586     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I wonder why they had to hold a special meeting to do this rather than doing it at the meeting last week, or waiting until April. What is so time-critical about this that it suddenly came up and had to be done quickly?

It was disbanded after the 1995 Russell Hill subway derailment, said TTC chief general manager Gary Webster, who attended Tuesday’s special commission meeting.

Umm... more elaboration on that would be good. That sort of implies it had some responsibility for that accident. (Also, derailment is a bit of a facetious term, two trains crashed into each other, with multiple fatalities.)

I wonder why they had to hold a special meeting to do this rather than doing it at the meeting last week, or waiting until April. What is so time-critical about this that it suddenly came up and had to be done quickly?

Ford's childish impatience most likely,

but the sooner everyone realizes that this plan is simply not going to happen the better.

I very much disagree.

There are some great restaurants near Yonge St and Yonge Blvd that I can't easily get to because it's not walking distance from either York Mills or Lawrence stations. The city made a huge mistake by not putting in a Glen Echo station when extending the Yonge line north.

I have to disagree here. Sure, an extra stop would be convenient for you (and me) but the area around where the station would be is all upscale, low density residential. No feeder bus routes either.
Also, is 10 minutes really too far to walk?

I very much disagree.

There are some great restaurants near Yonge St and Yonge Blvd that I can't easily get to because it's not walking distance from either York Mills or Lawrence stations. The city made a huge mistake by not putting in a Glen Echo station when extending the Yonge line north.

Yeah. 2km stop spacing is way too wide, generally speaking. 600-800m is much more reasonable and something around 1km should be the upper limit provided it makes sense for the geography of the street.

I have to disagree here. Sure, an extra stop would be convenient for you (and me) but the area around where the station would be is all upscale, low density residential. No feeder bus routes either.
Also, is 10 minutes really too far to walk?

For people with accessibility issues it certainly is.

Also there would be kind of a feeder bus with the Yonge Blvd branches of the 97. And you could extend the 103 Mount Pleasant North to meet the station.

Yeah. 2km stop spacing is way too wide, generally speaking. 600-800m is much more reasonable and something around 1km should be the upper limit provided it makes sense for the geography of the street.

There were sections that were flattened out in the tunnel with future stations in mind. They did the same thing for North York Centre station, which was added in about 15 years after the line opened.

One thing the City could potentially do is only build the major stations now. Then around the areas where those mid-block stations will eventually be, make a condition of development for the area that the developers, instead of paying cash-in-lieu of parkland, have them pay for part of the construction of the station. You have to figure that ~4 major condo projects would generate significant funds to go towards paying for that development. It would save the city money, and it would also give the condo developers a chance to integrate their development in with the station. Just a thought.

EDIT: This is pretty much exactly what the city did with the NYCC stop. They waited until there was suitable density around the planned location, and then integrated the stop in with the North York Civic Centre. Now because the CC is a municipal building, there wasn't the same transfer of funds, but the same logic can be applied to condo or office developments.

In fact, the City could even do a test-run with this by creating a Secondary Plan for the area around the planned Willowdale Station on the Sheppard line. That way they can prove that the concept works with private developers, before they go and implement it on an entire line.

Last edited:
There were sections that were flattened out in the tunnel with future stations in mind. They did the same thing for North York Centre station, which was added in about 15 years after the line opened.

One thing the City could potentially do is only build the major stations now. Then around the areas where those mid-block stations will eventually be, make a condition of development for the area that the developers, instead of paying cash-in-lieu of parkland, have them pay for part of the construction of the station. You have to figure that ~4 major condo projects would generate significant funds to go towards paying for that development. It would save the city money, and it would also give the condo developers a chance to integrate their development in with the station. Just a thought.

On Sheppard East, I think you pretty much have to build all the stations when the line opens. Presumably there would be stations at Consumers, Victoria Park, Warden, Birchmount and Agincourt GO station before the line dips down to Scarborough Centre. Consumers is the only midblock station here and there is sufficient existing density to build it when the line opens; Pharmacy would almost certainly be omitted because it is too close to Victoria Park. Some of the maps of the proposal omit a station at Birchmount, but I think that this station really needs to be included because there is quite a bit of existing density at this station, and there is a major bus route (17 Birchmount) here.

On Sheppard West this approach might make some sense. There are two obvious locations for midblock stations at Faywood and Senlac, neither of these have a whole lot of density yet. Both have bus transfers to the 104 Faywood and 98 Willowdale-Senlac, but the former is a minor route and the latter is a very minor route.

Also, the city could consider building an infill station at Willowdale (there is provision for a station here).

And astounding as that Ford promise is, the highlight is on page 5, where he promises to build not one ... but two bridges to the Toronto Island!

Back