753     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 691     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

Cell phone snap:

2386059869_f850e9d69b_b.jpg

Walked by it today, I'm really liking the looks of this. Believe it or not I'd never walked Dundas west of Bay St before, even though I walk around all the time. I had to snap a shot, the way it reflects the sky is great.

2399349363_b6fea84172_o.jpg

The glass is triple pane. When it arrived on site the outermost panes on those two windows were broken, so they cut out the bad pane and installed the remaining two good ones, just to fill the hole temporarily while a replacement could be ordered. That's why it looks recessed, because the glass in those two spots is thinner than it is everywhere else.

What a pity that the faceted nature of the glass emphasizes the facets as much as it reflects the neighbourhood. Still, I think the bold gesture of this great billowing glass sail rises above such limitations of form.

Is the area directly behind the glass indoors or is this simply an exterior visual element? It looks like it would be tough to seal in at the point the design changes, behind, and underneath.

Behind the "torn " bits at each end it will be open air. Otherwise, the visor will encase the Galleria Italia sculpture gallery.

Back