News   Apr 18, 2024
 666     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

One thing that I'm noticing as the shield gets completed is that it will overhang the sidewalk completely. Anybody walking on the south sidewalk of Dundas will walk under the shield.
This is going to be incredible... wow! Can't wait for some more updates.

One thing that I'm noticing as the shield gets completed is that it will overhang the sidewalk completely. Anybody walking on the south sidewalk of Dundas will walk under the shield.
This is going to be incredible... wow! Can't wait for some more updates.
Indeed, that a main reason I love this design - it turns the public sidewalk into a part of the AGO. Quite exciting to walk down the street, and suddenly find yourself encased in an Art Gallery.

^^
On another note however- is anyone else a little disappointed with the southern flying spiral staircase? I know it is still incomplete, but every time I look at it, it seems more awkward than when I last saw it. I kind of get the impression that it was supposed to be much more elegant, but then reality set in and it had to be reinforced and became a bulkier version..safety concerns maybe?

p5

I think the best part of the staircases will be the experience of walking up and down them...the view will be 180°... and you'll be cantilevered away from the building. A bit like a carnival ride ...

Yeah, the staircase does took pretty bulky, esp. with the tubular steel. It reminds me of a twisted / warped historic streetcar or cablecar.

^^I noticed those cuts in the concrete a while back as well, but got the impression that they would at least build the structural wings along with the rest of the canopy. I can see where you are coming from with regards to your point about using the end areas as staging spaces Metroman. I hope that they don't pull a quick one and end up not including them like SNF and 42 have mentioned.

Point of order.

While SNF quoted my term 'The Cheapening' to indicate his concern that no progress has been made on the AGO visor's wings, I originally used the term to describe the value-engineering process of paring away architectural detail in order to keep costs down at another project in town, namely the insignificant Hilton Garden Inn in the very un-garden-y Entertainment District.

I'm not worried that they won't be adding the wings. As more proof that they are first concentrating on sealing the inhabitable parts of the building and leaving the rest until afterwards, another bit of visor that has not appeared yet are the frames for the couple rows of glass that will hang below the floor of the galleria and which will protect the sidewalk.

I am looking forward to their eventual installation and glazing too - they will add to the impressive size of this massive 'window'.

Point of order on the point of order.

My citation of the term "The Cheapening" wasn't meant to refer to the lack of progress, but to my fear that the wings had indeed been value-engineered away in much the same manner. "Who needs wings when we already have the giant glass canoe to cover the statue-things?", and so on. (I'm sure that's the way meetings go there.)

I stand by my use of the term. It was merely all my facts that were wrong.

The Speaker: "all my facts that were wrong" is unparliamentary language. The Hon. Member ought to have said that he "inadvertently engaged in terminalogical inexatitudes".

Some Hon. Members: Hear, hear.

Point of order on the point of order.

My citation of the term "The Cheapening" wasn't meant to refer to the lack of progress, but to my fear that the wings had indeed been value-engineered away in much the same manner. "Who needs wings when we already have the giant glass canoe to cover the statue-things?", and so on. (I'm sure that's the way meetings go there.)

I stand by my use of the term. It was merely all my facts that were wrong.

Mr. Speaker, I would like to apologize to the House, and the Honorable gentleman of the House of Fashion. Upon re-reading my remarks, I see that in my haste earlier today I misspoke. I merely meant to say that the lack of progress on the visor's wings as yet has not led me to be concerned, as Sir Novelty has, that a process now understood by the term 'The Cheapening' has been applied to the new construction at the AGO. Again, sorry for the confusion. Please join me in the members lounge afterwards for a cherry brandy.

Am I alone in remembering the column in Macleans or that newspaper magazine (back when Canadian newspapers had a weekend magazine) that featured a beaver that communicated by pointing at text in Hansard with his tail?

He could do a fan dance, and replace Don Cherry on Hockey Night In Canada. That'd be one way to make me watch the game!!

Let me entertain you
Let me make you smile

[Sing out, Jiri!]

Let me do a few tricks
Some old and then some new tricks
I'm very versatile
And if you're real good
I'll make you feel good
I'd want your spirit to climb
So let me entertain you
We'll have a real good time,
Yes sir!