776     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Also, back in 1960 (like, you know, 50 years ago, or a half century, or back when car ownership was minimal) you did not have volumes of cars like you do today. I'm all for giving transit priority over vehicles, but there's still a balance that needs to be reached.
In the east end, where there's a lot of streetcars, from what I here, traffic was much worse in 1960 - in the pre-subway days. Driving to downtown in rush-hour these days is a breeze - because very few actually do it. I've heard that the congestion used to me much worse before the Danforth line opened.

I'm really not sure the issue here. The current ALRV's are 23 metres long, and the new units are only 1/3 as long again - 30 metres. The extra time to clear the light shouldn't be that much more time ...

I'm not sure where you got all this information. The links you posted only had cursory information at most, no technical specs. Furthermore, the 'tram' Flexity models can 100% for sure be longer than '1 car', as I've been inside a Flexity low-floor LRT with 5 segments.

If we just look at the 'light rail' model from your link, and look at the picture, I don't see any extra modularity compared to the 'tram' model. It's not like they are individual cars easily joined up like a regular heavy rail train is or something, they seem to be just as complicated in terms of joining up with other cars in terms of connectors and so on.

I completely disagree that we need high-floor vehicles for Eglinton, because this means that the stations for all the non-underground portions will be massive, instead of literally just a curb. It would add to the cost quite a bit, and create huge stations that could no longer be sitting in the middle of the road, nor be so easily accessible (for wheelchairs, the disabled and strollers) without adding huge ramps or expensive micro-escalators, which yet again expands the amount of space these stations take up.

The 'segments' of the tram version are smaller than the full light rail cars. If I have the time, I will find dimensions for everyone to read.

Bombardier has two separate web pages for the two versions for a reason... There are size differences to be concerned with, and I just hope the TC designers are ordering larger, modular Flexity Light Rail vehicles for Eglinton. Anything less, I feel, is a mistake.

Okay, I have had some time to go back and restudy the links I provided earlier. I was certain those links had the data, because I had read it before making the original posts, and I've read it months ago.

To get specifications on the Bombardier site you click the link for Light Rail or Tram, then you select the proper city, then you click "Technical Data" in the middle table.

This reveals car width for the Trams and Light Rail vehicles.

Here is an example of how to do this procedure, since it seems difficult for some people.

howto_techspecs.jpg

I chose Minneapolis, because its a North American example, and then I selected the tech specs for this example.

NOW, I will provide some examples.

Trams examples:

Geneva, Switzerland Tram; 2,300mm width, 42,000mm length

Krakow, Poland Tram; 2,400mm width, 26,000mm length

Light Rail examples:

Minneapolis Light Rail; vehicle width 2650mm, length per car 28,650mm

London-Croydon Light Rail; vehicle width 2,650mm, length per car 30,100mm

And you may select other options/cities as you desire.

Here are a few agreed on standards for the Bombardier Flexity Tram compared with the Bombardier Flexity Light Rail cars, both can rightfully be called "light rail" and I'm not disputing this. I've never said otherwise, and I think some of you have got a misunderstanding about what I'm trying to say and the information I've provided.

Flexity Trams:
*Generally are 300-400mm smaller in width. This is essentially 1+ foot smaller in width, and while it doesn't seem like a lot, for standing passengers its a noticable difference on a crowded train.

*Are not a modular design, generally speaking. They do not have connectors to allow two cars per train; however, they can come pre-assembled in several sectors/sections/dividers. Individually the trams can be longer than a light rail car (and many are) but they cannot be strung together and connected to another car. There are exceptions and customized versions, but generally speaking trams are just the one car with maybe two modules at most.

BT-3489-Geneva.jpg

This is the Geneva Flexity Tram linked above. Notice the difference from the Flexity LRV: the tram has no connector in front to modularize it and put two train cars (even though this model is longer and has a few modules built-in). And its width is only 2,300mm which is a full foot less than the Minneapolis LRV.

Flexity Light Rail:
*Generally are 300-400mm bigger in width. They offer more standing room, and have higher capacity for standing passengers.

*Are modular in design. If one car (say it has two compartments) isn't enough, you can connect it to another car, they are "hot pluggable" and you can connect 4 cars if you wish, and disconnect them.

