News   Jun 20, 2024
 414     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 607     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Interesting idea to have a multi-branched Queen LRT, it especially makes sense to branch Queensway/Lakeshore. Do you think the downtown stretch would have enough capacity as LRT though?

Hmm, good question, let's do the math on it. Let's assume the following pphpd for the 3 western branches:

3,000 pphpd for Lake Shore = 10 2-car LRT trains per hour (assuming 150 per car), so 1 train every 6 minutes.
2,000 pphpd for Queensway = 6.7 (round to 7) 2-car LRT trains per hour, so 1 train every 8.5 minutes.
10,000 pphpd for Parkside = 16.7 (round to 17) 4-car LRT trains per hour, so 1 train every 3.5 minutes.

This means a combined frequency of 1 train every 1 min 45 secs. It's somewhat of a tight frequency, but if the line is ATC in the tunnel section, it can be done. Also, you can run the line in such a way that the Lake Shore train pulls into the station first, immediately followed by the Queensway car, that way the whole platform can be used, and the headways can be increased between the Lake Shore/Queensway trains and the Parkside trains.

And the reason I used 4 car for the Parkside section is because it would be 100% grade-separated, so it wouldn't be bound by on-street limitations.

For the eastern section, I would probably run the 4-car trains all the way to Victoria Park, have the Lake Shore trains continue to the Beaches, and short turn the Queensway trains at Parliament for those who want to transfer from the DRL East to the Queen LRT. Maybe build the Queen LRT platform at the DRL as a 3-track station, that way the Queensway cars can turn around and reload without impacting the performance of the line (it can leave when it can be slotted in).

I wonder if running the Yonge Line further along the waterfront and up Roncesvalles as a DRLW might work better (with the LRT still running on Queen from Etobicoke). That way the Queen LRT would be less likely to have capacity problems and you could increase density and headways in Etobicoke. It might be a bit of a detour for DRLW, but it would be good for the Etobicoke riders.

The other alternative of course would be more similar to Transit City with the Lakeshore/Queensway LRT going more or less along the waterfront and the DRLW along Roncesvalles/Queen (or maybe King). However, that would mean the DRLW couldn't really be an extension of the Yonge line.

Any particular reason for running the LRT along Parkside instead of Roncesvalles btw? Roncesvalles would allow it to connect with Bloor GO.

I wonder if running the Yonge Line further along the waterfront and up Roncesvalles as a DRLW might work better (with the LRT still running on Queen from Etobicoke). That way the Queen LRT would be less likely to have capacity problems and you could increase density and headways in Etobicoke. It might be a bit of a detour for DRLW, but it would be good for the Etobicoke riders.

The way I figure it is that with 2 high frequency GO lines in operation by the time the Queen LRT opens, that the Queen LRT will be more of a supplemental and local line, with the GO line carrying the brunt of the load. The east is a bit different though. As for the Yonge line extension, if it were to be extended anywhere, I would prefer to see it up to Dufferin and Bloor, to take some pressure of the busiest bus route in the city.

Any particular reason for running the LRT along Parkside instead of Roncesvalles btw? Roncesvalles would allow it to connect with Bloor GO.

2 reasons:

1) Because it would be cheaper. By using Parkside, you can dig a cut and cover about 25 metres into High Park, and then cover it back up again when you're done.

2) Because it makes the interchange at Roncesvalles much less complicated. If it were to turn up Roncesvalles, the northbound branch couldn't actually stop at Roncesvalles because of the turning radius. By putting the split at Parkside, they can stay as a single line at Roncesvalles, simplifying the area. This is especially important because of the opportunity to put a GO station at Roncesvalles to create a transit node. A split at Roncesvalles would complicate that immensely.

It's unfortunate that they can't all meet at Dundas West, but I think that Keele would work pretty well too.

dunkalunk's map is wicked, affordable, and could satisfy toronto for generations with careful urban planning..

hi here is my map, please to constructive criticism. many thanks.

dRC1t.jpg

I love it.. Here's some points:

1) The Rexdale/Brampton circle line. Great idea! What a great way to link all the various south Asian communities together with the airport. We all know all Indians work at Pearson, now here's a great way to get them all there efficiently and easily.

2) I'm assuming the green line goes to Rochester? Screw the ferry, subway 'em!

3) I've always wanted to take the subway to Laskay, now I can.

4) Is the jog on the orange line because of ground water issues? I heard the TTC has trouble tunnelling when dealing with water tables. Sure Switzerland can tunnel under the Alps, but water tables.. Oh no!

5) Pink line is fittingly shaped like a ski run and terminates in Collingwood? Good idea.

