News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 896     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

That's exactly what I ordered.

I had the Home Made Soup followed by the Canadian Breakfast and then chocolate fondue for dessert.

That view walking down McCaul will be priceless, with the curvelinear AGO facade set off against the boxiness of OCAD; delightfully whimsical.

Does anyone know what's gonna happen to the squat brick building in the foreground? It was a restaurant (balkan bistro I think?) but last time I walked by I think I saw something about the nearby Village Idiot pub taking over the space.

p.s. that parking lot is an eyesore on this otherwise quintessentially Toronto-picturesque-shabby street.

Province Gives Millions More the Arts and AGO

Major news coming from the Province:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080403.GRANTS03/TPStory/TPNational/Ontario/

$75 million for the Arts including:

$8.6-million to help pay the deficit it has been running during its year-long closing, and to pay off a $4.8-million debt that dates to a funding crunch in 1992.

This is fantastic news! This will help launch the new AGO on stable financial grounds. Well done!

Louroz

Does anyone know if the older white parts of the building will be retrofitted in order to fit into the grand scheme of Gehry's plan? The last I heard, was that there was some extra money floating around due to an increased donations..

??

p5

I don't think it's being replaced, because otherwise they wouldn't have gone to such lengths to punch careful little holes in it to allow for the steel's connections on the wings.

Does anyone know if the older white parts of the building will be retrofitted in order to fit into the grand scheme of Gehry's plan? The last I heard, was that there was some extra money floating around due to an increased donations..

??

p5

According to what I know, no, it's staying the same. In fact, I don't mind the white concrete parts on Dundas. I do mind some of the mish mash on Beverly. I hope that façade and sidewalk are the next target of renovations.

With due respect to Current, for capturing the content first... I think the ultimate AGO postcard will be a version of Current's photo, shot on a perfect day with a long exposure and all the other bells and whistles, slightly different angle in order to feature AGO of course etc.

Imagine having Gehry's galleria (perhaps wide enough to include a hint of titanium), Alsop's OCAD and the CN Tower ... in the same shot.

Works for me. Editorial exhuberance will of course support the proposed pic.

2385599786_fea9ac0f5d_b.jpg

^^Its a bit ominous no? Like its looming over the park..Not sure, but could have the wrong effect on the Grange..

I guess that is true what you say whatever- the careful punching of the holes in the precast would make it obvious that they are not going to be changing it- at least anytime soon.

MM: I am not opposed, nor do I dislike the concrete parts, but I do think that it could use some attention- a cleaning, some new windows-in other words a little sprucing up.

p5

The existing eastern section contains the Jackman Theatre which leads directly to a cafe in the new section with a great skylight and 25 foot ceilings. Judging from the care taken in traffic flow transition between new and old parts I guess the old section is going to be around for the foreseeable future.

That's exactly what I ordered. I had the Home Made Soup followed by the Canadian Breakfast and then chocolate fondue for dessert.
That's quite the meal! Too funny. simply Dan and I have a Canadian Breakfast every Saturday morning!

Does anyone know what's gonna happen to the squat brick building in the foreground? It was a restaurant (Balkan bistro I think?) but last time I walked by I think I saw something about the nearby Village Idiot pub taking over the space.
That's the first I've heard of that, but I'm actually going to the Village Idiot Pub tomorrow night for drinks so I'll try to ask the owner.

Major news coming from the Province:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080403.GRANTS03/TPStory/TPNational/Ontario/
$75 million for the Arts including:
Indeed, fantastic news! McGuinty is turning out to be quite a good Premier (although, we have had a dearth of them in recent times).

Indeed, fantastic news! McGuinty is turning out to be quite a good Premier (although, we have had a dearth of them in recent times).

I like McGuinty. I don't know why he gets criticized so much. And Ontario knows its better off with him than with another Conservative government. Bad enough we're stuck with the Alberta government in Ottawa.

Back