News   Jul 15, 2024
 219     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 520     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     1 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

The TTC is advertising it as Rapid Transit. If York wanted to just have pretty BRT lanes, they could have made them tiny to squeeze in an extra lane of traffic per direction, but they didn't. The stops are totally comparable in spacing to the B-D, and the ROW's more than large enough to run busses quite fast. If the TTC wanted to put this work into TC, they could have. But they sacrificed the speed of a LRT to a half commitment, strung up on the idea that LRT should look nice before actually going fast.

Why is no one criticizing York Region for calling their current Viva service rapid transit?

What BRT is going to be slower than Sheppard East?? I sorely doubt that Viva will be slower. Viva is being built for speed. SELRT is being built for prettiness.

VIVA should be somewhat faster, as it has wider stop spacing:
Finch to Steeles - 2 km
RHC to Bayview - 2 km
RHC to York U - 10 km and 4 stops (5 intervals), again 2 km per stop

Ran into an article about this insane insanity...

Sorry if it has already been posted.

It is so dumb that they do not do the subway option... man, if only citizens would protest, block off the construction projects, cause unrest, whatever, riots be it (well, maybe not riots), I don't care, just that there comes a subway rather than this dumb lrt which would only clog up the streets.... ARGH.
This project makes me so depressed.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/ttc/article/741499--work-begins-on-sheppard-lrt

Work begins on Sheppard LRT

Published On Mon Dec 21 2009

Construction officially began Monday on a new light rapid vehicle line that will run east from the Don Mills subway station along Sheppard Ave. E.

Originally planned to be a subway along Sheppard to the Scarborough Town Centre, the new 14-kilometre light rapid vehicle route will extend to Meadowvale Rd.

"With this light rail transit (LRT) line, you'll have rapid, reliable transit to the subway and downtown," TTC chair Adam Giambrone said at Monday morning's official groundbreaking ceremony.

Sheppard is the first of seven Transit City light rapid vehicle lines planned to create a 120-kilometre network on major routes like Finch Ave., Eglinton Ave., Jane St. and Don Mills Rd.

Two thirds of the $950-million Sheppard East light rapid vehicle line is being funded by the province, and one third by the federal government. The Toronto Transit Commission will operate it when it opens in 2013, and expects it to move 20 million riders a year.

The line will help rejuvenate Sheppard Ave., Giambrone said.

"The LRT acts as a catalyst," he said. "We've already heard of people buying up property. You're going to see both residential and commercial development. It's an exciting opportunity to actually redevelop a neighbourhood."

Development charges levied by the city on the new developments along the route will help pay for new civic amenities such as community centres and libraries, he added.

While the line will require an operating subsidy from taxpayers, it won't be quite as labour intensive as buses, because one TTC operator can move 300 passengers versus 75 riders on a bus, Giambrone said.

Transit City is bringing mobility to the people, said Mayor David Miller.

"From my perspective, the great thing is it allows everyone to live in the city," he said. "It doesn't matter your income level, you'll have rapid transit in your neighbourhood."

Miller, who was a city councillor when the Sheppard subway was approved in the 1990s, said he regrets transit development hasn't happened sooner.

"The sad thing I think is these kinds of projects should have happened 20 years ago," Miller said. "The thing I'm proud of is they're happening now."

Still, it's disappointing it wasn't a subway, which was killed for cost reasons, said Councillor Mike Del Grande (Ward 39, Scarborough-Agincourt).

Light rapid vehicle lines are a lot cheaper: The 14-kilometre Sheppard East line will cost about the same to build as the 6.2-kilometre Sheppard subway.

"It's second best for Scarborough," Del Grande said. "Scarborough wanted a subway and we were told we weren't going to get a subway, and if we didn't take this, it would go elsewhere. I think some improvement is better than no improvement, is what it boils down to."

Transit City needs to be built, and the sooner the better, said Michael Roschlau, president of the Canadian Urban Transit

"The suburbs are underserved by transit," Roschlau said. "All the lines are important and all the lines need to be built."

It is so dumb that they do not do the subway option... man, if only citizens would protest, block off the construction projects, cause unrest, whatever, riots be it (well, maybe not riots), I don't care, just that there comes a subway rather than this dumb lrt which would only clog up the streets.... ARGH. This project makes me so depressed.

I live in the Sheppard and Morningside area and I can tell you that most of the people in this part of the city do not know or even care about the project. The people up here are not very vocal and just accept whatever is handed to them. That is why 'quiet' Councillor Raymond Cho keeps winning elections and has been representing Ward #42 since 1991.

Without digging for additional information, many were immediately sold on the LRT project as soon as TTC and Councillor Giambrone said it would be faster than the #85 Sheppard East Bus.

Last edited:
Ran into an article about this insane insanity...

Sorry if it has already been posted.

It is so dumb that they do not do the subway option... man, if only citizens would protest, block off the construction projects, cause unrest, whatever, riots be it (well, maybe not riots), I don't care, just that there comes a subway rather than this dumb lrt which would only clog up the streets.... ARGH.
This project makes me so depressed.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/ttc/article/741499--work-begins-on-sheppard-lrt

Work begins on Sheppard LRT

Published On Mon Dec 21 2009

Construction officially began Monday on a new light rapid vehicle line that will run east from the Don Mills subway station along Sheppard Ave. E.

Originally planned to be a subway along Sheppard to the Scarborough Town Centre, the new 14-kilometre light rapid vehicle route will extend to Meadowvale Rd.

"With this light rail transit (LRT) line, you'll have rapid, reliable transit to the subway and downtown," TTC chair Adam Giambrone said at Monday morning's official groundbreaking ceremony.