Flexity trams ARE NOT BUILT to be modular, they may come in two car trains, but they cannot be taken apart or plugged to another 2 car train. UNLESS TTC specifically requests a modification to be made (and yes, there are examples)

Here is an example of the light rail with the modular connection piece on front:
BT-1472-Minneapolis.jpg

Those are the Flexity Light Rail vehicles in Minneapolis. They are hot pluggable, and you can double up the two-moduled cars and it can become 28,650x2=57,300mm in length for rush hour traffic if they need to change it over. This can be done during off-peak hours at a train maintenance facility. And Light Rail Vehicles really don't have a "limit" it is more up to the station design. If a station can handle 4 large LRV's, then modular Light Rail Vehicles can do the job. Although using 4 large, modular Flexity LRV's like Minneapolis would need platforms capable of 28,650x4=114,600mm. This is my single biggest concern with Eglinton LRT. I'd like all the platforms - above and below ground - to be able to accomodate at least 3 cars minimum like Minneapolis uses. This means the platforms NEED to be no less than 28,650x3=85,950mm in length.

Trams may be 30,000+ mm in length, but most (unless a customized order is placed) are not modular in design, so a 40,000mm long tram can only be 40,000mm long unless its a modified, more expensive design. And I don't understand why the TC designers would want to waste a modified, custom design Light Rail vehicle that is a foot less in width.

ANOTHER difference, albeit slight, is that the Flexity Light Rail vehicles are rated for speeds up to 80-90kmph; Flexity Trams are generally rated no more than 70kmph. The reason why is because Light Rail technology requires the other aspects of construction to be higher grade and higher quality. This is extremely noticable in Portland (again, where I lived and experienced this difference for well over a year on a daily basis) where they have a modern Tram/Streetcar working alongside MAX Light Rail.

These are the differences we're talking about.

The argument I'm making is that I want to see Eglinton LRT use Flexity Light Rail vehicles that are modular in design, and have the extra foot of width for standing room over the 'tram' version of the Flexity that will be used for the TTC Streetcar replacement.

Obviously Light Rail, whether smaller trams or larger modular light rail vehicles, is not the same as the TTC subway. The TTC subway cars are a larger 3,134mm in width for considerably more standing room for passengers.

Source: http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5505.shtml

I hope this clears up any confusion in this discussion on train sizes, in particular with the Flexity series. Now that we know what kinds of trains they are using, its irrelevant to talk about the Boston T trams/light rail cars as they aren't anything like what we know TC will be using.

Better examples are to use Portland MAX, Minneapolis, etc.

Last edited:
BrandonTO416 explained about the difference nicely. But could the St. Clair right-of-way and the Bathurst railway bridge underpass handle the light rail vehicle's 2,600 mm width, or just the current CLRV's width of 2,500 mm? While they may not be used on revenue service on the streetcar/tram lines, could they make it to and from Hillcrest, if the need arises?

From the diagrams I've seen, on the TTC's own web page, St. Clair LRT looks like its going to be a typical streetcar using the tram models. Again, this is speculation looking at diagrams: I can't confirm this.

I would think Eglinton LRT would be the higher quality, more modular LRT model (which is what I am thinking).

Again, we're ending up back at the same theme about not enough information being released to the public on the style of LRT each of these lines will be. The Transit City team needs a public relations department that can distribute appropriate information and update their web site with detailed construction plans.

I seem to remember being told by a TTC person that the desired platforms for a hypothetical Kingston Road LRT would be 60 m long.

Note though:

1) Kingston Road will carry less people than Eglinton.
2) There are no plans for a Kingston Road LRT anyway. Any dedicated centre lanes would likely be a bus route (which are wide enough to accomodate LRT).

For Eglinton, how feasible are 90 m platforms?

I do have one question Brandon. Why do you suppose that we need a minimum of 3-LRV car lengths for Eglinton? I am wondering what you are basing this assumption on, and why you have chosen this arbitrary number.

I agree that there should be enough capacity on the line to support the projected number of riders, for as far into the future as we can reliably predict, but after a certain point, aren't we just over-engineering it all?

It would be interesting to see a statistical analysis of projected ridership vs actual capacity of each choice. As well, a separate analysis to take into account traffic disruptions by having a 80 metre long train pass intersections regularly and how that would affect traffic.

If the numbers show that we actually NEED the far larger train (and with that far more expensive infrastructure of larger stations, higher platforms, and having huge stations in the middle of the road which are extremely unattractive) then perhaps the extra cost could be justified. If putting in the larger train is beyond any projection, and it's just putting it in for the SAKE of putting it in, then I don't see the point.

If we used the low-floor trains, and built the underground stations longer but had sunken sections like those stations in Brussels, perhaps that would be enough to ensure future expandability of subway in the middle section, while keeping the rest of the system at a human scale.

