News   Jul 15, 2019
 632     2 
News   Jul 15, 2019
 919     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

north-of-anything

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think there are cheaper ways for Union to accommodate more services, or at least ways that don't involve trains climbing up steep slopes to reach the top of the station.

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think there are cheaper ways for Union to accommodate more services, or at least ways that don't involve trains climbing up steep slopes to reach the top of the station.
Technically, an elevated station allows for deceleration while climbing into the station, and acceleration while leaving it. That's a good thing.

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Technically, an elevated station allows for deceleration while climbing into the station, and acceleration while leaving it. That's a good thing.
Depends on the route. It may already be high enough that it might be at the height, or even higher than the station platform.

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
In the west there could be a Humber Line that goes from Humber College to Humber College with stops at Kipling, the Airport, the Racetrack.

JSF-1

Member Bio
Reaction score
In the west there could be a Humber Line that goes from Humber College to Humber College with stops at Kipling, the Airport, the Racetrack.
So the Etobicoke RT? That was a big idea during the late 70's; so big they even built a platform for it at Kipling. Unfortunately the SRT debacle put an end to the Etobicoke RT real quick and by extension Etobicoke's chances of actually developing into something more then a suburb. The SRT did wonders for Scarborough in it's now 30+ year operation, I can only imagine how Etobicoke would have changed had they gotten there RT.

JSF-1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just as a addon this is atleast my rought approximation of what the Etobicoke RT would have been like using the little information we have on it. The only interesting bit was the idea of the line having 2 branches, one to Pearson and another to York U. The later likely being a hold over from the time when Metro was planning a "Northern Crosstown LRT" which was to run from Kipling to Kennedy via the Finch Hydro Corridor. I could imagine the Etobicoke RT's northern branch being built with an eastern extension in mind likely bringing the Etobicoke RT to Finch Station and possibly beyond into Scarborough. Building this line today would be a real struggle compared to back in the 70's when a alot the planned route was still mostly empty land.
EtobicokeRT.png

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just as a addon this is atleast my rought approximation of what the Etobicoke RT would have been like using the little information we have on it. The only interesting bit was the idea of the line having 2 branches, one to Pearson and another to York U. The later likely being a hold over from the time when Metro was planning a "Northern Crosstown LRT" which was to run from Kipling to Kennedy via the Finch Hydro Corridor. I could imagine the Etobicoke RT's northern branch being built with an eastern extension in mind likely bringing the Etobicoke RT to Finch Station and possibly beyond into Scarborough. Building this line today would be a real struggle compared to back in the 70's when a alot the planned route was still mostly empty land.
View attachment 189838
I still wish this would be built. Continuing east along Finch Hydro corridor.

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I like that idea, but where would the two meet up? Could the Etobicoke Transitway end at or intersect with Jane so buses can go up to the Highway 407 and Vaughan TTC stations?
Isn't the Highway 427 Transitway also a proposed thing? That would mean an interchange station at 427/407 would work. It also may be possible that the Eglinton West LRT from Renforth to Pearson could be made bus-compatible.

doady

Member Bio
Reaction score
I like that idea, but where would the two meet up? Could the Etobicoke Transitway end at or intersect with Jane so buses can go up to the Highway 407 and Vaughan TTC stations?
I think such the transitway should go north along Keele so the buses can also serve York University similar to JSF-1's map. Better connecting Etobicoke to York U and the Spadina subway line is a good idea, but with busway you can also connect to Mississauga and Markham and beyond. It would be very heavily used not only by TTC buses, but also GO and MiWay buses. It would be great for regional transit in addition to local transit.

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
Isn't the Highway 427 Transitway also a proposed thing? That would mean an interchange station at 427/407 would work. It also may be possible that the Eglinton West LRT from Renforth to Pearson could be made bus-compatible.
Hwy 427 transitway is to terminate at Pearson airport if memory serves. However I don't see there being much difficulty in extending that route to Renforth Gateway and Kipling station, aside from space constraints.

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
A busway is fine too, and probably has a greater chance of happening
Have we not learned from Ottawa? The conversion to LRT is a painful one. In our larger cities, we should avoid busways/transitways as much as possible. Build rail transit or don't waste the money. With so few transit dollars, we should only build on things that will bring the most benefit. Problem is, busways/transitways are a great political tool during an election.

H4F33Z

Member Bio
Reaction score
Transitways are great for cities and towns that don't need the full power and capacity of a lrt, like London ON, and the surrounding GTA cities. Busways are great for corridors that don't need the capacity of the lrt and is Cheap! Buses are also very maneuverable.