Sheppard is the first of seven Transit City light rapid vehicle lines planned to create a 120-kilometre network on major routes like Finch Ave., Eglinton Ave., Jane St. and Don Mills Rd.

Two thirds of the $950-million Sheppard East light rapid vehicle line is being funded by the province, and one third by the federal government. The Toronto Transit Commission will operate it when it opens in 2013, and expects it to move 20 million riders a year.

The line will help rejuvenate Sheppard Ave., Giambrone said.

"The LRT acts as a catalyst," he said. "We've already heard of people buying up property. You're going to see both residential and commercial development. It's an exciting opportunity to actually redevelop a neighbourhood."

Development charges levied by the city on the new developments along the route will help pay for new civic amenities such as community centres and libraries, he added.

While the line will require an operating subsidy from taxpayers, it won't be quite as labour intensive as buses, because one TTC operator can move 300 passengers versus 75 riders on a bus, Giambrone said.

Transit City is bringing mobility to the people, said Mayor David Miller.

"From my perspective, the great thing is it allows everyone to live in the city," he said. "It doesn't matter your income level, you'll have rapid transit in your neighbourhood."

Miller, who was a city councillor when the Sheppard subway was approved in the 1990s, said he regrets transit development hasn't happened sooner.

"The sad thing I think is these kinds of projects should have happened 20 years ago," Miller said. "The thing I'm proud of is they're happening now."

Still, it's disappointing it wasn't a subway, which was killed for cost reasons, said Councillor Mike Del Grande (Ward 39, Scarborough-Agincourt).

Light rapid vehicle lines are a lot cheaper: The 14-kilometre Sheppard East line will cost about the same to build as the 6.2-kilometre Sheppard subway.

"It's second best for Scarborough," Del Grande said. "Scarborough wanted a subway and we were told we weren't going to get a subway, and if we didn't take this, it would go elsewhere. I think some improvement is better than no improvement, is what it boils down to."

Transit City needs to be built, and the sooner the better, said Michael Roschlau, president of the Canadian Urban Transit

"The suburbs are underserved by transit," Roschlau said. "All the lines are important and all the lines need to be built."

I think it's a matter of context, I'll take the LRT on Sheppard East thank you very much (even if it's not my favourite solution).
The real important subway items should be IMO...
1. DRL Subway Line
2. Eglinton Subway (to YYZ)
3. Extend the B-D Line to SCC
4. Extend Sheppard Line west to Downsview station

Most of the complaints regarding the Sheppard East LRT are coming from UT posters who do not even use the transit corridor. Many people who use the Sheppard East transit corridor echo what yyzhyd posted above...'it is not a subway but we'll take it'!

Last edited:
Most of the complaints regarding the Sheppard East LRT are coming from UT posters who do not even use the transit corridor. Many people who use the Sheppard East transit corridor echo what yyzhyd posted above...'it is not a subway but we'll take it'!
There are tonnes of people who are angry about this, and I don't think there are enough people registered on UT to account for all of them.

And if you remember back to when TC was first proposed, they were given with two options: LRT, or no improvements at all. Even though a subway would be only marginally more expensive, it wasn't even an option. So obviously they're going to jump on the opportunity. And if they complain about it, they're afraid they'll be seen as ungrateful little devils.

LRT is being praised as the only solution to transit in the city. People need to know that there's more than just one option they can ask for.

Yes it is an alternative but of course the pro-subway crowd would have presented that alternative as 'the only option' as well. We cannot afford a subway so let's appreciate the LRT for now.

Sheppard East will be an LRT from Don Mills to Meadowvale and will not be upgraded to a subwat until the end of the next decade.

Last edited:
Yes it is an alternative but of course the pro-subway crowd would have presented that alternative as the only option as well
Not the only option. The right option for this corridor. There are a few people that believe every corridor should be subway, but there's a vast majority of people that realize different corridors have different needs. And Sheppard is one of those corridors that need subway.

The TTC is advertising it as Rapid Transit. If York wanted to just have pretty BRT lanes, they could have made them tiny to squeeze in an extra lane of traffic per direction, but they didn't. The stops are totally comparable in spacing to the B-D, and the ROW's more than large enough to run busses quite fast. If the TTC wanted to put this work into TC, they could have. But they sacrificed the speed of a LRT to a half commitment, strung up on the idea that LRT should look nice before actually going fast.

You really can't compare sheppard to Hi-way 7 ... they're completely different streets and they're not built the same way.

Please elaborate on the width of the LRT? What's the difference how wide it is.
The spacing is a whole different matter - what's the spacing on Sheppard anyway ... it's fairly wide apart no? 800m or so? Viva isn't changing it's spacing, it's continuing to operate the way it does today.

Another little quibble, a subway is only 'marginally' more ... right, okay, the points you're making are quite valid and in many ways I agree, don't ruin that by making preposterous claims.

If I may quote one Mr Grtiffiths, the Sheppard Subway took 20 years to go from proposal to half-completion. At that speed, maybe your great grandchildren would see the subway completed. Sheppard LRT is going to bring real benefit to the locals within 5 years. If you think protesting against it in the streets will make things better you need a reality check.

If I may quote one Mr Grtiffiths, the Sheppard Subway took 20 years to go from proposal to half-completion. At that speed, maybe your great grandchildren would see the subway completed. Sheppard LRT is going to bring real benefit to the locals within 5 years. If you think protesting against it in the streets will make things better you need a reality check.

How is it going to benifit those who use to take the 190 to STC...
They will get rid of the express and people will get an extra transfer at McCowan

Back