News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 540     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

{why the TTC is spending over billion to replace a functioning system is beyond me} Put the heating mechanisms in with expanded stations and make the track useable for MK11

Obviously you don't pay much attention to projects in Toronto, because the reasons have been clearly stated both here and by the TTC. We can't just magically "make the track usable for MKII" trains by swapping some parts or something. It requires a complete reallignment in two places, both of which have space constraints. As well, the TTC already has LRVs on order from the Transit City plan, and changing those to proprietary and unreliable ICTS vehicles would not be worth the trouble.

Very reasonable map. I do however find the two 90 degree curves that the DRL makes in downtown to be nearly impossible to build, if nothing else for the turning radius of the trains.

Also, if you're doing the DRL from Eglinton in the west to Don Mills in the east, you'd be better off doing the Jane and Don Mills lines as BRTs instead of LRTs. I don't think the ridership on either of those corridors would justify LRT, and it would also allow you to run VIVA routes down to Don Mills station, as opposed to forcing another transfer.

Overall a good map though.

what about mine gweed? take a look? :)

The connecting the subways at both ends in the east and west looks nice on a map, but in reality those outer sections would be huge money losers. There's nothing east of STC or west of Downsview along Sheppard that comes even close to subway level demand.

It would work much better if you ended both Sheppard and Eglinton at STC, and then ran BRT or LRT spokes out from there, as it would be much more tailored to the demand in the area.

I do agree that Eglinton should definitely go to the Airport, but having it end in Malvern is a bit of a curious choice, especially considering it completely bypasses STC.

Overall though it's a decent map, some outside the box ideas on there.

The connecting the subways at both ends in the east and west looks nice on a map, but in reality those outer sections would be huge money losers. There's nothing east of STC or west of Downsview along Sheppard that comes even close to subway level demand.

It would work much better if you ended both Sheppard and Eglinton at STC, and then ran BRT or LRT spokes out from there, as it would be much more tailored to the demand in the area.

I do agree that Eglinton should definitely go to the Airport, but having it end in Malvern is a bit of a curious choice, especially considering it completely bypasses STC.

Overall though it's a decent map, some outside the box ideas on there.

Thanks. Will conside for my next map.

Hello Fellows, I've created a new map myself which includes some things which have not been considered in other maps.

thumbnailtofantast.png

See the Google Map Here

First, is the Browns Line BRT. The route would start at the Renforth Gateway Mobility Hub (Renforth and Eglinton) and end at the Long Branch GO station with stops at major overpasses. The busway would have dedicated should lanes on 427 similar to those found on the outer sections of the Ottawa Transitway.

When the route travels on the short section of Browns Line, signal priority and queue-jump lanes could be installed to ensure that buses maintain a decent speed.

A dedicated ramp could also be built between Browns Line and Long Branch beside the rail corridor to prevent delays caused by left turns. A mirror image of this ramp setup already exists at the ramps by Eglinton and Renforth.

Another thing that I see missing is the Lakeshore LRT. If the Gardiner is ever going to be demolished through downtown, then a quick, dedicated LRT with signal priority will need to be build to take a bunch of the local traffic off of Lakeshore. Without frequent rail service (GO) Rapid Transit line (DRL) and a local line (Lakeshore LRT and other improved streetcar service) along this corridor, Lakeshore Boulevard would not be able to accomodate the additional traffic dumped onto it during peak.

In places where the LRT cannot run in a dedicated corridor due to space restrictions (Queen East, LSB West), lights could be timed to favour advanced greens for the direction the streetcar is travelling to ensure that a streetcar is not blocked by left turning vehicles.

It would also be quite pragmatic to extend the existing 501 streetcar west to Port Credit to hook up with the Hurontario-Main LRT.

My map also differs from other peoples maps (except Doady's) in that the Airport Skytrain is separate from the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and any lines on Finch. The airport has quite different travel patterns and needs than a street and tunnel-runnning urban LRT, and not all people need to go to the airport. It would then make sense just to keep the Eglinton Crosstown LRT on Eglinton/403 until it hits Square One instead of splitting the line or forcing a transfer for those people going crosstown. If people are looking to get the airport transfer-free then they should be taking the Union-Pearson rail link or be renting a limo.

