News   Jul 15, 2024
 313     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 453     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

It is more like they want a subway where they live, and the rest can go without any rapid transit. At least with this plan, more people will have access to rapid transit than without. And it is only the first step.
That's only if you believe LRTs as currently planned qualify as rapid transit.

And first step to what? To whatever Toronto will be building two generations from now when most of us will either be gone or eating through a straw?

People are acting as though the Sheppard East LRT will remain an LRT forever.
It's not acting, it's an honest and correct reaction. Unless this Zoo LRT miraculously gets canceled, a Sheppard subway east of Don Mills is, to paraphrase Neville Chamberlain, dead in our time.

I hope in the near future they construct a spur line of the SELRT that goes south from the Agincourt GO station to Scarborough Town Center. I also hope they extend the Sheppard Subway west to Downsview, making it a little easier to get to York U. for a lot of transit users.

To save the transfer they could have also continued the subway tracks in the ROW and run the same subway train down the street.

I hope in 10 years when the EGLINTON LRT is completed and enough of the politicians and big people behind the sheppard subway are long gone people will see that the Sheppard Subway stump as it is makes no sense and that is should be converted to LRT and extended not only to Downsview but all the way to weston Road.. Basically another cross town route.... eliminating transfers

I swear, people have been posting the same four or five tired thoughts here for months or years. This project is funded and under way. The election is next fall. Ontario has a vast deficit. The only cancelling of projects I can imagine at this stage is the Mike Harris kind - fill in the holes (or use them for trenches in a new culture war) and take one of the few remaining buses.

Replacing approved projects with more expensive ones right now is about as likely as the Pope starring in the next John Waters musical.

People are acting as though the Sheppard East LRT will remain an LRT forever. I am very sure the future mayor (whether it be Smitherman, Tory, Thompson, or Rossi) would upgrade the LRT a.s.a.p.

They are more likely to downgrade the Sheppard subway than upgrade the LRT.

What is the station spacing for this line? If it's close like Melbourne's 86 tram, much better zoning needs to be accomodated unlike that terrible line. It should be noted that Melbourne LRT network is the largest in the world and dispite that, ridership is not impressive.

I've seen exurbanites get irritated with the slow and unappealing ride on the line. Much of the line goes through unappealing areas and the car is much quicker option on this corridor. The ride isn't that comfortable eitherl. To be honest, I can see the same for a Torontonian population who are used to more reliable service. For that reason, Sheppard needs to be developed into a "go to" area for the immediate population.

This corridor needs to be a complete downtown, with offices and shops that rival large malls in terms of diversity. GO Transit should be developed for long distance travel. Skyscrapers aren't neccessary, but the density needs to go up beyond Sheppard. Agincourt Mall, Canadian tire, Dragon Centre area, and the numerous plazas within the corridor are potential spots.

The immediate area around GO Agincourt, Oriole needs to be zoned as proposed in GO's 2020 plan. I have read that Unionville is going to be developed into an urban area. If that is going to be done, this needs to join development in Agincourt and Miliken as well. I think a Kennedy LRT first extending north to Unionville & Kennedy and then south of Kennedy & Eglinton. This NS corridor would have a lot of potential, seeing that it has a pretty decent density, and could join the development along the Eglinton corridor.

To save the transfer they could have also continued the subway tracks in the ROW and run the same subway train down the street.

With that live high-voltage rail positioned 1 m above the ground? It will be totally impossible for pedestrians or vehicles to cross Sheppard at level.

It only works on Allen Rd as there are no pedestrian crossings or level intersections.

For Sheppard, they would need different rolling stock, with overhead power collection, and that means a bunch of compatibility problems.

I hope in 10 years when the EGLINTON LRT is completed and enough of the politicians and big people behind the sheppard subway are long gone people will see that the Sheppard Subway stump as it is makes no sense and that is should be converted to LRT and extended not only to Downsview but all the way to weston Road.. Basically another cross town route.... eliminating transfers

The cost of subway-to-LRT conversion has been estimated at $670 million by Metrolinx. For that kind of money, one can build 2 - 2.5 km of new subway, or the whole new LRT line.

Regarding the extension towards Downsview, it should be noted that half of it would have to be underground anyway. Sheppard west of Yonge and up to Don West river is too narrow to host surface LRT.

The cost of subway-to-LRT conversion has been estimated at $670 million by Metrolinx. For that kind of money, one can build 2 - 2.5 km of new subway, or the whole new LRT line.

Regarding the extension towards Downsview, it should be noted that half of it would have to be underground anyway. Sheppard west of Yonge and up to Don West river is too narrow to host surface LRT.

Well, once the LRT line is built, the conversion cost drops, since the conversion cost includes the approach tunnel which will have already been built for the LRT - Subway transfer. You still need to change the platform heights, or the trackbed height (if that would work at all) plus signalling, traction power etc.

The Sheppard Subway will not be downgraded (unless you people vote for a Miller/Giambrone type). The current Sheppard Subway will remain and the LRT will be upgraded to provide a continuous route between North York and Scarborough Centres in the future

Since Sheppard was never really regarded as a high priority route to begin with (certainly not priority enough to get its own subway line) it's likely that there will be no movement on anything related to transit in this corridor - upgrade or downgrade - for a good long while.

The Sheppard LRT is being built as an effort to 'finish the job'. It's a political checkmark, after which planning can move on.

Since Sheppard was never really regarded as a high priority route to begin with (certainly not priority enough to get its own subway line) it's likely that there will be no movement on anything related to transit in this corridor - upgrade or downgrade - for a good long while.

Agreed. I'd rather we move on to other issues then spend any more time on this corridor.

Back