558     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I do realize that the SELRT is probably done-for, but I just hope that the Eglinton-Scarborough line doesn't get delayed because they're squabbling over Finch West.
Given that the TTC awarded over $100 million in Eglinton LRT contracts last week, including the supply of the tunnel segments ... I think it's clear that is still moving.

Given that the TTC awarded over $100 million in Eglinton LRT contracts last week, including the supply of the tunnel segments ... I think it's clear that is still moving.

That is very true. I think it would almost be better if these projects continued through the election as separate projects, rather than as one "plan". People hear "$8.15 billion transit plan" and they freak out. The Eglinton line has by far the highest degree of city-wide support. Trumpet that one, and let whatever other projects you need to get done slip in through the back door. Eglinton is going to be very hard to refute, even at the Provincial level. The best hope McGuinty has of keeping transit moving in Toronto is to stop referring to the whole transit plan, and just harp on Eglinton as much as he can. I want Finch West to keep going forward, but let's face it, if it gets too high of an exposure, it'll become a political target.

In Ottawa, the West LRT extension planning is already underway (public consultations held late last year, alignment expected to be announced middle of this year), yet the majority of people don't even know it's coming. Why? Because everyone is so focused on the tunnel. The tunnel has been the lightning rod for everything transit-related in Ottawa. Yet since the tunnel was announced, several smaller transit expansion projects have flown completely under the public's radar, including the west extension (which by the way, if current timelines hold true, will likely be open only a couple of years after the tunnel phase).

It's a double-edged sword though. If your lightning rod isn't able to hold up to uninformed public scrutiny, the whole plan falls apart. However, if it's able to withstand that, we'll be able to get the ball rolling on a lot of smaller transit projects, and even some medium-sized ones like the FWLRT, all because people (and the media) are paying attention to Eglinton, and only Eglinton.

That is very true. I think it would almost be better if these projects continued through the election as separate projects, rather than as one "plan". People hear "$8.15 billion transit plan" and they freak out. The Eglinton line has by far the highest degree of city-wide support. Trumpet that one, and let whatever other projects you need to get done slip in through the back door. Eglinton is going to be very hard to refute, even at the Provincial level. The best hope McGuinty has of keeping transit moving in Toronto is to stop referring to the whole transit plan, and just harp on Eglinton as much as he can. I want Finch West to keep going forward, but let's face it, if it gets too high of an exposure, it'll become a political target.

In Ottawa, the West LRT extension planning is already underway (public consultations held late last year, alignment expected to be announced middle of this year), yet the majority of people don't even know it's coming. Why? Because everyone is so focused on the tunnel. The tunnel has been the lightning rod for everything transit-related in Ottawa. Yet since the tunnel was announced, several smaller transit expansion projects have flown completely under the public's radar, including the west extension (which by the way, if current timelines hold true, will likely be open only a couple of years after the tunnel phase).

It's a double-edged sword though. If your lightning rod isn't able to hold up to uninformed public scrutiny, the whole plan falls apart. However, if it's able to withstand that, we'll be able to get the ball rolling on a lot of smaller transit projects, and even some medium-sized ones like the FWLRT, all because people (and the media) are paying attention to Eglinton, and only Eglinton.

I still think the entire Sheppard issue is what is really holding things up politically. This was Ford's baby from day 1, he campaigned on it and promised it. All the talk about the private sector helping build it (as we could all have guessed) was total nonsense. The fact that he has sort of rolled over on Eglinton in the public eye may be one thing, but I'm sure he is still fighting Metrolinx for every penny to get Sheppard rolling.

Until someone says Sheppard is dead (Metrolinx, the Province, even Ford) I would be worried about every other project moving forward. Ford may be pushing Hudak if he doesn't get his money, but he probably also believes people will push to oust him next election if he doesn't produce Sheppard.

Sad thing is, if he just improves Transit in some way or another that is realistic both in time frame and funding (Sheppard LRT, Eglinton LRT, Scarborough RT to LRT, etc) he will gain voter confidence. I agree with gweed that the whole thing boils down to public perception.