Hello Fellows, I've created a new map myself which includes some things which have not been considered in other maps.

thumbnailtofantast.png

See the Google Map Here

First, is the Browns Line BRT. The route would start at the Renforth Gateway Mobility Hub (Renforth and Eglinton) and end at the Long Branch GO station with stops at major overpasses. The busway would have dedicated should lanes on 427 similar to those found on the outer sections of the Ottawa Transitway.

When the route travels on the short section of Browns Line, signal priority and queue-jump lanes could be installed to ensure that buses maintain a decent speed.

A dedicated ramp could also be built between Browns Line and Long Branch beside the rail corridor to prevent delays caused by left turns. A mirror image of this ramp setup already exists at the ramps by Eglinton and Renforth.

Another thing that I see missing is the Lakeshore LRT. If the Gardiner is ever going to be demolished through downtown, then a quick, dedicated LRT with signal priority will need to be build to take a bunch of the local traffic off of Lakeshore. Without frequent rail service (GO) Rapid Transit line (DRL) and a local line (Lakeshore LRT and other improved streetcar service) along this corridor, Lakeshore Boulevard would not be able to accomodate the additional traffic dumped onto it during peak.

In places where the LRT cannot run in a dedicated corridor due to space restrictions (Queen East, LSB West), lights could be timed to favour advanced greens for the direction the streetcar is travelling to ensure that a streetcar is not blocked by left turning vehicles.

It would also be quite pragmatic to extend the existing 501 streetcar west to Port Credit to hook up with the Hurontario-Main LRT.

My map also differs from other peoples maps (except Doady's) in that the Airport Skytrain is separate from the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and any lines on Finch. The airport has quite different travel patterns and needs than a street and tunnel-runnning urban LRT, and not all people need to go to the airport. It would then make sense just to keep the Eglinton Crosstown LRT on Eglinton/403 until it hits Square One instead of splitting the line or forcing a transfer for those people going crosstown. If people are looking to get the airport transfer-free then they should be taking the Union-Pearson rail link or be renting a limo.

A very reasonable map, I like it.

A few comments/suggestions:

1) With the DRL under Queen, why not combine the Lakeshore LRT and DRL into 1 4-track tunnel? Seems to me like that would be less expensive than building two completely separate ROWs, especially given the low demand for LRT along Lakeshore between High Park and the Ex.

2) I like the Airport Skytrain idea as a separate line from the Eglinton LRT. I hadn't considered that before. Although I would probably move the connection point to Martin Grove, so that it lines up with the Browns Line BRT as well.

3) I like the idea of the Browns Line BRT. I would probably even go 1 step further and extend it north of the 401 using shoulder lanes on Highway 27 up to Humber College. Given that it intersects with 3 different E-W lines along the way, it could be a pretty significant N-S semi-express route.

4) Nothing on Finch or in the FHC? Seems to me like there's a pretty big gap in the north end of the city.

5) I think the Eglinton LRT is the preferred connection method to MCC. One of the things I have done on my maps is I have interlined it with the Hurontario LRT from MCC to Cooksville GO, because that stretch will be the heaviest used portion on Hurontario, plus it would create a transferless connection to GO there.

Overall though, a nice clean and simple map, well done.

A very reasonable map, I like it.

A few comments/suggestions:

1) With the DRL under Queen, why not combine the Lakeshore LRT and DRL into 1 4-track tunnel? Seems to me like that would be less expensive than building two completely separate ROWs, especially given the low demand for LRT along Lakeshore between High Park and the Ex.

My DRL routing is mostly under King, Wellington, Front and Mill. Besides, the LRT would be at-grade and would use already-existing corridors like Queens Quay and Bremner, both designed for dedicated streetcar service. The King and Queen Streetcars also wont be going anywhere, ensuring that there will be enough local coverage.

With all of he development going up along the lakeshore and in the docklands, I see no reason why Lakeshore Streetcars won't be full, especially when they have a direct connection to the DRL. If this isn't the case, then there is no reason that some of the streetcars that would otherwise go along the Lakeshore can't stay on Queen.

2) I like the Airport Skytrain idea as a separate line from the Eglinton LRT. I hadn't considered that before. Although I would probably move the connection point to Martin Grove, so that it lines up with the Browns Line BRT as well.

It's at Renforth for a reason. Once a terminal is built there, it will become a new focal point for transfers between 3 local transit systems, the airport, and most importantly GO. GO buses will need to get on and off the highway quickly and building a terminal here is a great way to facilitate transfers from GO to other agencies. Renforth Gateway is also identified as a mobility hub in Metrolinx's plan.

