News   Jul 15, 2024
 437     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 569     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

According to Adam Giambrone's Facebook status, there will be a Transit City-related announcement made at Agincourt GO Station at 9:30 on Monday morning. I figured this will probably be related to the SELRT.

According to Adam Giambrone's Facebook status, there will be a Transit City-related announcement made at Agincourt GO Station at 9:30 on Monday morning. I figured this will probably be related to the SELRT.

Winter starts on December 21st at 12:47 P.M. EST (1747 UTC). Having the announcement at 9:30 AM, makes it technically an autumn announcement.

Will the Sheppard corridor where the LRT be running at see major intensification? It seems rather wasteful for trams to be running through sprawl. Buses can do the same.

Will the Sheppard corridor where the LRT be running at see major intensification? It seems rather wasteful for trams to be running through sprawl. Buses can do the same.
Agincourt's already expanding, with several new towers going in now. I expect the LRT might encourage development some more along the corridor, and the city'll be chugging their engines to get development along the entire route. But there's no way they'll get developers to build 6-story mixed use condos through Malvern. So about 2/3 of the line will be running through sprawl. Sheppard east of Agincourt isn't sprawl right now, and could potentially see more high rise development.

Agincourt's already expanding, with several new towers going in now. I expect the LRT might encourage development some more along the corridor, and the city'll be chugging their engines to get development along the entire route. But there's no way they'll get developers to build 6-story mixed use condos through Malvern. So about 2/3 of the line will be running through sprawl. Sheppard east of Agincourt isn't sprawl right now, and could potentially see more high rise development.
I was thinking more about along Malvern. Agincourt, on the other hand, seems like an area that should see the Sheppard subway. If the former area isn't going to see actual development, it really seems like a waste of money. Other corridors like Dufferin, Lawrence, etc would be a lot more appropriate.

Construction Starts on the Sheppard East Light Rail Project

Posted on 12/21/09 at 9:48am by Benzinga Staff

Read More: http://www.benzinga.com/pressreleas...tarts-on-the-sheppard-east-light-rail-project

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Dec. 21, 2009) - Construction on the Sheppard East Light Rail Transit (LRT) is underway. This new transit line will create jobs, help increase ridership, improve air quality, reduce travel time and increase access to other transit systems in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

The Honourable Peter Kent, Minister of State of Foreign Affairs (Americas) and Member of Parliament (Thornhill); the Honourable Jim Bradley, Ontario Transportation Minister; His Worship David Miller, Mayor of Toronto; Rob MacIsaac, Chair of Metrolinx; and Adam Giambrone, Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) Chair, celebrated the groundbreaking today at the Agincourt GO Station.

I'm not really a fan of these ceremonial groundbreaking re-announcements, epically when construction is already underway.

I am not a fan of less important projects getting built first. Sorry but the Yonge Subway Line (not the Sheppard East bus route) is where I waste ample time traveling to and from work.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of less important projects getting built first. Sorry but the Yonge Subway Line (not the Sheppard East bus route) is where I waste ample time traveling to and from work.
Yonge is not ready to build yet, though, so should all other projects wait until it is? If so, we won't see any transit improvements anywhere in the TTC *start* construction until at least 2020.

Yonge is not ready to build yet, though, so should all other projects wait until it is? If so, we won't see any transit improvements anywhere in the TTC *start* construction until at least 2020.

+1

:rolleyes:

What does this even mean? The Yonge subway "wastes your time"? Are you saying that the subway is too slow? How do you propose to make it faster?

Back