News   Nov 20, 2019
 454     1 
News   Nov 20, 2019
 1.8K     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
None of the options would replace the Don Mills local bus. To be competitive with the Yonge line, the DRL will most likely have 2km stop spacing north of Eglinton, like the Yonge line. At 2km spacing, you need an overlay bus service, because you're way beyond the ~400m suggested upper limit for local service stop spacing. Note that there's all-day bus service to duplicate the Yonge line north of Davisville, and there's even bus service duplicating the Sheppard line whose stop spacing is closer to 1km.
I'm mindful. The bus on Eglinton won't be disappearing either with the Crosstown even despite the much closer stop spacing.

But it is the difference between running a frequent local bus service on Don Mills versus one that comes every 15 or 30 minutes.

The proposed alignment would intercept east-west bus riders from the Yonge subway and ferry them to locations downtown, but it won't do much for the people who's origin or destination is along Don Mills itself. Which is actually quite a lot of people (38,000 use the Don Mills bus daily at present, and 34 buses are operating the route in the morning rush hour) and destinations/employment.

north-of-anything

Member Bio
Reaction score

The main reason I joined this forum was to dump stuff in this thread.

This here is a map of what the GO system could look like if it got an electric upgrade and the relief line was built for EMUs instead of for Toronto Rockets. The vast majority of rail on this map already exists, but not all of it has passenger service on it right now. And of course, different express services would now exist on nearly every line.

The Lakeshore line, aka Hamilton-Oshawa, now has a transfer station at East Harbour by Broadview, and the current Durham and Niagara extensions are shown as planned - with the exception of the Kenilworth station which has been added to eastern Hamilton. Niagara trains east of Burlington would only stop at Union and maybe Port Credit.
The Interior line, aka Kitchener-Stouffville, has a few stations added in Toronto, as well as the currently proposed Breslau station and Kitchener relocation. The UPX is a separate service that I left alone. There is also a branch service from downtown to Bolton, as well as two potential extensions (to Uxbridge in the east and to Alliston in the northwest) that would probably get significantly limited service.
The Central line, aka Barrie-Don Valley or Barrie-Moraine, is the only line to regularly use the Queen corridor. Concord (at Highway 7), Langstaff, and Scarsdale serve as transfers between local service and express service. A few stations in Toronto and near Aurora have been added to those currently proposed.
The Peel line largely follows the current Milton GO line, with a few additional stations in Mississauga. There is a branch service to Orangeville via the OBRY that would be among the least frequent, and a potential extension in the main line to Cambridge. It peters out east of Kipling because I couldn't decide whether it would take over the North Toronto tracks or the current Line 2, so I settled on "whatever."

doady

Member Bio
Reaction score
Map for GTA I made way back in the day (with some minor edits). Some may remember. Hard to make major edits because Illustrator cannot load fonts properly or something but I'm not sure what I would change anyways:

And map for Mississauga, also a repost:

adrianaliu

Member Bio
Reaction score
Map for GTA I made way back in the day (with some minor edits). Some may remember. Hard to make major edits because Illustrator cannot load fonts properly or something but I'm not sure what I would change anyways:

And map for Mississauga, also a repost:
holy i remember the misissauga map time goes so by

doady

Member Bio
Reaction score
And nothing much changed.
Yes, it should be the same map, I don't think I updated anything, if that's what you're saying.

Or were you saying it is too similar to the current system? It wasn't meant to be long term otherwise the LRT would be on there. And keep in mind, this map was made years ago, before the "MiWay Five" thing. Within 5 years, they just need to have more direct routes and unified corridors for better grid connections. McLaughlin + Confederation, Southdown + Erin Mills, Creditview to Derry, and so on.

north-of-anything

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've had another idea bouncing around in my head recently that I wanted to put down, but couldn't find the energy to actually make into a visual or a diagram. So I'll describe it the best I can in words.

The Lawrence Rapid Transit Corridor

I think Lawrence Avenue is a great place to either have a mostly on-street LRT like Finch West or a BRT route with dedicated lanes for as long as possible. This is the routing I envision it taking, from east to west:

