News   Apr 17, 2024
 783     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 313     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

If there are any scraps of Titanium left over when the rest is clad, we should demand they be tacked up on those protrusions too.

jaborandi:

Nothing wrong with making them pop a bit - does titanium come in cerise?

Yup - apparently the colour of titanium cladding is dependent on a refractive layer - which can generate a wide range of iridescent colours.

AoD

I can't believe this thread was buried on page 3!
Anyways, I got this back from AGO staff via they're Transformation AGO construction blog.

Jay - Thanks for your interest in the project. The installation of the titanium panels is a multi-stage process. In October, various installation methods for the titanium were prototyped on the south tower to determine which approach would be the most effective. Clips to hold the titanium panels are now in the process of being installed – this will likely take 2-3 weeks. Weather permitting, the titanium panels should start to go up by the end of November.
#2.1 Bev Carret...

Awesome! :-D

Yeah, I can't believe how little interest this project is gathering. I often find this thread buried weeks deep.

Due to the quality of materials, this is going to be quite a jem. The glulam wood, the titanium and the glass are going to make a gorgeous ensemble.

Drove by yesterday. The Dundas facade is becoming rather spectacular... the skeletal Douglas fir (?) "ribs" are substantially installed (not the wings at every end though). I initially thought this would be an odd collision of materials on this scale... wood and glass for a city block... but now I see it will be rather gorgeous.

The AGO is indeed looking beautiful. I've been following this at staggered intervals, but so much is beginning to happen that it's now becoming my "full time" project to watch.

I added the two webcams in my OSX Dashboard so I'll be monitoring it any time I'm at my computer. I'll report any major events such as adding of the first titanium plates, Dundas facade glazing, etc.

I got wind that the reopening is going to be delayed a bit, maybe a few weeks or so. A technical issue regarding shipping some of the specialized materials.

This project does seem a little under the radar. I hope this means that it'll be a very pleasant surprise.

Back