News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Great to see discussion Re: Yonge Express Subway on here. This is the first time I have seen a proposal for an express Yonge line that would not be stupid expensive/shut down the city for years.

Question: Why are we so afraid of tunnelling deep on Bay? Yes, it would suck going up and down so many escalators, but to me it seems like an okay compromise for:

1) saving a lot of money and disruption with trying to route a tunnel in between a PATH network & Relief Line Subway at Queen;
2) bringing back the Wellesley station in the above proposal (UofT is an important node to hit IMO);
3) reaching the financial district and Union Station;
4) bringing the subway all the way down to Queens Quay, and delivering an appropriate interchange station with Queens Quay streetcars/LRT (no more dumb travellator ideas).

Great to see discussion Re: Yonge Express Subway on here. This is the first time I have seen a proposal for an express Yonge line that would not be stupid expensive/shut down the city for years.

Question: Why are we so afraid of tunnelling deep on Bay? Yes, it would suck going up and down so many escalators, but to me it seems like an okay compromise for:

1) saving a lot of money and disruption with trying to route a tunnel in between a PATH network & Relief Line Subway at Queen;
2) bringing back the Wellesley station in the above proposal (UofT is an important node to hit IMO);
4) bringing the subway all the way down to Queens Quay, and delivering an appropriate interchange station with Queens Quay streetcars/LRT (no more dumb travellator ideas).

Why stop at Queen's Quay? Go under the water and connect it to the airport.

No station at St Clair, and that should help select the optimal underground route to reach Davisville.
I should have caught this in my post above, but how much better of a route would this need to be to justify dropping St. Clair?

St. Clair is a fairly large node, with a large employment base. Many people commuting from the north are heading to St. Clair rather than downtown. Of course, they could just transfer for one stop at Davisville. But I question if dropping it is necessary for optimising this Davisville transfer.

Hi all! Long time lurker here. I've finally got around to finishing up my fantasy map. Please let me know what you all think!

TTC FANTASTY DRAFT-01.jpg

Attachments

• TTC FANTASTY DRAFT-01.jpg
    TTC FANTASTY DRAFT-01.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 1,370
  • TTC FANTASTY DRAFT.pdf
    469.7 KB · Views: 477
Hi all! Long time lurker here. I've finally got around to finishing up my fantasy map. Please let me know what you all think!

View attachment 162264

The idea of a downtown streetcar loop, King - Cherry - Queens Quay - Dufferin, sounds interesting.

Overall, the map is pretty reasonable and nicely sketched. Not much of a "fantasy" though; all lines are on TTC books.

There are several points to consider here:

1. Should the Yonge - Bay Express continue south of Queen, reaching King or Union.

That's certainly desirable, even if not shown on my map. But, the concerns are construction costs, disruption, and the water table issues.

One possible solution is to keep the Bay line relatively shallow, and thread it above the Queen Street's Relief Line. The PATH tunnels crossing Bay, in that case, could be closed during the construction, and later rebuilt to go above the subway structures.

2. Should the line go even further south, reaching Queen's Quay or Billy Bishop airport.

Such a plan would involve additional complications, and may be impractical after all. I read that the existing Bay Streetcar tunnel is at the same level as the YUS subway. Thus, the new Bay subway cannot reuse that tunnel. The new tunnel would have to go much deeper to get under Union Stn, and that certainly means going below the water table.

Plus, the Waterfront East LRT will be long in service before the Yonge Bay Express plan might see any progress. We will have a perfectly functional, upgraded streetcar tunnel south of Union, and that will reduce the incentive for extending the subway.

3. A St Clair interchange station.

Would be helpful for connectivity, but would necessitate a straight section of the line where it intersects St Clair. Given that the Yonge Express will not align with the street grid between Bay&Bloor and Yonge&Davisville, that additional requirement will make the design more difficult.

4. Distribution of the workload between the new Yonge - Bay Express and the "old" Yonge subway.

The new Express line will carry riders brought by all feeder routes running north of Eglinton. If the new line makes basically all stops except Summerhill and Rosedale, then there will be little incentive for those riders to transfer to the "old" line at Davisville. That means a risk of workload mismatch: the new Express is 75% or 80% as busy as a single Yonge line would be, while the shortened "old" line operates at under-50% capacity at all times.

I realize that an extra transfer means inconvenience, but I don't see another way to split the workload closer to 50%-50%, or at least 60%-40%, between the two closely running parallel lines, one of which is much longer than the other. (The only other solution is to extend both lines well north of Eglinton, but that would mean loads of money.)

That's another reason I didn't put stations at Wellesley or St Clair. At least, the transfer at Davisville would be same-platform.

Based off of recent discussion in the Relief Line North thread, I was inspired to create some fantasy lines on maps. Theme is around branching the Relief Line.

Option 1: Interline Sheppard Subway with Relief Line
Concept is straightforward. One branch uses the relatively inexpensive option of taking over the Richmond Hill GO corridor towards Langstaff. The second branch uses the Victoria Park corridor option for the Relief Line North as an opportunity to interline with the Sheppard Subway. Branches merge at Eglinton-Don Mills station, and actually intersects itself at Leslie Station on Sheppard.​
Interline_Sheppard.png

Option 2: Replace Scarborough Subway with Relief Line branch
Similar concept to the first, except the second branch of the Relief Line continues past Victoria Park all the way to Scarborough Town Centre (via Progress Avenue). The cost savings from cancelling the Scarborough Subway allows us to pay for the Relief Line branch.​
Interline_Scarb1.png

Interline_Scarb2.png

Based off of recent discussion in the Relief Line North thread, I was inspired to create some fantasy lines on maps. Theme is around branching the Relief Line.

Option 1: Interline Sheppard Subway with Relief Line
Concept is straightforward. One branch uses the relatively inexpensive option of taking over the Richmond Hill GO corridor towards Langstaff. The second branch uses the Victoria Park corridor option for the Relief Line North as an opportunity to interline with the Sheppard Subway. Branches merge at Eglinton-Don Mills station, and actually intersects itself at Leslie Station on Sheppard.​
View attachment 166552

Similar concept to the first, except the second branch of the Relief Line continues past Victoria Park all the way to Scarborough Town Centre (via Progress Avenue). The cost savings from cancelling the Scarborough Subway allows us to pay for the Relief Line branch.​
View attachment 166553
View attachment 166554
I think Toronto is sadly lagging in subway lines, and we would need both branches with more capacity. Once the Scarborough Branch hits the Don Valley - it may as well follow the valley all the way downtown.
Untitled.jpg

Similar concept to the first, except the second branch of the Relief Line continues past Victoria Park all the way to Scarborough Town Centre (via Progress Avenue). The cost savings from cancelling the Scarborough Subway allows us to pay for the Relief Line branch.
I definitely appreciate this idea. The line 2 extension is such a grotesque waste of money, it's really a shame any proposal using rail or hydro corridors to extend into Scarborough town centre were not chosen.

Back