News   Apr 23, 2024
 168     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 907     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 294     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

My art teacher has big connections... when we were at the AGO in October just before it closed, she told a few of us when it will be closed until, but she said they didn't want her to tell.

They're being smart not to tout a particular date, because that only leads to disappointment when it's not completed in time, as is usually the case with big projects like this.

I have no problem that it opens a little behind schedule. The ROM "opened" in a very unfinished state. It obviously need a lot of work still. That's why it closed immediately after. It wasn't really an opening, it was a mid-construction peak.

I think the AGO is going to come out of left field and stun a lot of people.

My only concern is the "grafting" of a spectacular canopy on the north and titanium box with a squiggle on the south... still screams "add on".

I realize this is an "expansion" on a tiny site footprint (meaning the available extra space) rather than a blank canvas... but the canopy is beginning to intrigue and I can't help wondering what the idea would look like executed in some fashion around the entire perimeter.

Whether you love it or hate the ROM Crystal, it is none-the-less a self-contained and congruent object that has grown next to the ROM (and doesn't even touch it per se).

Place tumor jokes here__________ .

2026944626_707ff7c68d_b.jpg

2026939772_93ddcf2f1a_b.jpg

2026935604_448244ede5_b.jpg

2026128101_5893fac603_b.jpg

2026925432_e9ebfb0eaf_b.jpg

Thanks for the pics- I just had a question for those of you who might know. When do they plan on adding the curving shields which are supposed to fly of the ends of the canopy? I would have thought this would have been part of the canopy construction, but it seems that it will happen after the canopy is complete or at least sealed??

p5

p5, I was wondering the same thing. And here's my sobering conclusion: if you look at the renders posted on-site, you'll see that the balsa wood framing isn't actually supposed to continue beneath the raised "leafs" of glass. Instead, it's supposed to curve out and, well, support the glass.

In other words, I have a sinking feeling that the AGO has quietly undergone the process that 42 so succinctly dubbed The Cheapening.

Thanks for the pics- I just had a question for those of you who might know. When do they plan on adding the curving shields which are supposed to fly of the ends of the canopy? I would have thought this would have been part of the canopy construction, but it seems that it will happen after the canopy is complete or at least sealed??

p5

The ends are coming...you'll notice if you go there that there are cuts in the concrete facade for the steel supports. Both sides are currently being used as staging areas for the construction (for storage of material equipment etc.) so they will be started later. Right now the priority is to finish the spaces that are to be occupied.

2026925432_e9ebfb0eaf_b.jpg

Impressive! Looks like a huge Noah's Arc! Once the glazing starts going on, as it is now, it's usually applied really quickly. Looks like they're trying to beat the cold weather that's coming.

Regarding the sides of the canopy, if you look closely at renderings and mockups, they're added on. They don't actually make part of the sculpture gallery. There's nothing behind them.

As for this addition looking tacked on, I agree.. but it's a hell of a lot better than the barn that once was. Also, Gehry is making sense of the interior. I remember getting completely disoriented on my single visit to the AGO a couple of years ago. The reoriented entrance aligned with Walker's Court will help immensely.

If there were more budget available, I don't doubt that Gehry could come up with perhaps a cladding scheme for the sides of the ROM. Blue titanium?

God I hope there will be some streetscaping to compliment the new building. That is Toronto 'messy urbanism' at its best.

The north side of Dundas is a mess. The streetscape, compete with the hydro poles, looks run down and most of the homes look unkept and...well... run down as well (peeling paint, plaster and concrete, plenty of weeds and wild growth and buildings in disrepair). It is amazing that this important area of town is so embarrassing (to both tourists and our own sense of pride).

AGO is already having an effect on the other side of the street. Every time I pass by, I see a new small art gallery and/or cafe patio. I do hope that they bury the wires and I'm sure the streetscape on the AGO side will be redone once construction is over.

I'm not surprised the street is looking like it does. With the old desolate barn facing it for over a decade, there was no incentive to look good.
With a world famous architect's masterpiece across from it now, the city will definitely need to step up efforts on streetscaping. Real estate and property values will take care of the rest.

Now only if something was done about the "public space" in front of the Police station further East... it was better as a parking lot for police cruisers. This space should be redone into a small parkette.

^^I noticed those cuts in the concrete a while back as well, but got the impression that they would at least build the structural wings along with the rest of the canopy. I can see where you are coming from with regards to your point about using the end areas as staging spaces Metroman. I hope that they don't pull a quick one and end up not including them like SNF and 42 have mentioned..

On another note however- is anyone else a little disappointed with the southern flying spiral staircase? I know it is still incomplete, but every time I look at it, it seems more awkward than when I last saw it. I kind of get the impression that it was supposed to be much more elegant, but then reality set in and it had to be reinforced and became a bulkier version..safety concerns maybe?

p5

I understand your concern about the south spiral staircase p5. I got that impression too until I started seeing it from different angles. Wait til the glass and blue titanium is on the staircase.

Really, nothing has changed from the final drawings and those showed the staircase to be elegant and beautiful.

Back