One big difference between this and Portland Max is that Portland, a very big city in it's own right doesn't even have a subway. So while they might need that capacity there because MAX is a trunk line (doing the job of what YUS or B-D is doing in Toronto), Eglinton is clearly a secondary line far outside the core.

Its all about future viability. If they build a 2 car light rail system then Eglinton will be overloaded in only a few years time.

I always like to remind people that Toronto isn't a slower growth European city that is easier to project passenger ridership for, and Toronto isn't a second tier American city like Portland or Denver. Toronto is a world center and the largest city in Canada, and its got an extremely high rate of population growth, not to mention the Eglinton corridor will likely have lots of condo growth with the addition of this line.

Over time, this line needs to adjust without being taken out of service, or being delayed while they construct new platforms and upgrading of any kind. If this much capital is being invested, it needs to be done right the first time.

I hope people who are subway-only (remember, I thought Eglinton should have been a subway as well) can come around and start lobbying the TC designers to do the right thing, because Light Rail when done right isn't that bad, even for major urban districts with high growth.

What I don't want to see is a non-modular streetcar/tram running up and down Eglinton poking along with no expandability and a maximum of 30,000-40,000mm in length with width of 2,300mm.

That is going to be crowded, no shoulder room, and outdated within a few years of opening it.

3 cars per train is somewhat arbitrary. I want them to basically have stations that are roughly 100,000mm (100m) long, which plans for the future.

If you're going to spend billions of $$$, might as well do it right.

When I first heard of Transit City, I imagined train like LRT, a la C-Train in Calgary running on streets like Eglinton. I guess I was very wrong.

Anyone else notice the announcements and posters in the subway which read "We thank Dalton McGuinty for giving us $$$ to start Transit City"?

Why do politicians think they have such big egos? Is there a surprise election coming soon?

"Thanks to the guidance of Comrade Stalin, this year's harvest will be plentiful!"

Calgary's system is just using higher platform trains, Eglinton LRT can still have the same length as the Calgary C-Train platforms and operate the modular LRV's even if they are low platform.

The biggest laugh I get is how dismissive people seem to be about the differences between the variants of light rail. Trams/Streetcars are different from modular Light Rail Vehicles, and this doesn't mean you can't qualify them both as light rail.

I never understood the big deal over these definitions. It is what it is, there's reality and then there's people's preconceived notions that misunderstand the variants of light rail.

EVERY major manufacturer in the industry differentiates between a Tram/Streetcar and a modular/articulated Light Rail Vehicle.

As if I needed to provide evidence, here it is.

CAF Light Rail Tram - http://www.caf.es/ingles/productos/tranvias.php
CAF Articulated Light Rail Vehicles - http://www.caf.es/ingles/productos/unidades_articuladas.php

Siemens Tram - http://transportation.siemens.com/ts/en/pub/products/mt/products/tram.htm
Siemens Modular Light Rail - http://transportation.siemens.com/ts/en/pub/products/mt/products/light_rail.htm

And of course, our favorite...

Bombardier Light Rail Tram - http://www.bombardier.com/en/transp...vehicles/flexity-trams?docID=0901260d8001269c
Bombardier Modular Light Rail - http://www.bombardier.com/en/transp...ty-light-rail-vehicles?docID=0901260d800126b8

Yes both are light rail, but the fact is its industry standard to consider modular light rail a grade above trams and street cars. The differences are generally that trams are a set size and cannot be modularized/expanded, trams generally run several km/h slower, and trams are smaller in width and length capacity. Generally speaking trams don't require the same quality of rails and construction as an articulated unit, especially when it comes to curves in the track. That's the difference.

If all I have to contend with are some frustrated voices over defining light rail and the information direct from the people who make these vehicles, I'll take the industry professionals and my own experience: trams and modular light rail are two variants, not one in the same. Similar? Sure! But not the same.

Instead of people wasting energy on here arguing over the definition, now that people have the information and understand the variants, I think many of us who WANTED subway need to start arguing and lobbying Transit City to use modular, high capacity light rail vehicles for Eglinton LRT before they do something screwy.

Someone needs to start going to local TC and government meetings to let them know we understand the differences and to not let them screw up Eglinton LRT by building some rinky dink streetcar. I don't have the ability right now because I'm currently applying to go to college and won't even be in Ontario until this fall, and that's only if I even get this next plan of mine to work.

I hope there are other voices out there who have the time to voice the opinion that it needs to be a higher grade LRT and not a simple streetcar in a tunnel.

