381     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Why is Vaughan now a city when it seems to be mostly suburban sprawl and farmland? Yet it will have a terminal station for the Spadina subway.
Because Vaughan and York Region have ambition, foresight, and friends in high places. Toronto, not so much.

The term megacity (or as Gord Stellek uniquely called it, meGAcity) was used constantly to describe Toronto during and after the last amalgamation, but alas that faded into obscurity.

Two too many. Vaughan should be a grain of sand in Toronto's Rob Ford-sized aquarium. But what's done is done.
Try this on for size ... might make you feel better about it. There's a relatively decent demand as far as Steeles West.

At the ends of the major subway lines (Kennedy, Kipling, Downsview ... not sure about Finch, always seems fine the rare occasion I'm there) the subway just crawls, waiting for trains at the end to clear back into service; always seems to take to ever to go to the last couple of stops. Wouldn't it be great if there was another couple of stops unused stations east of Kennedy, and west of Kipling, so that service to those Kennedy and Kipling was better? Well, now at Steeles West, that problems is solved. :)

Why is Vaughan now a city when it seems to be mostly suburban sprawl and farmland? Yet it will have a terminal station for the Spadina subway.
Greenwood, BC has a population of 625 and is still a City. Vaughan had a larger population than Kitchener-Waterloo as of 2006 and probably bigger than the tri-city area by now.

Not true. Vaughan: 239k, K-W: 302k.
My mental estimate of Kitchener is stuck in the 90s I guess. Drop the smallest city from each segment and the point is still valid. People don't argue against the City of North Bay or City of London, as mostly farmland and suburban sprawl.

My mental estimate of Kitchener is stuck in the 90s I guess. Drop the smallest city from each segment and the point is still valid. People don't argue against the City of North Bay or City of London, as mostly farmland and suburban sprawl.
City of Kawartha Lakes, anyone? :)

Isn't the City of Toronto mostly suburban sprawl as well? Perhaps it should be reclassified as the Town of Toronto instead.

Isn't the City of Toronto mostly suburban sprawl as well? Perhaps it should be reclassified as the Town of Toronto instead.

"Town of Toronto" would be too close to "Toronto Township" which is Mississauga, as I'm sure you know.

Back