Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
http://www.metrolinx.com/Docs/Agenda...Framework_Repo

•A customer-focussed approach: Consistent with the Metrolinx “customer first†emphasis and region-wide mandate, implementation of the Presto integrated farecard system – and its future technological evolution – will be a prerequisite for each project.

Thank GOD for that clause. At least someone has the guts and foresight to shove the presto card down the TTC's throat. I can't believe there is any question about this. 1969 is over, lets get on with it already.

The TTC's stubborn attitude toward regional integration is about 30 years out of date. Up until 1980, the vast majority of jobs, population and growth took place within the 416 and the TTC was free to operate as a hermetically-sealed transit agency at complete odds to the region around it. Since then, more than half the people in the GTA have come to live in the 905 and I'm probably sure that the proportion of jobs is either there already, or closing in fast. The GTA's biggest transit problem is that there is very little regional integration and apart from downtown-focused GO services (with some piecemeal bus services whizzing around 905 highways to far-flung educational institutions), there is no real regional transit operator. There has been some success at amalgamating three tiny transit agencies into moderately sized ones like YRT (you can forget about Durham transit) but that is really only an asset for York Region, and baby steps compared to what's needed for full regional integration and planning coordination.

Now, Metrolinx isn't perfect, but at least it's not resistant to regional initiatives like the TTC has been. This sort of mentality is not just out of date, it's toxic for public transit growth given the regional circumstances that we find ourselves in.

It would not make sence to have Metrolinx operate Transit City lines, while having TTC operate the subway lines. Either both the LRT lines and the subway lines should be controlled by TTC, or both should be taken over by Metrolinx, leaving TTC with the local bus and streetcar service.

In reality, most likely the TTC will operate the Transit City lines, while Metrolinx "ownership" will amount to no more than a provinsial accounting game. Instead of just incurring debt to build Transit City, the province will have both the debt and the matching assets on its books. As if those "assets" could potentially be sold to someone ...

hard to do worse though and besides Metrolinx will make sure the lines open on time.

How would they do that, wave a magic wand?

Metrolinx may already be delaying eglinton if they are going for a new procurement process for the LRV's, since they can't design the underground section until the exact vehicle specs are known, not to mention that the vehicles might not even arrive in time for sheppard. And their instance on connecting sheppard with finch is also causing further interference.

hard to do worse though and besides Metrolinx will make sure the lines open on time.
Yeah but the vehicles will only come once an hour, not run at night, they'll blow past most of the stations without stopping, and you'll have to pay a separate fare if you use the subway as well. :)

Yeah but the vehicles will only come once an hour, not run at night, they'll blow past most of the stations without stopping, and you'll have to pay a separate fare if you use the subway as well. :)

I think both scenarios are unlikely...

TTC would still operate the line and they said TC lines would be frequent service.

Separate fare= less ridership=TTC forced to maintain the 85 bus=TC will fail.
TTC already said it would be POP.

How would they do that, wave a magic wand?

Metrolinx may already be delaying eglinton if they are going for a new procurement process for the LRV's, since they can't design the underground section until the exact vehicle specs are known, not to mention that the vehicles might not even arrive in time for sheppard. And their instance on connecting sheppard with finch is also causing further interference.

It makes sense That metrolinx might not want to buy the same models, they don't need all those special features on the TC lines. The Streetcar network was a pain for Bombardier which forced them to modify their model and that caused the price per streetcars to be so expensive.

I think Metrolink should just order the same model minus the specific features that were required for the downtown network. This should decrease the price per streetcars...

I think both scenarios are unlikely...

TTC would still operate the line and they said TC lines would be frequent service.

Separate fare= less ridership=TTC forced to maintain the 85 bus=TC will fail.
TTC already said it would be POP.

POP does not equal a separate fare

It makes sense That metrolinx might not want to buy the same models, they don't need all those special features on the TC lines. The Streetcar network was a pain for Bombardier which forced them to modify their model and that caused the price per streetcars to be so expensive.

I think Metrolink should just order the same model minus the specific features that were required for the downtown network. This should decrease the price per streetcars...

That is basically what the TTC is planing to do, it is Metrolinx that has been making noise about starting the process all over agian

I'm liking the look of Ontario's new iron fist so far. The smashing can't start soon enough

Ditto.. sometimes I think that the best thing that could happen to this city is a benign authoritarian regime to take over and make things happen.

Thank GOD for that clause. At least someone has the guts and foresight to shove the presto card down the TTC's throat. I can't believe there is any question about this. 1969 is over, lets get on with it already.
According to the www.prestocard.ca website, we'll still be able to pay with cash, and maybe still even tokens/tickets.

To get the card, you'll need to spend a minimum of $25 up front.

The sooner the better. I'll be quite happy when I can stop carrying around GO 10-ride tickets, that never seem to want to validate when your train is approaching

Back