News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 542     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Any of you guys ever think of volunteering at the TTC to make their maps? Some of your designs are so much more functional than the official stuff.

Bored as usual:

Going for clean and simplicity like Melbourne's tram map.

Awesome map. Loving the simplicity, it works really well. It's so much more legible than the TTC's map.

The main thing I would change would be to add interchange dots for all the subway stations.

Last edited:
Bored as usual:

Going for clean and simplicity like Melbourne's tram map.

Excellent map! As others have suggested, I would add in the subway stations for simplicity sake. I would also maybe add in the actual subway lines in a faint grey, because a lot of people in their minds relate where the streetcar line is relative to where the closest subway line is. I suggest a faint grey so that it's visible, but that the focus of the map is still clearly on the streetcar routes (as it should be).

It's a nice map but why bother with a separate streetcar maps at all if there is no functional difference with buses? It's sort of the same reason I am opposed to the inclusion of the Eglinton LRT on the Subway network map, with its POP system and all.

"A contentious novelty contrived to relieve horse-jams".

FirstSubway.jpg

"A contentious novelty contrived to relieve horse-jams".

Hard to see an exact date on the map, although it looks like 1898 (hard to tell though). In any case, this wouldn't be too far off from the Chicago Elevated Loop proposal, which was from a similar era.

Also, as weird as that may look, let's not forget that we did end up building 3/4 of that loop :).

My comp had to be reformatted due to virus, and the website hosting my map got shut down, and version of Illustrator seems not to able to save or export file in Windows 7, so I looks like I can't reupload my map. :(

Here's my simple plan, as I just mentioned in the Eglinton Lrt thread. I just want to see money from the Eglinton project shifted to a Bloor-Danforth extension.

35me36h.jpg

Im not sure if this is the right thread for this, but what are your opinions on a possible extension of the Dundas streetcar all the way through the junction to the already existing Runnymead loop? i was up in the junction the other day, and thought this might be useful once the new streetcars come.

Here's my simple plan, as I just mentioned in the Eglinton Lrt thread. I just want to see money from the Eglinton project shifted to a Bloor-Danforth extension.

35me36h.jpg

I think this will come up again when closing the Scarborough RT closure comes up. There will be pressure to extend the Bloor-Danforth line to eliminate the need for 3 or 4 years of bussing. With probably 2 stations compared to about 10 on Eglinton, this option would be significant less expensive.

I think this will come up again when closing the Scarborough RT closure comes up. There will be pressure to extend the Bloor-Danforth line to eliminate the need for 3 or 4 years of bussing. With probably 2 stations compared to about 10 on Eglinton, this option would be significant less expensive.

Just using rough numbers, the Bloor-Danforth extension option would be about $500 million more expensive ($1.4 billion for SRT revamp vs $1.9 billion for subway extension).

One could make the argument that if Eglinton East was elevated instead of buried, you could some of that difference back.

The real question is how fast can you get the planning for the extension done? If you can manage to fit it into the current timeframe, then it may be feasible. If it's going to be an extra 5-10 years, forget about it.

Just using rough numbers, the Bloor-Danforth extension option would be about $500 million more expensive ($1.4 billion for SRT revamp vs $1.9 billion for subway extension).

One could make the argument that if Eglinton East was elevated instead of buried, you could some of that difference back.

The real question is how fast can you get the planning for the extension done? If you can manage to fit it into the current timeframe, then it may be feasible. If it's going to be an extra 5-10 years, forget about it.

Unfortunately, I do not think the planning could be done in time. I am not sure what amount of the $1.4B is for maintining transit during construction, but it is not insignificant. I hate to spend money on throw away items.

Unfortunately, I do not think the planning could be done in time. I am not sure what amount of the $1.4B is for maintining transit during construction, but it is not insignificant. I hate to spend money on throw away items.

I agree, but the reality is that either one of the two options is going to likely involve a significant amount of throw away money. With the SRT revamp, it's running bus service for 4 years. With the B-D extension option, it's running the SRT for an extra 4-5 years at least. The older those vehicles get, the greater amount of maintenance them and the tracks are going to require. The further into the future the construction goes, the greater those costs are going to be per year.

I'd still rather run the SRT into the ground until the Danforth extension opened, regardless of how long it took. It's only a two station extension. How long can it possibly take to build a new Lawrence East and Scarborough Centre?

Back