News   Jul 15, 2024
 308     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 444     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

Now why don't you funnel all of the complaints you people keep making on this site to Giambrone, TTC, and Metrolinx? Complaining here does not do anything.

Last edited:
Not the only option. The right option for this corridor. There are a few people that believe every corridor should be subway, but there's a vast majority of people that realize different corridors have different needs. And Sheppard is one of those corridors that need subway.

It is more like they want a subway where they live, and the rest can go without any rapid transit. At least with this plan, more people will have access to rapid transit than without. And it is only the first step.

People are acting as though the Sheppard East LRT will remain an LRT forever. I am very sure the future mayor (whether it be Smitherman, Tory, Thompson, or Rossi) would upgrade the LRT a.s.a.p.

I think it's the way some people are raised. Daddy, I want a subway to my front door, and I want it now!

It will an LRT for a while boys and girls!! ;)

Again, for those who do not like the Sheppard East LRT project, where is the flood of emails, letters, and phone calls to the City of Toronto, TTC, and Metrolinx?

It is more like they want a subway where they live, and the rest can go without any rapid transit. At least with this plan, more people will have access to rapid transit than without. And it is only the first step.

This is not necessarily true. In some cases, a shorter but strategically placed subway line might benefit more people than a longer LRT line.

Sheppard East LRT will benefit those who live near Sheppard East, but not those who live near Finch, Ellesmere, Steeles ... because it won't make sense for them to transfer to LRT.

If they extended the subway to Agincourt at least, then several bus routes could operate off that station.

The eastern portion of Sheppard LRT is a done deal, but there is a small chance to upgrade its western portion to subway.

If that fails and Sheppard LRT goes all way to Don Mills, then it won't be upgraded to subway for many decades, and probably forever. It does not make sense to rip the street apart and build LRT, then rip it up again and build subway. If at all, Sheppard East subway extension could take the form of 401 express rail line, rather than subway under the street.

Last edited:
I agree if this gets built, there won't be funding for a Sheppard Subway extension for a long time to come. That's why I'd rather wait and get it done properly. And the underground part they're building anyway? Why not just make it subway???

The 2010 City of Toronto Elections kick off in about 2 weeks so I guess at that time you would probably start running out and encouraging all mayoral candidates to complete the Sheppard Subway

Last edited:
The 2010 City of Toronto Elections kick off in about 2 weeks so I guess at that time you would probably start running out and encouraging all mayoral candidates to complete the Sheppard Subway

But in a municipal election, what is good for the entire city should be looked at instead of what is good for a small slice of it. TC provides a plan that encompasses a large area, whereas building the rest of the stubway seems to be more scarborough-centric. The populous in Etobicoke may not support this, possibly making supporting a Sheppard extension instead of LRT campaign suicide.

But in a municipal election, what is good for the entire city should be looked at instead of what is good for a small slice of it. TC provides a plan that encompasses a large area, whereas building the rest of the stubway seems to be more scarborough-centric. The populous in Etobicoke may not support this, possibly making supporting a Sheppard extension instead of LRT campaign suicide.

Who said ditching ALL of TC for JUST finishing Sheppard? That would be a ridiculous position.

They can keep the Finch LRT. But they should finish the subway at least to Agincourt so the LRT can continue east from there, whereas they can finish the subway south to STC later. They should commit to the DRL as being the single most important public transit project in the history of Toronto since YUS and B-D were built. They should also kill off the SRT and finish the subway to STC. That alone would go a long way.

Back