Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Aside from inconveniences with politics it would be better for the DRL to run on Jarvis to be like an eastern equivalent of University since it's current alignment would really only serve Union Station downtown. It could veer off east from Carlton to St. Jamestown and Castle Frank, and then run continuously with no stops above ground all the way to Overlea Blvd, and to cheap out have it run outside closer to the DVP, especially since there's not enough ridership on Don Mills anyway.

It could veer off east from Carlton to St. Jamestown and Castle Frank, and then run continuously with no stops above ground all the way to Overlea Blvd, and to cheap out have it run outside closer to the DVP, especially since there's not enough ridership on Don Mills anyway.

Can you clarify how specifically your DRL is supposed to get from St Jamestown or Castle Frank to Overlea, especially if it is to be above ground all the way?

Why would this proposal be better than heading east to somewhere around Pape before turning north?

A stop at Sherbourne and Wellesley, and then to Castle Frank, then the train can go outside approximating that Bayview route to East York, and it will go as far East north of Danforth like the original proposal.

And plus if I were coming from the East and wanted to go to Dundas Station I'd probably not use the DRL and connect at Yonge like always if it followed it's currently proposed alignment.

A stop at Sherbourne and Wellesley, and then to Castle Frank, then the train can go outside approximating that Bayview route to East York, and it will go as far East north of Danforth like the original proposal.

What do you mean by "then the train can go outside approximating that Bayview route to East York?

Bayview, near Castle Frank, is at the bottom of the Don Valley, a long, long way beneath the subway line. That's not even touching on the fact there are no transit feeder routes down there that might provide passengers.

And plus if I were coming from the East and wanted to go to Dundas Station I'd probably not use the DRL and connect at Yonge like always if it followed it's currently proposed alignment.

The DRL concept isn't intended to divert each and every last passenger from transferring through Yonge/Bloor, just offering another possibility for a decent percentage of them (like those heading south of Dundas). A DRL line that comes down from Eglinton and Don Mills, down Pape and then west towards downtown in the King to Queen range will intercept an awful lot of traffic that would otherwise be heading to Yonge from Scarborough right down to the Beach.

Aside from inconveniences with politics it would be better for the DRL to run on Jarvis to be like an eastern equivalent of University since it's current alignment would really only serve Union Station downtown. It could veer off east from Carlton to St. Jamestown and Castle Frank, and then run continuously with no stops above ground all the way to Overlea Blvd, and to cheap out have it run outside closer to the DVP, especially since there's not enough ridership on Don Mills anyway.

No it would not be a better way as it would still not take the presure off the BD, underservice the area to the east as well been more costly to build. You need sweeping curves and your plan calls for sharp curves .

The University line is not a TTC thing as TTC opposed the plan of Metro Planning for it in the 1955's, but since neither had final power to say what should happen, the decision was left up to Metro Council who made the choice of building the University Line.

The University line is not a TTC thing as TTC opposed the plan of Metro Planning for it in the 1955's, but since neither had final power to say what should happen, the decision was left up to Metro Council who made the choice of building the University Line.

I never heard this before. What was the TTC's preference then?

During rush hour they could add a looping train that goes around in circles from Lower Bay to Union and then back again. People could transfer from the BD line at Bay instead and completely have the train bypass Yonge/Bloor and St. George.

During rush hour they could add a looping train that goes around in circles from Lower Bay to Union and then back again. People could transfer from the BD line at Bay instead and completely have the train bypass Yonge/Bloor and St. George.

Not without causing more schedule problems and reduced capacity.

The YUS line already operates at capacity during rush hour. There is no room for added trains in the downtown loop without drastically cutting service on the Yonge and Spadina lines north of Bloor (unless you added trains that ran from Downsview to St. George/Finch to Bloor, but that would just create more transfers and make the system a huge mess).

This is why we need the Drl built asap! The loop downtown is basically maxed out during peek hours and very busy at other times as well. Any delays in the loop causes huge problems on the yellow line. Unfortunately for up that is not in the cards for a few decades.

From Thornhill Liberal newspaper:

"...Tuesday, the regional transit authority reviewed the framework being used to evaluate priority transit projects, including the $2.4-bilion extension of the Yonge subway up to Hwy.7 ....The idea is to have plans finalized by February so the province can take that into account when laying out its planned 10-years infrustruction plan for the spring budget, Metrolinx president and chief executive officer Bruce McCuaig said.
The Yonge extention is competing with light rail transit projects in Hamilton and Brampton...Yonge Street, north of Finch, is already facing perpetual gridlock in the peak period, the report states, pointing out 370 buses a day-in average of one every 30 seconds - travel the stretch....Project prioritizations has been in the work since June. Municipalities were consulted on the methodology and it was peer reviewd by a panel of transit experts. Having a quantitative assessment of each project's value gives the province information upon which to base its decisions when funding does arrive..."

I'll drink to this. Though if it were me I think I'd prefer to move it up to Centre. The line just seems so long if it were to go so far as highway seven. So long that this very well could be two lines rather than one.

I think someone once said that this would pressure them to extend sheppard to downsview? I'd drink to that even more.

As for capacity - let it go way over capacity. They need some wake up calls. Only then will voters go out and demand something.

Has Metrolinx officially recognized the City of Toronto motion to have the DRL included as a precursor to the Yonge extension? I know Council approved that motion, I'm just not sure if Metrolinx actually listened or not.

Back