636     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Unless there's a catastrophic failure with the vehicles they procure for replacement, I don't see why else you shouldn't assume that. It has been stated repeatedly from many sources that the TC LRV manufacturer will be replacing the existing fleet as well. Why deal with two manufacturers when you can have the savings from a mass order from one? Especially when the delivery of Transit City vehicles will be in the same time frame?

Yea, thats a neat part of the C-Train. For all some people rag on Calgary, their public transit approach has actually been pretty good. Much better than most GTA municipalities. It would be neat if TC lines on arterials like Finch or Don Mills ducked under major intersections and placed stations under the intersections.

Agreed, but in fairness to GTA municipalities I'm sure Calgary/Alberta has had a lot more money in the coffers the last 15 years than anywhere around here.

Actually, Calgary and Edmonton went into debt for the construction of their CTrain/LRT Extensions. The provincial government has done little other than a per-capita gas tax contribution to transportation funding.

I read in the Star, that construction on the Sheppard East line will begin in September.......and Eglinton Crosstown to start soon after. Does anyone have any specific start dates?

I read in the Star, that construction on the Sheppard East line will begin in September.......and Eglinton Crosstown to start soon after. Does anyone have any specific start dates?

Isn't that specific enough? My dad has a store on Sheppard between McCowan and Markham. They let him know that construction was to start 'later this year'. The BIA in the area is also trying to work out a deal with the city, to waive property taxes while construction is on to prevent businesses from closing down during construction.

The BIA in the area is also trying to work out a deal with the city, to waive property taxes while construction is on to prevent businesses from closing down during construction.

That's an idea I can get behind. I've always felt that most businesses really do want these improvements but are afraid they won't be able to survive the disruption.

That's an idea I can get behind. I've always felt that most businesses really do want these improvements but are afraid they won't be able to survive the disruption.

My dad has already seen business decline somewhat because of general economic trends. If the BIA can't work something out, he'll probably have to close. As will several other businesses along the corridor.

You mean the tumor in the Don Mills line north of Sheppard? I don't remember that being there in the original maps.

Back