1.4K     2 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I shot a video of Jane St from St Clair to Bloor to give an eye view what it looks like at ground zero.

It quite clear that no ROW can be built on this road for 90% of it even removing on street parking.

The talk of rebuilt the underpass is going to be fun as the Old Mill Car dealership is building a new home riight next to the bridge on top. It supposed open this year.

I even shot Sheppard Ave going both east and west, but have to do some cutting to fit on youtube as they are 1.7 gig long each. I have them up on my site and will post a link to them in time once I get the video page done.

I plan on shooting all the routes this summer as before construction and what they look like at ground zero.

I shot a video of Jane St from St Clair to Bloor to give an eye view what it looks like at ground zero.

It quite clear that no ROW can be built on this road for 90% of it even removing on street parking.

The talk of rebuilt the underpass is going to be fun as the Old Mill Car dealership is building a new home riight next to the bridge on top. It supposed open this year.

The Jane LRT should be underground south of Eglinton, with only coming out in the valley at Alliance Avenue (Black Creek). By going through the hills, an incline can be avoided, and the LRV's could travel at almost level.

The Jane LRT should be underground south of Eglinton, with only coming out in the valley at Alliance Avenue (Black Creek). By going through the hills, an incline can be avoided, and the LRV's could travel at almost level.

I agree that south section from Eglinton needs to be underground to deal with the width issue as well the grade for the hills.

I agree that south section from Eglinton needs to be underground to deal with the width issue as well the grade for the hills.

The same for Eglinton West between Jane and Black Creek Drive. Going through the hill (Mt. Dennis) under Weston Road will avoid having to battle the incline for the LRV's. The line would then be almost level and could enter portals without much of an incline, with a final portal west of Black Creek near the former old City of York City Hall.

Actually, I was not sure at all, which is why I said I was under the impression. Since posting that I've overcome my laziness and taken the twelve seconds required to look it up. It appears they didn't raise the ceiling, in fact they lowered the floor by about 6 inches.
That would explain the new track; I can't say I noticed the difference in height ... I'll have to look closely next time I'm there.

Metrolinx to own Transit City

http://www.metrolinx.com/Docs/Agenda...Framework_Repo

NEW PROVINCIAL FRAMEWORK
On June 4, 2009, the Deputy Minister of Transportation issued a framework letter to the City Manager of Toronto and the Chief Administrative Officer of York Region, outlining the bold, collaborative steps necessary to achieve the shared vision of building the regional transit network of the future – starting with the initial five priorities, including the two groundbreakings in fall 2009. Five key principles make up the new framework:

•Metrolinx ownership and control of the new, designated regional transit projects: Ownership through Metrolinx will allow the province to amortize its $10 billion investment over the useful life of the new transit assets in a fiscally responsible manner. Metrolinx will be responsible for approving project scope and budget, and for approving the terms and conditions of owning, constructing, operating and maintaining the new assets, in consultation with Toronto and York partners. The procurement of construction services, transit vehicles and other project capital requirements will also be the responsibility of Metrolinx, working closely with municipal partners.
For the new assets owned by the Province, Metrolinx will be enter into performance-based operating and maintenance agreements with municipalities, their transit agencies and other service providers.

•Provincial commitment to partnerships and cooperation: In the interest of implementation efficiency and speed, Metrolinx will build, wherever possible, on the existing, substantial expertise and resources of Toronto and York in planning, development and other essential pre-construction activities.

•Metrolinx responsibility for project scope, budget and timing: Municipally-requested changes to project scope, and the corresponding impacts on construction costs and schedules, will require Metrolinx Board approval. The Province will direct Metrolinx to adhere to “baseline†project cost eligibility criteria. Toronto and York will be responsible for additional costs that exceed the provincial baseline and Metrolinx-approved scope.

•A customer-focussed approach: Consistent with the Metrolinx “customer first†emphasis and region-wide mandate, implementation of the Presto integrated farecard system – and its future technological evolution – will be a prerequisite for each project.

•Clear project governance: Under the new ownership model, Metrolinx will be expected to develop agreements and governance structures whereby Metrolinx provides oversight for municipal and transit agency implementation teams. This is a viable model for the Sheppard LRT and the first phase of the York Viva projects, where both municipalities’ pre-existing, well-developed implementation momentum and state-of- readiness are largely responsible for the early groundbreaking target in fall 2009.

Infrastructure Ontario will act as the project delivery agent on behalf of Metrolinx on the projects designated by the Province as strong candidates for an Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) approach.

The high-potential AFP project list is expected to initially include the Finch LRT, Scarborough Rapid Transit and the second phase of the Viva BRT projects.

Most of all, the new framework emphasizes the importance of collaboration between the Province, Metrolinx, the two municipalities and their transit agencies as the key critical success factor to achieve the urgent project implementation timelines. That intent and spirit are carried over into the detailed consultations now underway with Toronto and York, and led by the CEO of Metrolinx on behalf of the Provincial interest. The consultations are moving forward in an overall collaborative, positive manner.

It'll be interesting to see how it all breaks down.
My off-hand reaction is that TTC, the biggest transit system under Mlinx, has long been resistant to anything that is regional in scope (Presto, Subway extensions etc. etc.).
While short of a "takeover" of the TTC it does seem like a message to them that "you just sit there and run your local routes. let the big boys handle the important stuff."
That's got to be a good thing for regional transit....I think.

hard to do worse though and besides Metrolinx will make sure the lines open on time.

Amen to that! The TTC thankfully doesn't have a monopoly on transit expertise and I'm liking the look of Ontario's new iron fist so far. The smashing can't start soon enough.

Back