Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

from Daily Commercial News, so posted with the usual caveat...

SUBWAY STATIONS, BUS TERMINALS, SUBWAY EXTENSION Proj: 9100848-2
York Reg, ON PREPARING PLANS

Yonge Street Subway Extension, from Finch Station to the Richmond Hill Centre, L4P

$500,000,000 est

Note: Environmental Assessment (EA) is complete. The Consulting team has been secured to complete conceptual plans. Concept plans are expected to begin January, 2010. The Concept plans will determine the scope of work and budget for the project and are expected to be completed early Fall 2010. Schedules for design, tender and construction are undetermined pending approval of the Concept plans by the Owner. Further update Summer, 2010.

Project: proposed 6.8-kilometre extension of the Yonge subway from Finch Station to Langstaff/Richmond Hill Centre at Highway 7. The project would include construction of six new subway stations at Cummer Ave, Steeles Ave, Clark Ave, Royal Orchard Blvd, Longbridge Rd and Richmond Hill Centre, with 1,900 parking spaces in the hydro corridor at Longbridge. Also proposed is construction of two bus terminals, and a commuter parking lot with passenger drop-off and pick-up facilities. The project will also include construction of a bridge over the Don River at Cummer/Drewery Station.

Scope: 6 structures
Development: New
Category: Passenger terminals; Tunnels, subways

from Daily Commercial News, so posted with the usual caveat...

EA is finished just in time for a spring budget. I'll be shocked if they can find the $8B required to do this and the DRL even using the back-loaded accounting tricks used for the rest of the transit related funding.

The next premiere will have their hands tied for many years, much as the next Toronto Mayor will. That said, they will get to perform a ton of ribbon cutting ceremonies!

We need to find a new way to finance these things like take out a mortgage from Ontario teachers Pension Plan or something. It's silly to fund infrastructure we will use in the future with yesterday's tax money.

??

Isn't this bridge supposed to be built at Royal Orchard, where there is an actual river crossing?

Assuredly that was a typo.

Yonge and Cummer today.

CummerSubway.jpg

I remember seeing that corner from the Cummer bus on many a trips to Rye-High.

I wonder if patrons will be able to find seats on southbound trains at Finch if/when this line gets extended.

When it initially opens, there will be no difference. The same amount of people will be using the line, just getting on earlier. As time goes on and more people take the subway, it'll be harder to get a seat at the lower subway stops. That's why we need to make the DRL a prerequisite for the Yonge extension.

If this line does get extended I wonder if it would be too costly to extend the platforms on this line so that all the stations could accomodate a seven car train sets? If this could be done it would significantly increase capacity as well at putting in Automatic Train Control so they could shorten the headways between the trains.

My wife lived in Seoul years ago and she tells me our Yonge Line is not nearly as crowded as some of the lines in her old home town!

All the YUS stations can accomodate seven car trainsets. That's why usually at York Mills for instance, if your train arrives and you're running down the stairs to catch it, it's usually a little jog to reach the end-door. A 7th-car would fit in if trains are docked inside the stations with both cabooses extending out into the tunnel. Bloor-Danforth can only accomodate a 7th or 8th car trainset at the stops beyond Keele and Greenwood though.

Would it be possible, both financially and from an engineering pesepective, to lenghten platfoms of all station along this heavily used line to accommodate 7 car train-sets? If this were possible it would alleviate a lot of the crowding problems on this line- so would automatic train control though.

Back