3) I like the idea of the Browns Line BRT. I would probably even go 1 step further and extend it north of the 401 using shoulder lanes on Highway 27 up to Humber College. Given that it intersects with 3 different E-W lines along the way, it could be a pretty significant N-S semi-express route.

The great thing about BRT infrastucture is that it can easily be built in stages and expanded and that multiple routes can use one ROW with bus bays at stations. I just put the routing on there as a start.

4) Nothing on Finch or in the FHC? Seems to me like there's a pretty big gap in the north end of the city.

To be honest, I don't know that area of town that well and didn't really feel comfortable choosing just one street worthy of higher-order transit. Fill it in to your imagination. I'm envisioning another better-bus alternative like on Browns Line.

5) I think the Eglinton LRT is the preferred connection method to MCC. One of the things I have done on my maps is I have interlined it with the Hurontario LRT from MCC to Cooksville GO, because that stretch will be the heaviest used portion on Hurontario, plus it would create a transferless connection to GO there.

Point.

Overall though, a nice clean and simple map, well done.

Thanks!

My DRL routing is mostly under King, Wellington, Front and Mill. Besides, the LRT would be at-grade and would use already-existing corridors like Queens Quay and Bremner, both designed for dedicated streetcar service. The King and Queen Streetcars also wont be going anywhere, ensuring that there will be enough local coverage.

With all of he development going up along the lakeshore and in the docklands, I see no reason why Lakeshore Streetcars won't be full, especially when they have a direct connection to the DRL. If this isn't the case, then there is no reason that some of the streetcars that would otherwise go along the Lakeshore can't stay on Queen.

I can see that. My main worry with Queen is that with the subway underneath, the local service will become under-used, and as a result, very infrequent. My other worry is that a DRL along Queen without and express/local combination will result in a line that is neither express, nor does a very good job of catering to local demand.

It's at Renforth for a reason. Once a terminal is built there, it will become a new focal point for transfers between 3 local transit systems, the airport, and most importantly GO. GO buses will need to get on and off the highway quickly and building a terminal here is a great way to facilitate transfers from GO to other agencies. Renforth Gateway is also identified as a mobility hub in Metrolinx's plan.

Fair enough. Does the Brown's Line BRT connect to the Renforth Gateway? It's a bit hard to tell from the small map. If it does, great. If it doesn't, it probably should. I think a hub in that general area is very much needed. The more lines we can have feeding into there, the better.

The great thing about BRT infrastucture is that it can easily be built in stages and expanded and that multiple routes can use one ROW with bus bays at stations. I just put the routing on there as a start.

You're preaching to the choir, haha.

To be honest, I don't know that area of town that well and didn't really feel comfortable choosing just one street worthy of higher-order transit. Fill it in to your imagination. I'm envisioning another better-bus alternative like on Browns Line.

What I'm going with is a curbside lane BRT service on Finch proper, with an express service in the FHC. I also have that service continuing further west and dipping south in the hydro corridor to what on your map would be the Renforth Hub (even more to your point above).

While not necessarily a fantasy map, I might use this simplistic design later on in one. I would've put more (if i had the time :p) but I just wanted some feedback on it. (anything I might need to add/adjust, etc.) What do you think?

Side note: Because this is only a small example I had to use (believe it or not) Microsoft Powerpoint ;) to make this but once I get Photoshop up and running I'll transfer it to there.

While not necessarily a fantasy map, I might use this simplistic design later on in one. I would've put more (if i had the time :p) but I just wanted some feedback on it. (anything I might need to add/adjust, etc.) What do you think?

Side note: Because this is only a small example I had to use (believe it or not) Microsoft Powerpoint ;) to make this but once I get Photoshop up and running I'll transfer it to there.

Graphics look good. I especially like the dual colour inside of the transfer circle. Only thing I would change is the font. It's a very thin font, and it's kinda hard to read even when it's blown up like that. On a full map reading that would be next to impossible.

Also, I'm trying to envision in my head where that is a map of, because the station names relative to eachother make no sense :p.

Yeah I was going to say...how'd Bay end up on the east side of Yonge, and Queen turn into a north-south street??? Other than that, pretty good!

Well I had intended it to be an example for the design; I just put in random station names to see what the font looked like...
Lol :p

Back