6) My only criticism would be the purple line. Are you sure you can tunnel or elevate the subway through Rouge valley? It's protected land. You may have to dip the line a bit south before you take it across.

Borrowed some ideas from forum members' earlier posts.
All lines are either underground, trenched, elevated, or in existing ROW. The majority of Torontonians will be within 2km of a "subway/metro" station.

30v16r8.jpg

Line 1: RHC - Exhibition Place
Line 2: Sherway Gardens - Sheppard/McCowan (line 4)
Line 3: Vaughan Ctr - Union (line 1)
Line 4: Albion/Finch - Malvern
Line 5: Pearson Intl - Kennedy (line 2)
Line 6: Weston - Sheppard/Don Mills (line 4) *western leg uses ROW

Last edited:
Borrowed some ideas from forum members' earlier posts.
All lines are either underground, trenched, elevated, or in existing ROW. The majority of Torontonians will be within 2km of a "subway/metro" station.

Your map is a little similar to mine - especially with the routing of the Sheppard line up to Finch and then across to Humber College.

Here's mine -- I have a "Queen Line" - but it's essentially the street car at less "local" spacings. I would also imagine this Queen Line to be like Boston's Green Line. It would go underground at Roncesvalles and then pop back out at Pape and be "express" to the Beach and then follow it's normal routing to Neville Park. It would also use the ROW on the Queensway to Long branch - and then use it's routing "express like" to Long Branch.

I would probably re-think that Queen line - but after being in Boston I thought it out that way..

nothingModel1.png

Last edited:
Your map is a little similar to mine - especially with the routing of the Sheppard line up to Finch and then across to Humber College.
Since Finch West doesn't end at Weston Rd and does connect to the Rexdale area, it makes sense to switch the routing from Sheppard to Finch once past the Downsview area.

It would go underground at Roncesvalles and then pop back out at Pape and be "express" to the Beach and then follow it's normal routing to Neville Park.
Maybe the east and west downtowner routes can run through service via the Queen tunnels between Pape and Roncesvalles.

The combination of East Downtowner and Queen lines is likely to be much less effective as a DRL than a single line without an interchange.

Here's mine -- I have a "Queen Line" - but it's essentially the street car at less "local" spacings. I would also imagine this Queen Line to be like Boston's Green Line. It would go underground at Roncesvalles and then pop back out at Pape and be "express" to the Beach and then follow it's normal routing to Neville Park. It would also use the ROW on the Queensway to Long branch - and then use it's routing "express like" to Long Branch.

I would probably re-think that Queen line - but after being in Boston I thought it out that way..

nothingModel1.png

Can you make you make it biggger? Very nice!!

Interesting map, but the "Downtowners" need to be interlined with Queen for better results (as stated by others).

Two other things...
1. Many will still need to transfer to the YUS to get right downtown (this doesn't address that)
2. Union Station #2 is likely to be built somewhere west of CityPlace. This doesn't address that either.

Love all the maps going up. Thought I'd throw an updated version of mine...

Click on the map for a full-size version

The map uses Subway, LRT and BRT, with the DRL as a new backbone to the system. The result is a much larger network that shortens the LRT and BRT routes so they can feed into the subway network, and lessens the amount of transfers required for most trips.

The dotted lines are non-brt extensions/branches of the BRT lines that act more or less as normal local buses, in order to avoid a transfer.

BRT in this case would be centre-of-the-road ROW with signal priority and articulated buses.

The only real funding stretch here in my opinion would be the DRL (and maybe Sheppard to Downsview), but most of us seem to agree that the DRL is one of the most needed lines. It would be a modern fully-automated metro, underground downtown, and possibly elevated on Don Mills and/or Dixon closer to the airport.

Love all the maps going up. Thought I'd throw an updated version of mine...

Click on the map for a full-size version

The map uses Subway, LRT and BRT, with the DRL as a new backbone to the system. The result is a much larger network that shortens the LRT and BRT routes so they can feed into the subway network, and lessens the amount of transfers required for most trips.

The dotted lines are non-brt extensions/branches of the BRT lines that act more or less as normal local buses, in order to avoid a transfer.

BRT in this case would be centre-of-the-road ROW with signal priority and articulated buses.

The only real funding stretch here in my opinion would be the DRL (and maybe Sheppard to Downsview), but most of us seem to agree that the DRL is one of the most needed lines. It would be a modern fully-automated metro, underground downtown, and possibly elevated on Don Mills and/or Dixon closer to the airport.

I think if you're going to make a "fantasy map" you should fantasize a little more. In particular, if you're going to extend Sheppard west, at least extend it to Vic Park.

I'd probably add the Yonge RHC extension too.

Back