News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

In that lighting it looks like Lego. The cyan colour offers some interesting texture to the landscape though, as odd as it can look.

That pic really demonstrates why they need to bury the hydro lines.

They began putting up the blue titanium panels on the west side today. They seem to be moving at a fast pace. Pic below shows progress as of 4pm [not bad considering the first titanium tile went up around 1pm]

Ago2-1.jpg

Standing at the north-east corner of the Rogers-Dome/Sky-Centre and looking north along John street, the AGO makes a great impression. It's a view thousands will have before and after every event if they tilt their heads up just a bit.

I also noticed today that the West spiral staircase on Grange Park has bars installed. I hope they're a skeleton for a titanium skin to be applied later because those bars looked quite hideous as a permanent fixture.

I have faith though because so far, the construction of this building has turned into the spitting image of the final drawings and renderings.

No, the bars are finished. They're stainless steel, and they aren't getting covered up. Same kind of thing is going to be happening over on the East side.

According to the working architectural drawing, there don't seem to be bars there. It looks like a flat surface (I assumed it was titanium like the center cantilevered spiral staircase):

elevation-south2.jpg

According to the working architectural drawing, there don't seem to be bars there. It looks like a flat surface (I assumed it was titanium like the center cantilevered spiral staircase):

That's an old drawing. The detail drawings show vertical bars.

wow.. they look pretty crappy. I guess we're witnessing the first cheap-out on an otherwise successful construction chronology.

By the way, I linked that drawing directly from the AGO site.

I took ARC131 as one of my electives, Richards sure is an amazing professer:), much better then Prof. Salaman who teaches ARC132:(

ARC132 was HORRIFIC! With Richards I almost didn't mind the Thurs. 9am time slot but with that second-term-snorefest, I don't think I went more than 5 times...

I get the impression that external work is increasing in pace. I've gone by three times this week and every time, I've noticed a lot of new work.

The blue titanium panels are going up quickly now and the Dundas St. street level façade is being completed.

Today I watched workers hoist glazing to close off the West end of Galeria Italia.

I think that by the end of May, we'll see most of the exterior finished and hoarding beginning to come down as they concentrate on setting up the galleries inside for the fall 2008 opening.

April 24, 2008

The photograph doesn't quite convey how interesting and strong this bit of architecture looks in person.

ago6-2.jpg

ago5-2.jpg

ago4-2.jpg

ago3-2.jpg

A mess of scaffolding still at the back...
ago1-3.jpg

The railings on the curvy side stairs. Personally, I thought they looked quite elegant and fine.
ago2-2.jpg

I think that by the end of May, we'll see most of the exterior finished and hoarding beginning to come down as they concentrate on setting up the galleries inside for the fall 2008 opening.

They are currently updating the hoarding. It's going to be up way past May.

Wood beams?? I mean I'm sure they know what they're doing, but how long will those last, or least stay in nice condition exposed to the elements like that?

Back