Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Which Toronto has realized this? TTC hasn't realized this yet. The Y-B station expansion is still in the plans AFAIK, and DRL is only a side study. In fact, TTC just cancelled funding for its own DRL study in lieu of Metrolinx doing the study instead.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=toronto+to+study+downtown+relief+line&meta=&aq=f&oq=

A number of councillers proposed the DRL be fast tracked as a way of delaying, or not needing to expand Y-B station. The fact that it's been shelved due to a financial short fall is irrelevant.

Perhaps Toronto should also petition Ontario to study and fully fund the DRL.

A number of councillers proposed the DRL be fast tracked as a way of delaying, or not needing to expand Y-B station. The fact that it's been shelved due to a financial short fall is irrelevant.

Perhaps Toronto should also petition Ontario to study and fully fund the DRL.
Or those councillors can reject the TTC capital budget, and refund the study.

Is this not an outside community dictating how Toronto should handle it's own business?!?!?!?

The only mention of Bloor-Yonge is in a WHEREAS statement. The only action items are to get the province to finance the Yonge extension project the VIVA/TTC team had formulated and to fund an extension to 16th Ave. Nowhere is it requesting any changes to plans within Toronto.

The only mention of Bloor-Yonge is in a WHEREAS statement. The only action items are to get the province to finance the Yonge extension project the VIVA/TTC team had formulated and to fund an extension to 16th Ave. Nowhere is it requesting any changes to plans within Toronto.

Nope. This was an action item. The request is that Ontario fund the subway extension (+ evaluate extension to 16'th) and the Y-B platform modification. The city/TTC want to study the DRL before committing to the platform modification.

Nope. This was an action item. The request is that Ontario fund the subway extension (+ evaluate extension to 16'th) and the Y-B platform modification. The city/TTC want to study the DRL before committing to the platform modification.

But the TTC already stated that the extension can go forward in the short term without a DRL if the Yonge-Bloor station capacity increase is delivered with automated train operation. York Region is saying it wants to move forward so that means the Y-B platform getting modified is the priority.

See page 35:
http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/About_the_TT...ion_recommended_concept_project_issues_de.pdf

Why is Steeles the logical ending point? There is less at Steeles than there is at Finch (Finch LRT) and Richmond Hill (VIVA east-west and GO). The only thing at Steeles is a political boundary which should have nothing to do with planning transit.

The BCA if it is to be believed says the forecast peak point of 9,000pph in 2021 will be south of Steeles.

The BCA if it is to be believed says the forecast peak point of 9,000pph in 2021 will be south of Steeles.
What will it be north of Steeles? If 8,500pph then subway is likely still reasonable ... if 3,500 then clearly Steeles should be the terminus (I'd guess the answer is somewhere in between).

Unless I'm reading it wrong, there's no way to tell from BCA report because that particular scenario was never considered. No alternatives or staging options are in there except for BRT along the whole route. It also states that even if the subway were built, a third of the demand (4,500ppd) on the corridor would need local bus service?? That seems high for a surface route.

All in all I didn't find the report all that useful as there seem to be a lot of gaps in the information and unanswered questions

Such a design does make transfer easier, but is not cheaper if you consider the extended track layout.
I have an image, but don't know how to attach it.

Last edited:
Main disconnect in the city is that people want projects but don't want to pay for them. Everyone expects someone else to pay. That's why progress is slow.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, there's no way to tell from BCA report because that particular scenario was never considered. No alternatives or staging options are in there except for BRT along the whole route. It also states that even if the subway were built, a third of the demand (4,500ppd) on the corridor would need local bus service?? That seems high for a surface route.

All in all I didn't find the report all that useful as there seem to be a lot of gaps in the information and unanswered questions

Unless there's been a major screwup in the math, there's no way that that 4500 refers to routes like the 97. If anything, it's likely travel in the corridor (how wide an area are they talking about?) that won't be done on the subway, like people just using the Steeles bus. 4500 per hour per direction is many tens of thousands of rides per day and is still an enormous number if spread amongst multiple routes.

4500 per hour per direction is many tens of thousands of rides per day and is still an enormous number if spread amongst multiple routes.
It would be about 90 full buses an hour. Say one every 40 seconds.

TTC alone currently runs 53.8 buses per hour in AM peak (30.8 on Steeles East, 21 on Steeles West, and 2 on 97B Yonge). YRT VIVA pink and blue are 20 buses per hour total. And I'm counting 11 GO buses in an hour in AM peak. So that's 85 buses an hour right now, and that doesn't include the other 5 YRT routes that also cover this route, which surely run at least 1 bus per hour.

So 90 buses per hour are currently running the route, and if near full would be 4500 per hour per direction right now.

Does seem bizarre that load on the surface would still be expected if subway was built. Is this being read correctly?

Report here

Results from the Greater Golden Horseshoe Model show that in 2021 total ridership demand in the corridor is expected to reach a maximum in the peak hour peak direction between 11,000 passengers (assuming a bus rapid transit system) and 13,400 passengers (assuming a subway).

However, not all transit demand in the corridor will be served by the rapid transit route. Approximately 30%-35% of the demand is forecast to be served by the many local bus routes in the corridor. Based on the results from the Greater Golden Horseshoe Model, the demand at the maximum loading point assuming subway technology is estimated at between 8,900 and 9,600 passengers per hour per direction and for BRT technology demand will be approximately 5,000 passengers per hour per direction. The maximum loading point is located at the southern end of the route, between Finch Avenue and Steeles Avenue. The remainder of the riders are forecast to use
the GO Richmond Hill service.

Note here that 8,900 is the number for the currently proposed 6-station extension, the latter 9,600 number for a 5-station extension. If I were to guess, I'd imagine the peak point demand on the subway north of Steeles would be little more than half of what it is south of Steeles.

Note here that 8,900 is the number for the currently proposed 6-station extension, the latter 9,600 number for a 5-station extension. If I were to guess, I'd imagine the peak point demand on the subway north of Steeles would be little more than half of what it is south of Steeles.
Probably a reasonable guestimate given that there are currently 52 buses an hour just on Steeles East and Steeles West routes feeding Finch.

Back