Rouge Hill Terminal
Charlottetown at Centennial Road
crosses Highland Creek
Beechgrove Drive
Manse Road
Kingston-Morningside
Galloway Road
crosses Highland Creek
Mossbank Drive
Markham Green at Markham Road
Bellamy Road
McCowan Road
Gatineau Trail at Brimley Road
Brockley Drive
Dorset Park - Stouffville GO Connection
Birchmount Road
Warden Avenue
Townley Avenue
Curlew Drive
crosses East Don and Don Valley Parkway
Don Mills Road - Relief Line North Connection
Spur Trail at Leslie Street
Bridle Path
Glendon Campus at Bayview
exclusive right-of-way from York University campus to Mildenhall-Lawrence
Wanless Avenue
Yonge Street - Line 1 Connection
Avenue Road
Bathurst Street
Marlee Avenue - Line 1 Connection
Dufferin Street
Caledonia Road (potential Barrie GO connection)
Keele Street
Culford Road
crosses Black Creek
Jane Street
Weston Centre - Kitchener GO Connection
crosses Humber River
Scarlett-Lawrence
route turns northwest onto or near Scarlett
St. Phillips Road
Islington Avenue
Kipling Avenue
Toronto Congress Centre
potential interlining with Finch West extension if LRT
Attwell Drive
Carlingview Drive
Pearson Airport

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've had another idea bouncing around in my head recently that I wanted to put down, but couldn't find the energy to actually make into a visual or a diagram. So I'll describe it the best I can in words.

The Lawrence Rapid Transit Corridor

I think Lawrence Avenue is a great place to either have a mostly on-street LRT like Finch West or a BRT route with dedicated lanes for as long as possible. This is the routing I envision it taking, from east to west:
I've definitely thought about the potential of BRT on Lawrence before too. I wonder how important crossing Bridle Path is for such a corridor though.

The eastern portion could intersect with a Relief Line station at Don Mills, and then head down Leslie to terminate at Leslie Station.
And the western portion could cross Yonge Street and terminate at Sunnybrook Hospital where they should be able to turn around and head back westbound. (I am hesitant to send it down to Eglinton to intersect with the Crosstown because the traffic at Bayview is atrocious near Eglinton, and I don't know how the buses would turn around).

north-of-anything

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've definitely thought about the potential of BRT on Lawrence before too. I wonder how important crossing Bridle Path is for such a corridor though.

The eastern portion could intersect with a Relief Line station at Don Mills, and then head down Leslie to terminate at Leslie Station.
And the western portion could cross Yonge Street and terminate at Sunnybrook Hospital where they should be able to turn around and head back westbound. (I am hesitant to send it down to Eglinton to intersect with the Crosstown because the traffic at Bayview is atrocious near Eglinton, and I don't know how the buses would turn around).
I think maintaining a single corridor across the entire city is crucial to the feasibility of the line. I don't see a reason to break it in the Bridle Path neighbourhood because of property values or whatever else. This isn't the Spadina Expressway where we would be splitting a community in twain, and this isn't opening up the area to more private vehicles either.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think maintaining a single corridor across the entire city is crucial to the feasibility of the line. I don't see a reason to break it in the Bridle Path neighbourhood because of property values or whatever else. This isn't the Spadina Expressway where we would be splitting a community in twain, and this isn't opening up the area to more private vehicles either.
I'm not concerned about the Bridle Path's property values, just that it represents a significant obstacle (which means $$$ to overcome). (However, since you bring it up, neighbourhood opposition will be a factor if something is attempted here).

The question then becomes two-fold: (a) How are commute patterns enhanced by a connection through Bridle Path that aren't already resolved by the parallel Eglinton Crosstown route, and (b) what destinations are reached by this connection?

On the former point, I would imagine that most west-bound commuters will alight at Don Mills to head downtown. So I imagine that the number of passengers who would continue their journey crosstown would be fairly small between Don Mills and Lawrence Park. Of those remainder passengers, how many would be better convenienced by a direct connection to the Eglinton Crosstown and to Yonge-Eglinton?

On the latter point, your alignment stops at Glendon Campus, but misses Sunnybrook Hospital which is the main trip generator in the area. The Bayview bus actually stops there for 5 minutes during it's journey due to its importance. For servicing the area, that is why I suggested the western half terminating there.

Finally, there are actually benefits to having shorter routes. Run times can be more reliable throughout the corridor than compared to a longer route. I wouldn't say there is a "correct" answer here, just various pros and cons that should be weighed against each other.

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think the solution to through running on Lawrence might be to turn south on Leslie, build a new transit only Wilket Creek crossing, use the existing road/trail system to cross Sunnybrook park. It definitely makes more sense to me than missing Sunnybrook and building some new ravine crossing near Bridle Path. The real question is how much we want to spend on this thing. My inclination would be to build it quick and dirty with a western branch from Leaside station (or possibly extended east to the bus terminal as Don Mills station) and the eastern running Yonge/Eglinton turning north on Bayview. The TTC will moan about duplicating the crosstown, and obviously these branches could be truncated or through routed, but the duplication doesn't seem to fall on the wrong side of unconscionable given the infrastructure we're working with and better connectivity it West hits the Relief line directly and East Yonge directly.