I still think the entire Sheppard issue is what is really holding things up politically. This was Ford's baby from day 1, he campaigned on it and promised it. All the talk about the private sector helping build it (as we could all have guessed) was total nonsense. The fact that he has sort of rolled over on Eglinton in the public eye may be one thing, but I'm sure he is still fighting Metrolinx for every penny to get Sheppard rolling.

Until someone says Sheppard is dead (Metrolinx, the Province, even Ford) I would be worried about every other project moving forward. Ford may be pushing Hudak if he doesn't get his money, but he probably also believes people will push to oust him next election if he doesn't produce Sheppard.

Sad thing is, if he just improves Transit in some way or another that is realistic both in time frame and funding (Sheppard LRT, Eglinton LRT, Scarborough RT to LRT, etc) he will gain voter confidence. I agree with gweed that the whole thing boils down to public perception.

Important to note: recent polls have shown Hudak has the most to gain from voters in North York and Scarborough. The Sheppard subway is their baby afterall...

Important to note: recent polls have shown Hudak has the most to gain from voters in North York and Scarborough. The Sheppard subway is their baby afterall...

The one good thing about Ford winning the election is that it looks to have turned the 416 into a political battleground. This means that Toronto is more likely to see funding promises from both the federal and provincial governments.

This goes for both federal and provincial governments.

And Ford's recent antics are much like a child who spends his allowance on candy, and then threatens his parents with a tantrum if they don't give him more money because he needs to buy something else with that money.

While I don't disagree, I do find it ironic that this is what Miller did somewhat regularly, and that Toronto deserves this money regardless.

Hate the new boss, same as the old boss. However, Miller was smart. Ford is such an idiot... that he ends up being somewhat smart! :S

Has there been much outcry over Finch West? The majority of it that I've seen seems to be centred around Eglinton (as it should be).
I have heard no outcry over Eglinton since Ford's transit plan went public earlier this month. Why would there be, given that it is unchanged, except with more underground.

While I don't disagree, I do find it ironic that this is what Miller did somewhat regularly, and that Toronto deserves this money regardless.

Hate the new boss, same as the old boss. However, Miller was smart. Ford is such an idiot... that he ends up being somewhat smart! :S

Ford is like an overweight Inspector Gadget. He bumbles cluelessly through everything, but somehow things turn out ok in the end. I don't get it.

I have heard no outcry over Eglinton since Ford's transit plan went public earlier this month. Why would there be, given that it is unchanged, except with more underground.

Wasn't there an entire canvassing event for the neighbourhoods that will be affected by the Eglinton LRT organized on this site? The majority of the "cutting our losses" seemed to be centred around the Eglinton line, very much at the expense of the FWLRT and SELRT.

Wasn't there an entire canvassing event for the neighbourhoods that will be affected by the Eglinton LRT organized on this site? The majority of the "cutting our losses" seemed to be centred around the Eglinton line, very much at the expense of the FWLRT and SELRT.
That was before this new $13-billion plan came out consisting only of the Eglinton LRT, Sheppard East subway, the SRT (as of yet undefined route/technology), and the Finch West BRT. I'm talking about since then - I haven't heard ANY Eglinton LRT outcry (other than it being too expensive at the new $350-million per kilometre price).

That was before this new $13-billion plan came out consisting only of the Eglinton LRT, Sheppard East subway, the SRT (as of yet undefined route/technology), and the Finch West BRT. I'm talking about since then - I haven't heard ANY Eglinton LRT outcry (other than it being too expensive at the new $350-million per kilometre price).

Oh ok. Then yes, there hasn't been much outcry, because it's a given that it will be staying. I sure hope that they don't split the Eglinton LRT from the Scarborough LRT though. That would just be plain dumb.

I sure hope that they don't split the Eglinton LRT from the Scarborough LRT though. That would just be plain dumb.
The thesis of just how dumb Ford's proposal is has been the subject of numerous editorials, not to mention today's attack from the Toronto Environmental Alliance. If at the end of the day, the dumbest thing we have is that it that the Eglinton Line and the SRT are split, then things aren't too bad.

I really dislike the idea of the SRT being joined to Eglinton. What the SRT needs is a replacement with a couple subway stations. I don't understand the concept behind amputating the subway so close to STC.

Back