News   Jun 25, 2024
 264     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 450     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 443     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Could forumers please avoid starting any more campaigns to change ongoing transit plans? Whoever gave SOS's back of the envelope plan for a Sheppard subway to Ford has done enough. If the province curtails the Eglinton line further, it's going to use that money to reduce the deficit, not anything else.

In case you guys missed it:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-its-credit-rating-is-at-risk/article2273335/

Moody's has us over a barrel there. The last thing we need is for the same circular firing squad that's braining everyone in Europe to come over here, so the province is going to be making stupid austerity noises for a few years until they stop looking at us.

I think this will come up again when closing the Scarborough RT closure comes up. There will be pressure to extend the Bloor-Danforth line to eliminate the need for 3 or 4 years of bussing. With probably 2 stations compared to about 10 on Eglinton, this option would be significant less expensive.
I like how the B-D gets extended via Danforth Road/McCowan, however, with this plan, the expansion of Yonge-Bloor station will have to begin sooner rather than later.

I like how the B-D gets extended via Danforth Road/McCowan, however, with this plan, the expansion of Yonge-Bloor station will have to begin sooner rather than later.

If the TTC favours a plan to expand Bloor-Yonge station over a plan for other rapid transit expansion in downtown I'm going to throw a shit-fit. It's the equivalent of just buying a fat guy bigger pants. It may solve the problem in the short term, but it doesn't really address the bigger problem.

If the TTC favours a plan to expand Bloor-Yonge station over a plan for other rapid transit expansion in downtown I'm going to throw a shit-fit. It's the equivalent of just buying a fat guy bigger pants. It may solve the problem in the short term, but it doesn't really address the bigger problem.
It is a short-sighted option if they do decide to expand Bloor-Yonge first before building some sort of second downtown line, but I have a feeling that might just happen; because as we all can estimate, B-Y expansion will more than likely cost less than a DRL. :rolleyes:

8SNnl.gif

The map alignment doesn't really serve that many people, and Castle Frank is a lousy interchange. But full marks for a station named "Red Light District".

The map alignment doesn't really serve that many people, and Castle Frank is a lousy interchange. But full marks for a station named "Red Light District".

It actually extends off the map passed Castle Frank to connect with the Richmond GO line, and terminate at Cosbourne to connect with the DRL. Would make for additional connections and routes through downtown and even after peak hours.

Oh wait ... you mean the Richmond Hill GO line ... I assumed you were talking about putting a station on Richmond somewhere.

Though I still don't know how you'd intercept the Richmond Hill GO line at Broadview. Broadview is west of the Don. As far as I know, the Richmond Hill GO line stays east of the Don.

It would have it's own dedicated station when the 2 lines intersect, although that's the only purpose such a station would end up serving, but at least people on that GO line can exit there instead and free up Union as well as more direct access to more places downtown. Cosbourne Station would do the same for the DRL travellers to get people to the Eaton Centre or Chinatown faster.

Very similar to the proposal I made in the DRTES thread. Interesting idea using Dundas. However, if it's acting as a relief line to B-Y, I don't think Dundas would be very effective. Too far north to serve the CBD.

Also, I would use Bathurst in the west instead of Spadina. To me Bathurst really marks the edge of downtown, and Spadina is too close to University. This subway line would do very well at being a demarkation of what is downtown and what isn't, especially in the west where there is no geographic feature that defines the edge of downtown, like the east has with the Don River.

And I think Castle Frank would make a great interchange. Low ridership station that has open space around it. It can be closed for a year and only a handful of people would actually care. Compare that to a station like Pape, where platform construction underneath would be extremely costly, and would be very disruptive, because the station would need to stay open. With Castle Frank, they would just need to still be able to have trains pass through it.

It's not just a relief for Bloor/Yonge, but extra areas that need mass transit too, and providing extra places to terminate at downtown. Ideally this would be in addition to a DRL, and Spadina was picked since you can transfer from both the BD and Spadina line to it from the same station. Unless you have a Bathurst route terminate at St. Clair West.

And I think Castle Frank would make a great interchange. Low ridership station that has open space around it.

That sword points both ways. A low ridership station is great for construction, yes, but it's also not a destination, which means you'll be running two subway lines somewhere few people want to go.

You also can't easily make it a destination after the fact, either. Castle Frank is hard to redevelop. You have two steep valleys, a graveyard, rich people mansions to the North, and existing high rises to the south.

I wouldn't mind seeing a future Parliament St streetcar line get a loop at Castle Frank, but I think running the DRL there would be a mistake.

Back