or six stops that I'd remove without such a drastic change as proposed above. There is absolutely no need for two separate surface stops at Vaughan and Bathurst, for example.

Waaay too close to Line 1 north of Eglinton. They'd have more subway coverage than the core and CBD. Best to veer it W north of St Clair. Even without a valley or road to follow, you can still have a line stray off an existing right of way for a bit.

Agreed. If you're looking for more coverage, maybe run it up Dufferin to Dupont, and then west in/under/over the Midtown corridor?

The reason I made the western branch go up Dufferin was because north of Eglinton is where the redevelopment potential is highest, and the existing bus route is incredibly congested. It's not my first pick for a western extension, though, but it's either this or better links between Dufferin and Line 1.

I disagree with curving the line any farther north than Davenport, because that would encourage the treatment of the line as a "magic bullet" for Toronto's transit woes, and not simply one piece of the puzzle. The line can't overlap too much with the Barrie GO line or the Jane corridor. The more likely solution in my mind would have the line following the parkettes/hydro corridor northwest to Weston Road, but I'm not sure how feasible using that corridor for transit would be.

EDIT: Maybe something like this would work, but I'm not sure if people will want to use it if it dips all the way down to the lake shore before heading onto Queen.

altwest.png

Last edited:
I've created a much more extensive fantasy transit map for the city, took a while to fit the GO train lines in on the map, I will probably make a separate map exclusively showing GO Train lines. The GO Lines only show electrified RER style service. I did away with numbered lines for Toronto simply because fitting & centering numbers over 10 into a circle was a pain in the ass.
ttc-torontosubway150.png

(Edit: The full resolution won't show on here: link to better quality image: https://www.deviantart.com/ritachi9077/art/Fantasy-TTC-Toronto-Subway-Map-855835558)

Last edited:
I've created a much more extensive fantasy transit map for the city, took a while to fit the GO train lines in on the map, I will probably make a separate map exclusively showing GO Train lines. The GO Lines only show electrified RER style service. I did away with numbered lines for Toronto simply because fitting & centering numbers over 10 into a circle was a pain in the ass.
View attachment 270915

(Edit: The full resolution won't show on here: link to better quality image: https://www.deviantart.com/ritachi9077/art/Fantasy-TTC-Toronto-Subway-Map-855835558)

Looks wonderful, but at the rate they are building the network, it'll be over 100 years before it happens.

View attachment 270915

Very cool map! Looks very nice, and TTC font is always a plus.
Quite interesting what you did with the GO lines - you've got a lot of new ROWs and new track (Stouffville and RH lines to Mt Albert, Barrie line to Sutton, RH line to Bradford).
I also see you truncated the GO lines to Barrie, Niagara Falls, and Kitchener - would you picture these being run by VIA or some other agency? What sorts of frequencies do you picture?
Also, a Kipling, Jane, St. Clair, Finch, and Sheppard subways plus 3 Peel LRTs but no YNSE to Langstaff? I think York needs a bit more stuff lol.

Back