373     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
And why not ... it would be as fast, if not faster than a BRT (bus rapid transit) route.

Really? I fail to see how a tramway with stops every quarter mile would be faster than a busway with stops every quarter mile. Maybe slightly faster acceleration due to using electricity, but use trollybuses and that advantage is thrown out the window as well.

EDIT: Also, would you be able to find a BRT with stops every 400m? Most bus routes with that kind of stop spacing would be considered local routes rather than rapid or express.

Last edited:
Really? I fail to see how a tramway with stops every quarter mile would be faster than a busway with stops every quarter mile. Maybe slightly faster acceleration due to using electricity, but use trollybuses and that advantage is thrown out the window as well.
I never said it would be faster, I said it would be as fast, maybe faster. You seem to say exactly the same thing. I fail to see what you are objecting to given that you seem to agree with me

EDIT: Also, would you be able to find a BRT with stops every 400m? Most bus routes with that kind of stop spacing would be considered local routes rather than rapid or express.
I bet you will find one ... but why choose 400 metres? I don't think any any of the proposed lines had spacing that short. Sheppard East was over a 500 metre average spacing from Don Mills to Morningside; 540 metres average spacing to Meadowvale. Finch west was almost a 650 metre spacing.

Actually, Mark was the one who posted the video, which concerning the subject of the thread, kind of led itself to a comparison. And while transit in north Scarborough is far from glamourous and it is somewhat car oriented, it is adequate and nowhere near as car oriented as Los Angeles.

Transit in Scarborough is adequate?! Ha! You clearly do not take transit in Scarborough. I do, and the service is atrocious. I spend more time than I like in that city, and getting around on transit is a chore. If I had to live in Scarborough, I would definitely buy a car.

Transit in Scarborough is adequate?! Ha! You clearly do not take transit in Scarborough. I do, and the service is atrocious. I spend more time than I like in that city, and getting around on transit is a chore. If I had to live in Scarborough, I would definitely buy a car.
Seconded ... adequate? Really?

According to the TTC, the Sheppard East bus east of Don Mills has a frequency of 4 minutes at best, and 20 minutes at its worst. This does not include the Scarborough Centre Rocket which further improves service frequencies along Sheppard in western Scarborough. Compare this to the 16th Ave. bus in Markham which for the exception of one run which is 6 minutes apart, its best frequency is 22 minutes apart and its worst is 31 minutes apart. With the exception of a few key corridors, this is what bus service looks like in most of the GTA - and North America (including large cities).

EDIT: I never said transit was great in Scarborough, simply adequate. There are a lot of things which need improving, such as stop spacing, size of buses, fare collection, etc., but if along a major road you can almost guarantee a bus will be coming within a few minutes.

Last edited:
Why would he say "stay in 'Sauga where you belong" if he is saying it isn't a city. Wouldn't it be "stay in the eastern parts of Toronto" where you belong?

I will say I'm going to "Scarborough" just as much as I would say I'm going to "Streetsville". Both are former municipalities, both still have an identity, neither exist any longer as legal entities.

I will say I'm going to "Scarborough" just as much as I would say I'm going to "Streetsville". Both are former municipalities, both still have an identity, neither exist any longer as legal entities.

I must point out a technicality here: Even though Scarborough is no longer a legal city, it does still have a Community Council, which makes a lot of local Committee of Adjustment and Zoning By-Law Amendment decisions. Many of these applications are filed in Scarborough, debated in Scarborough, and then passed in Scarborough. EDIT: Sorry, I must clarify, the CC doesn't make CofA decisions, the CofA does, but Scarborough has its own CofA.

It may not be a legal city, but from the perspective of planning approvals, it functions much in the same way that a Lower Tier municipality does within a Regional Government (ie some independence, but doesn't have it's own OP, and big decisions are made at the upper level).

Scarborough, Etobicoke, and York only decided to call themselves cities after Mel Lastman started the ball rolling. East York sensibly ignored that ego-driven nonsense and remained a Borough.

Scarborough, Etobicoke, and York only decided to call themselves cities after Mel Lastman started the ball rolling. East York sensibly ignored that ego-driven nonsense and remained a Borough.

Why is Vaughan now a city when it seems to be mostly suburban sprawl and farmland? Yet it will have a terminal station for the Spadina subway.

Back