If anyone wants to get hung up on this pissing contest over the difference between light rail articulated units and light rail trams, so be it. I've provided all the basic information I know how to, because this energy can be better spent elsewhere, like lobbying and writing letters to the TTC and city and the TC planners.

Last edited:
Bombardier has two separate web pages for the two versions for a reason... There are size differences to be concerned with, and I just hope the TC designers are ordering larger, modular Flexity Light Rail vehicles for Eglinton. Anything less, I feel, is a mistake.

TTC is ordering Flexity Trams because they want 100% low floor and want fleet commonality to reduce cost. The only way Eglinton will be anything other than a Flexity Tram is that the SRT is extended onto Eglinton and uses a different vehicle. It makes no sense to have a whole bunch of different vehicle types. A top speed of 70km/h is more than adequate, couplers between modern vehicles is not rocket science, and the Flexity outlook is MODULAR. What makes no sense at all is that you point to an LRT in Minneapolis which only exists in one length as an example of modularity and don't accept a tram which exists in multiple lengths and being modular. The difference between the Brussels STIB T3000 and T4000 is and addition of 2 modules!! Is your definition of modularity "has a coupler"??

There is little to gain with Flexity Swift over Flexity Outlook besides increased vehicle weight and speed. The differences are not related to vehicle width (Flexity Outlook exists in varying widths), vehicle length (Flexity Outlook is truly modular allowing "walk-through" access to a vehicle of varying length), or the ability to couple them.

Flexity Tram in Berlin: 40,000mm long and 2,400mm wide max speed 70km/h.
Flexity Swift in Cologne: 28,400mm long and 2,650mm wide max speed 80km/h.

I don't understand your concern. What is it exactly you don't think these vehicles will be able to do? Inability to handle a trailer hitch?

TTC is ordering Flexity Trams because they want 100% low floor and want fleet commonality to reduce cost. The only way Eglinton will be anything other than a Flexity Tram is that the SRT is extended onto Eglinton and uses a different vehicle. It makes no sense to have a whole bunch of different vehicle types. A top speed of 70km/h is more than adequate, couplers between modern vehicles is not rocket science, and the Flexity outlook is MODULAR. What makes no sense at all is that you point to an LRT in Minneapolis which only exists in one length as an example of modularity and don't accept a tram which exists in multiple lengths and being modular. The difference between the Brussels STIB T3000 and T4000 is and addition of 2 modules!! Is your definition of modularity "has a coupler"??

There is little to gain with Flexity Swift over Flexity Outlook besides increased vehicle weight and speed. The differences are not related to vehicle width (Flexity Outlook exists in varying widths), vehicle length (Flexity Outlook is truly modular allowing "walk-through" access to a vehicle of varying length), or the ability to couple them.

Flexity Tram in Berlin: 40,000mm long and 2,400mm wide max speed 70km/h.
Flexity Swift in Cologne: 28,400mm long and 2,650mm wide max speed 80km/h.

I don't understand your concern. What is it exactly you don't think these vehicles will be able to do? Inability to handle a trailer hitch?

Do you have a source? Where is an official statement that says they've decided to order the Tram version? The articles I've read only state the Tram order is to replace the streetcars, not the TC order.

Just remember, the LRV's can be low platform, not just the Tram. The Minneapolis example above happens to be a low platform LRV.

Oh, and enviroto, you should probably go back and re-read the information. I think I stated that trams can have multiple 'modules' but its set at the factory, plus the width is always about a foot smaller unless major modifications are made (at which, customized trams are too expensive to waste time on vs the flexity LRV).

Yes, a tram can be 25,000mm long or it can be 40,000mm long with a few more 'modules'. But you cannot join another, separate car together like the LRV. The trams aren't hot-pluggable by the end user (which will be the TTC).

Does this make sense? I provided all the information and photos to demonstrate what I am talking about. Just two conjoined LRV's can give more capacity than a larger, single tram with a few 'modules' built in.

Do you have a source? Where is an official statement that says they've decided to order the Tram version? The articles I've read only state the Tram order is to replace the streetcars, not the TC order.

The current order is an order with options. The options are for Transit City vehicles. Everything was part of the same bid because the vehicles are going to be almost identical. If Bombardier had to completely retool their plant for a vehicle which is bulkier due to higher speeds requiring greater stability and crash worthiness then there would be no savings.

Just remember, the LRV's can be low platform, not just the Tram. The Minneapolis example above happens to be a low platform LRV.

Yes but they are heavier, less energy efficient, and can't handle curves. Absolutely useless in city streets.

Back